Anyone else wish they had Prime's fighting skills?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I watched the forest battle scene like 20X in a row. Watch Prime duking it out, taking on three massive decepticons at once is the most bad ass moment in Transformers history. Optimus is the robot equivelant of not Chuck Norris, but Bruce Lee himself. Though Bruce took on like, 20 students in one movie, right?

What kind of moves are those exactly? Is it some sort of martial arts or a mixture of both?

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I apoliogize but the most bad ass moment in Transformers history is when Optimus Prime runs over that poor seeker then gets a jet assist into a flip over all the other Decepticons and proceeds to riddle them with laser fire in midair before landing and making sure everybody knew he was ready to kick skid plate.

And Bruce never would have taken off someone's face after he had beaten them. He had honor.

3. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Optimus-San...

It was probably Kung-Fu and the best part of that is he can practice wax-on,wax-off on himself.

4. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

It was some form of Martial Arts, I recall on here that somebody took apart the scene and examined every move done.
    It's very interesting, you should find it.

I wish I had those skills.

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    It looked like big robots fighting dirty/street. They just did whatever they could to take the other down by any means necessary. But I liked it!!! :D  :D  :D 

I wana fight like that!!

6. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    His skills are called ''Robot skills''. Duh! :bay 

7. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Bay Kwon Do

8. Tyrannosaur

One move I really want to learn is when Optimus got Starscream in what looked like a head lock, picked him up, and slammed him on the ground while kicking him in the face. That was awesome.

9. Optronix_prime

Optronix_prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, but honor has nothing to do with Optimus, Optimus didn't rip someones spark out and crush it infront of his face only because it was a cartoon televised for children, nothing to do with honor.

I would expect my hero to kill something or someone who threatened my entire race of people too, who cares about honor when he was going to DESTROY OUR SUN?
    Prime made the best decision, in both Demolishors case and The Fallens

10. Optronix_prime

News Credits:
    And Prime (or the others) don't appear to have any fighting style, he just improvises, which I like.

11. Optronix_prime

News Credits:
    And Prime (or the others) don't appear to have any fighting style, he just improvises, which I like.

12. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Optimus Primes fighting styles seem to be a mix of Martial arts, Boxing and wrestling. Examples are when he close lines starscream and gracefully punches then rotates to back hand screamer. While kicking megatron into a tree. Then proceeding to put starscream in a strangle hold, Flip him upside down and kick him strait in the face. Ive watched optimus kick enough ass that I can safely say I can mimic his fighting Farley well.

13. Tyrannosaur

I wish I could do that. If I could lift a little more weight I could pull it off.

Now, how would I replace my hands with red-hot blades of steel?

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will it prevent you from typing?

15. Echnalaid

Echnalaid Watermelons?

Ebay:
    Fuse adamantium to your skeleton!

16. Tyrannosaur

Why? Is my presence on this board bothering you? And no, it will not. Thats why we have monkeys. Smart, trained monkeys.

Even if it does, when was the last time someone screwed around with someone with FREAKING swords for hands? :lol 

Seriously though if the military was to develop weapons like that which can transform for easier carrying that would be cool. But back on topic, Prime kicked ass. I remember not too long ago someone posted all the little details on the forest fight scene.

17. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I think that thread is here.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Prime actually seems to have a very distinct fighting style. I was a martial artist in my teens and early 20s, and something you just learn is that everyone has his own fighting style. Your style might be strictly one discipline (let's say karate), or your style might include moves from many disciplines. For example, Spider-Man has a distinct fighting style, even though it clearly isn't based on any existing martial art.

Just because Prime's fighting style isn't exactly 100% tae kwon do or 100% aikido, doesn't mean he doesn't have a recognizable style. He uses moves from boxing, wrestling, and other styles in both movies. He wastes no energy or moves in his fight scenes, and goes right for maximum damage. Watch 24 or "Taken" sometime and you'll see that Prime fights a lot like Jack Bauer or Liam Neeson's character, which is what you'd expect from a humanoid-shaped warrior who has had millions of years of fighting experience. He doesn't spin 3 times before kicking you, he doesn't twirl his sword each time he slashes, he's just all business about hurting his enemy.

Just in the way Prime moves, a martial artist can see that ILM did put in a lot of hard work into making sure that Prime's fighting style is distinct (or that the same guy did his mo-cap in TF 1 and 2). You can also see a clear fighting style from Bonecrusher in TF1. Obviously, no existing martial art involves a scorpion-tailed weapon, but look at how slowly and clumsily Bonecrusher moves. He slouches. He doesn't dodge any of Prime's attacks. Bonecrusher's style is characterized by slow, brute force and, well, lack of fighting skill. Fighting styles are there if you know what to look for.

I do think it's pretty ironic/cool that Optimus Prime's fight scenes in the two TF movies are actually more realistic than the fight scenes of (say) the Matrix or Star Wars movies. There isn't anything inherently impossible about most of his moves. You won't be able to replicate many of Keanu Reeves' moves from The Matrix without a lot of wires and a reeeeeeeally flexible stunt double, but it's not impossible to replicate almost all of Prime's fighting maneuvers. Just about the only "impossible" moves would be the badass backwards-flip he does to Starscream, him and Megatron's bizarre gravity-defying head-over-foot tackle, and punching through The Fallen. However, I guess a strong person could do the Starscream flip on like an 80-lb kid or something. I just think it's ironic that a fully-CGI character who can do superhuman feats of athleticism has more-realistic fight scenes than some movies with flesh-and-blood performers.

19. Optronix_prime

News Credits:
    ^ That'ss what I meant really, that his style isn't dedicated to one type, that he does his own thing. But you of course knew better than I what I was trying to say :p 

Cool stuff though, never though about Prime fighting being more realistic than other high budget characters.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Well, his hand-to-hand fights at least. Last time I checked, transforming into a truck to land a parachute jump, then using that momentum to jump and tackle a one-wheeled opponent 4 times your height wasn't very high on the list of moves a martial artist needs to master. ;)