Anyone else who bought the Takara MP10 feel stiffed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by crazygalvatron, May 3, 2012.

1. crazygalvatron

crazygalvatron Well-Known Member

I do after seeing the Hasbro release!

Half the price, Bright blue eyes instead of the dull ones on Takara version and painted orange headlights

I would have expected these paint apps on the Takara release and not on the Hasbro.

I really am considering waiting for Hasbro releases from now on and skipping Takara releases if this trend continues. I just got MP11 and I will be pissed if he has a Hasbro release next year with all gimmicks for half the price.

At least I know when Megatron version 2 is released I won't have to worry about a cheaper hasbro version being released to make me feel bad about the purchase.
    I also have a feeling like Hasbro won't release version 2's of Skywarp and Thundercracker if they come to fruition, simply because of the lack luster sales of the first release of Hasbro Skywarp, I don't think Hasbro would want to repeat history.

Optimus is the only character I would consider buying two mold's of, so i've decided i'll try get ahold of his Hasbro release also. Does anyone have any tips for someone outside of the US getting ahold of one. Should I just hit up the TRU website around his release? I want to try and avoid ebay and scalpers.

Let me know your thoughts guys

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    I don't feel ripped off at all. My multiple videos on the figure are some of my highest viewed and my highest grossing videos of all time. I was also able to trade mine for a fuckton of new review material figures, those would have cost way more than $250 to buy.

MP10 treated me extremely well.

3. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have no regret on buying MP10.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I'm surprised people didn't catch on after Starscream and Skywarp were released at WalMart in better colours, or the half price Grimlock with (arguably) better accessories, or the non-broken Target Master Hot-Rod at a fraction of the price.

I used to collect all the MP's from Japan as they came out, but after ditching the seekers and preferring the TRU Grimlock I finally cottoned on by the time of Rodimus.

5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

No, not at all.

Sure, the Taktomy version (MP-10) is a lot more expensive (although, since I live in Europe the difference is probably not that big), but I like the Japanese version a lot more.

Painted silver trailer is better than the unpainted gray plastic trailer from Hasbro. (The only part I disliked with MP-10 is the unpainted gray upper legs and Hasbro's trailer is the same)

Painted silver roller looks better to me than Hasbro's blue roller. (Helps that the G1 Prime I had in the 80's had a gray roller and I didn't even know until 20 years later that there had been a blue version).

I like the darkerblue legs/hands better than the light blue on the Hasbro version.

MP-10's red is painted on red plastic to get a more even look and painted always looks better than plastic color. I seriously doubt the Hasbro version will have that.

(MP-10 also has two tones of red that looks really good and I'm not sure the Hasbro version has that.)

In the end, the only two things I like better on the Hasbro version is the eyes and the painted lights on his shoulders. For the rest...Hasbro is a toy, MP-10 is a Masterpiece.

6. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I get access to both the Hasbro and Takara figures here, so I can compare literally both in hand.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Not really.

I got, probably a 9-10 month lead on the Hasbro version... and i honestly do prefer the deco on the Takara version.

8. crazygalvatron

I have the Takara Rodimus and I would say he is far superior to the Hasbro version, nicer paint apps, toon accurate and a trailer.
    Worth an extra $100 on the price tag? Probably not. But I don't feel ripped because I have the best version with all the extra's.

I'm fine with getting the Takara release as long as i'm getting something extra or better. If not, see ya TT! Hello Hasbro!

I mean I could sell my MP10 on a local trading site and get what I paid for him easily but I think I'm going to keep him and just get the Hasbro one also and just have two Optimus Primes's

I only have three masterpieces MP09,MP10 and MP11

MP12 was going to be a sure thing purchase for me but now I think i'll just wait to see what Hasbro releases lol, in future i'm going to be so much more cautious about my purchases.

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Wait until that thing shelf warms and goes on sale then come back to this thread again. 30%, 40%, 50% offThis is why people wait until the eventual hasbro version comes out.

But normally the Hasbro Prime always gets the fruity colours instead of the usual Prime red. Makes the Takara one a little better.

Then again, no matter how someone here states it, the Hasbro one wins. Especially if it goes down in price. Imagine getting MP10 for at 50% off at TRU? Fanboys can argue as much as they want for explaining their Takara purchase cause it doesn't matter if you paid 1/5 of what they did. LOL

10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted the same thing in another thread, and I got shot down about the Takara version having paint. Nice to know I was right. That said, they REALLY should have painted his lights. Guess Hasbro learned their lesson this time.

