anyone else worried there are too many characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by brains, May 2, 2011.

1. brains

brains Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally thought ROTF had too many characters to the point they had no development or dialogue. Now we are adding increased role for Soundwave, Shockwave, Wreckers, Brains, Mirage, Sentinel Prime and some others. I fear these characters are going to get little to no develop.

2. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

Well the thing that kept rotf from giving their characters developement is because they focused on only the main characters throughout the film. I predict this moie will have more character development.

3. dragonboy

dragonboy Banned

This and this is the last transformers film there has to be screentime for all of them (I hope).

4. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    as long as they sell the new characters enogh for me to go out and buy them(good fight scenes) im good.

5. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    ^Same.

6. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

The character count isn't what ruined ROTF for me. It was that Bay chose to spend all his time focusing on Skids, Mudflap, and Leo.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    There should never have been more than seven Cybertronians featured on either side.

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Isn't that kind of what makes a main character... a main character?

It probably seems that way because you didn't like the characters, but their screentime is around 6 total minutes. Hardly a focus of a 2 hour film.

Some characters had no dialogue or development, and others had a lot of both. I don't understand why people need every robot to have a detailed backstory or personality... they're called background characters.

9. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    They NEED to have screen time

no more jolt bullshit

10. dragonboy

dragonboy Banned

I hope the wreckers aren't background characters but I don't care about the new guys I care about Ironhide only (maybe the wreckers too).

11. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

Nope.

12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I felt like robot character development was a problem across the board. These three probably did get reasonable time, but they weren't particularly pleasant characters and were only used for "comic" relief anyhow.

I thought Prime was the only character that had enough screen time to be involving (even Bee was often treated as not much more than background furniture). The problem of course was that Prime spent at least half the movie being dead.

It's not that there are to many bots to focus on, it's that Bay hasn't handled any of the bots very well as characters in either movie (except Maybe Prime and Bee). I'm hoping he handles them a little better this time, but I'm not counting on it.

I am concerned by the large amount of time spent in the trailer on the building filled with people and the paragliders. These are two apparently major action set pieces that have very little to do with the autobots.

13. dragonboy

dragonboy Banned

But its a small group this time no more railgun or air strikes, this time the autobots will fight for themselves and a small group of soliders will help them.

14. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Yes. The problem is, especially with the Autobots, is that a lot of new characters are going to have be introduced and THEN characterized. And by that I mean, not just a personality, (like how Jazz was the cool guy, Ironhide the dude who likes guns, Sideswipe the .....i don't even know) but depth and maybe some struggle seen within them :) 

15. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Always.

The more characters you try to cram into a two hour movie, the more likely it is that they won't get any screen time, let alone development.

Because of the way they chose to play it in ROTF, Skids and Mudflap got what little robot screen time that should've gone to main Autobots like Ironhide and Ratchet, and the new and much "cooler" Sideswipe.

I'm not excited for The Wreckers or Mirage - too many Autobots, not enough screen time for them all.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't really mind some characters acting like background fillers.

The problem I had with ROTF was that they couldn't balance this. Jolt is invisible for pretty much most of the movie, then suddenly he's crucial to the plot by attaching Jetfire parts to Prime. Next to that, ALOT of the two hour movie was wasted in the desert act which became random shots of shooting stuff.

I'm not afraid there are too many characters this time, if they handle it properly.

17. Lurkertron

Lurkertron Rockerbot

I hope there are as many Transformers as possible. Bring them on.
    They dont all have to have dialogue and hammer home what sort of character they are all the time. There is room for subtlety.

Lots of characters isnt why ROTF failed. Its because it was just done sloppily, without much direction. The characters were poorly used.
    Even still, you only saw Soundwave for like half a minute in total but you knew what he was up to. Nothing more was required really, although it would have been nice, it will be nice, to see more of him planetside.

So bring them on. As many as the computers can handle. Just do it right.

18. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what the Bios for Leadfoot and the Wreckers state, it seems that they are the ones who bring MechTech to the Earth-Autobots so no doubt they'll get characterization in this form. As individuals they may not get too much, but they're a team so as long as we see them beating the living scrap out of Decepticons, i'm happy.

Removing those three as individuals leaves the other new Autobots to just Mirage, Sentinel and Benzbot (that we have visibly seen). Given the Ferrari was seen on set for a large amount of sequences meaning he should get a good level of screen time and hopefully characterisation. Sentinel is likely to get a spiel about how legendary/powerful he is from someone else.

Really I don't think we have to worry too much. So long as each character gets a good few lines each i'll be happy. Bay knows better than to do a ROTF on people again and have 'no-character' characters like Arcee, Jolt and Sideswipe (1 "badass" line doesn't equal characterization).

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Lack of character has been a bit of a problem since the first film so I just don't see them fixing the problem with the last film. You have characters just sort of pop up like Bonecrusher to get killed. You don't really know anything about Bonecrusher from the film except maybe he doesn't like public transportation and he dies.

Lack of voice actors and a lack of non-combat scenes means that for some characters you have to either read the toy bio or buy the comic books if you want to know anything about them.

Until they get designs that will allow for more screen time without eating up the budget I'm just not predicting a live action movie that can add character to many of the bots.

20. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Less focus on Sam Witwicky will make screen time for characters.