Anyone else this dedicated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jazz-Bot, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Jazz-Bot

Jazz-Bot Autobot Reconnaisance

Just wondering if anyone else on the boards is as crazy as I am based on yesterday's events;

So my local comic shop bought a loose Transmetal Cheetor, whcih I picked up. The toy was clearly played with, dried dirt on it, think I pulled a leaf out of his chest. So when I got home, I actually unscrewed what I could and cleaned off the dirt I could get to, then out him back together.

Anybody else that obsessive about figures bought at Goodwill, garage sales, etc?

2. dhampir46

dhampir46 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Can't say I am. I only unscrewed my first TF last week with the Dr Wu Wheeljack head.
    But I might be on my way...

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think that that's really dedicated, but actually just something most people would do so that it can be played with.

4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i saw HFTD brimstone at vintage stock the other day, complete, for only 5 bucks. his paint was scratched up pretty bad though, i'm not sure if i should've jumped on it

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You bought a dirty toy and cleaned it. I don't see what's so necessarily dedicated about that.

I've bought toys from the Junkion Exchange, Ebay, and from local collectors and cleaned the dust off of them. Not because of any dedication, but because that's gross.

6. mirage6530

mirage6530 Well-Known Member

Do it all the time half the fun lol

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Anything I buy loose gets cleaned.
    Soaked, washed, taken apart and sterilized as much as I can.
    Just 'ew' otherwise.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not super dedicated or obsessive. I think that's just good collecting.

9. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I buy sometimes buy custom figures then buy the actual product from the store or website, only to take the original out of the package an replace with the custom. I reseal the figure to the card an on my corkboard it goes. The stock figure I usually throw to my nephew.

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bought two pre-owned BW combiners off Captured Prey I think a couple years ago. They'd been owned by a smoker and were covered in a layer of soot. I took them apart and hand washed each piece and found out that the bird wasn't a dark tan after all, but white!

11. AMG

AMG Old School

I'll dust them off or wipe them down a little with a wet paper towel if needed. I won't pull out a screwdriver and do surgery though.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I took apart a G1 Lynx (from Sky Lynx) that wasn't working and repaired the insides from a spare Lynx. I accidentally knocked the one I was to repair off of my bed. Everything spilled out onto the floor, so I had to assemble the motor fully.

tldr = My G1 Sky Lynx owes me a payment for a repair bill

I've fiddled with other Transformers from time to time :ev: 

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think a majority of us do that with every figure.

14. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    As a collector of loose and MIB G1 items I try to look for the best specimens, but there's lots of times when figures will still need 'dedication' to get them perfect again: cleaning them up, bleaching UV damaged parts with peroxide, replacing worn or even just crooked labels with Reprolabels, buying junkers to replace parts. For example, I recently bought and received a rather expensive Galaxy Shuttle foam insert (No toy! No box!) to complete my own mint but in foamless box (MBIFLB :)  ) Galaxy Shuttle. I'd been looking for that last missing item for over a year.

I consider that part and parcel of the collecting experience, nothing special about it.

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Oh I have another Grail coming in very soon...and because I know it's not in mint shape, I know already it's gonna require some TLC for sure.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What you just did is one of the things that separates a collector from someone who just buys toys. I think most of us have done cleaning/minor restoration here.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Since I buy a lot of secondhand loose figures from car boot sales I often have to take them apart to clean and/or repair or to replace parts and tighten joints or touch-up paint. While it's nothing new, special or dedicated, it still produces a certain satisfaction and good feeling when you take something a little worse for wear and do it up nice again. :) 

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I take apart and clean thoroughly with denture soaks, sponge and soap and jewelry cleaner.

I've always tinkered so it's almost habitual if something isn't working or dirty for me to take it apart and get it as close to new as possible.

19. Jazz-Bot

Jazz-Bot Autobot Reconnaisance

OK, so this is more common than I thought. Most figures I find at places like that are in decent shape, so I don't worry about it. But this guy needed some work. And he'll never be mint again (The chrome was wearing off, missing the whip), but that's cool with me. That tells me he was played with, which is what toys are suposed to be for. So clearly the previous owner had a good time with him and I should talk (apparently I had a tendency to bury toys in the sandbox and dig them up as a wee little one).