Personally, I picked up MP09 v2 shortly before the announcement of TRURoddy. I didn't feel stiffed, because I expected it, and the Takara version is a masterpiece. TRURoddy looks like a toy in comparison, however I still bought both. If TRURoddy looked exactly the same as the Takara version, with all the accessories and was half the price however, I may have felt a little differently.

Oh, and Roller should be blue. End of.

11. crazygalvatron

My Roddy is a version 2 also and i'm extremly happy with him!

I guess we'll just have two compare the Takara and Hasbro releases of MP10 in hand once the Hasbro version is released.

12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I was a little surprised that the TRU version will have everything, including the trailer. I wouldn't say I'm pissed, just a little surprised. On the one hand, I think MP-10 is awesome, and I'd like more of the fandom to experience this terrific toy. If I'm looking at MP-10 as an investment, then yeah, I'd be more irritated.

For MP Grimlock, I only got the TRU version, and was happy with that. For MP Rodimus I got the Takara version 1, but was disappointed with the quality control. I have the US version as well, but I feel justified about the Takara version because of the trailer. I had expected there to be no trailer on the US version of MP-10, leading to an $80 price tag for the bot alone.

I really am curious as to how TRU MP 10 can be a lot cheaper than Takara MP-10 if they both seem to have all the same pieces? We don't know the price on TRU MP-10 yet, but I expect it to be 100-130, which is still HALF of Takara MP-10. Maybe the lesson really is to just wait and see on these pieces to get the better deal?

I think the bottom line is that we need to wait until TRU MP-10 is released, see the price, check out the toy, and do the comparison with Takara MP-10. Then we can have a more informed opinion on this.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Not pissed at all. For me, most of the MP releases are different enough to warrant purchases in my book, and I see this one as being the same. I was halfway predicting it to come stateside with the trailer as an exclusive, and mass release without trailer (guess I was wrong on the second half of that). I plan on having one Hasbro MISB, one in bot mode, and one with a trailer, and would much rather have a different version for that purpose. Some version of this mold was always expected, and although I prefer Hasbro Grimlock, I am glad to have both versions. I will be glad to have both versions of this as well.

As far as 1/5th the price that someone mentioned, or even 1/4th the price (I got mine for $200 shipped). Some of us, even small differences warrant a second purchase. It is how we collect, and if it is a nice figure, dollar signs don't really matter as much.

14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone who has buyer's remorse with MP-10 due to Hasbro's impending release has distressingly poor foresight. Come on, there have been eleven Masterpieces so far. You should know better by now.

15. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Don't feel ripped in the least. Takara's paint apps are better 85% of the time. Can't wait to ship my loot in a few months and get MP11!!!! After seeing the reviews for this guy, he is THE definitive G1 Starscream for me!

16. crazygalvatron

Well I only started collecting since Rodimus and I was expecting MP10's Hasbro release to be similar in terms of having no trailer and less gimmick's. I didn't expect the bot modes to be particulary different. Anyway I know better now.

17. wildfly

News Credits:

W/O knowing what TRU actually expect to sell in terms of units before they reduce it on clearance, having only seen pictures of the toy, i'd personally wait before deciding it is or is not superior to the Takara verison.

But do continue your baseless gloating.

18. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I didn't mention the price. I mentioned the eventual rebates.

I also mentioned other things in my post. Anyway, fanboys will always be just that. I certainly hope that the Hasbro version doesn't get the fruity coloured prime treatment.

% and $ see the difference?

Edit:
    Also no one here has the actual numbers. You arm chair debate peeps have yet to quote one in your long posts . Even the FE Prime went on sale twice.

19. IcedPhoenix

IcedPhoenix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell no, as a matter of fact if I can I'm gonna 2 maaaaaaaybe 3 hasbro ones.....

20. wildfly

News Credits:
    Seriously?

The difference is that w/o numbers, or a proper review, some aren't making a decision. Others have apparently already made their mind up.

As for FE Prime, it was rotated out to make room for RID.

Discount or not, TRU know well that options for MP10 are TRU or Pay $200+ for the Takara version. It's not being replaced any time soon.

Grimlock for example was in short supply. I wouldn't put it past TRU to keep MP10 in short supply either.