Anyone else thinks there's a gap in the market for a new scale of Transformer ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Aug 28, 2011.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    The following mainly applies to the Movieverse though some of the ideas also work for G1 or Transformers:p rime to some degree too.

I've long said I think Ultra Class toys that had weapons with little electronic packs stuck in them so they don't harm the toy to much is an idea that is ideally suited for medium large characters who would benefit from being bigger than a Voyager and Smaller than a Leader for example ;
    Ironhide, Ratchet, The Fallen, selected Constructicons, Bonecrusher, Brawl, Springer, Jetfire, and some others.

And I still think it's a new way to sell old Characters and in a way Ultimate Optimus Prime is an example of this since he is pretty much Ultra Scale when seen as a cab alone separate from the trailer.

But that is not the idea I want to discuss so much today as another Optimus that may also prove a point which is the Takara-Tomy Voyager Optimus + Trailer.

Basically it's almost a Leader toy but conceptually a little different - perhaps in a way it can almost be seen as a modern version of something like a Vehicle/Playset toy like Actionmaster Megatron & Nutro Fusion tank or the like... basically the idea is you take an idea for an existing toy(in most cases) where the vehicle cab part is of Voyager or Deluxe scale. and apply a big old trailer to it.

It's already had a proof of concept with Optimus but looking at Shockwave's Cyberverse Actionset - and perhaps even the slightly silly concept drawing for Optimus where he's got an attack vehicle mode or rides in a flying thrown I can see how that might work quite well in a larger toy concept.

So basically for Shockwave you just start with the Default Voyager toy (only in a more traditional purple colouring) and apply a giant size version of the Cyberverse playset trailer to it - perhaps expanding on the fan-mode eva pack mode so he sort of has an enhanced robot mode.. which would balance well against a Optimus in a chair toy. he's naturally gain an enhanced super-tank mode and a stationary turret mode that could probably be used by any other Voyager (possibly deluxes too).

As I said For Optimus you'd have either the bog standard Japanese toy - or perhaps a whole new back end where the Japanese version of the cab goes with a trailer that can transform and compact over the cab to make an assault vehicle mode (again this would mirror Shockwave) and could also transform into a flattened out base or repair mode - perhaps a mechtech weapon storage ring mode (basically the base proped up) and then the whole thing would sit around Optimus' robot mode to make a flying attack chair mode.

Maybe it could even partially come to bit to reconfigure into something like his wing pack in the movie too. (but that would not be the main intent) - perhaps the weapons display/dispense mode could be what's left after most of the mass is taken off to make a simplified wing pack and guns for Prime.

Now For Megatron i'd do something a little different he'd be the same size as the other two in vehicle mode but would have perhaps a simplified Deluxe like cab that forms into a robot (that could even also be used as a Deluxe Megatron cab only bot toy) and the trailer would form a Decepticon fighter jet (from the production art) which is also what cyberverse megs trailer looks a bit like.. but Ideally I'd want him to get a full on Powermaster prime style robot upgrade to make a bigger robot as well as be able to sit in the jet mode or combine with it in vehicle mode like Hydrodrive Bumblebee does.

And if one takes the basic idea as a sort of Cyberverse playset wrote large then perhaps something could be done with a Deluxe Bumblebee (or topspin) too.
    perhaps you could have his sort of Bunker accessory which would haul him about (or if it was topspin it would be a racing car transport) and the toy could be designed to form a sort of Rodimus prime/Armada Overload like vehicle combination as well as sit in or on it too.

So basically the idea is to make a larger toy but which only the smallest part of (less than half) is the Transformer and the rest is a huge accessory / Trailer or vehicle.

The only problem is it might be a bit expensive - but to my mind it seems like something with more play value than another giant Bumblebee.

And since the main figure would be smaller it can become part of your main collection rather than being force to just be a display piece like all the giant bumblebees are. (modern they are the equivalents of Supreme Cheetor)

Opinions...?

2. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    One thing that I'd like to see in the future are more accessories. It would be nice if some of the TF Prime toys came with accessories or play sets that the figures could interact with, like the ground bridge or the Decepticon medical bay.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I'd definitely agree with accessories, but more along the Target Master type. Hasbro instead of selling legends class characters as tiny vehicles, maybe they could make weapons that higher classes could use. You could give them connect and combine functions. This way even older TFs could use them. I think most of the pegs for the last few years are uniform anyway.

4. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

We need a class that's in between deluxe and voyager. For classic seekers, Prime and Megs.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    You're misremembering, Ultra class was not that large. It was not a voyager + extra base mode size. It was a voyager + 10-15% size plus electronics. I remember having them on display next to some voyagers and there wasn't that much of a difference.

If anything, I'd agree that hasbro should center more on some targetmasters in legends class, or just drop the A class characters they shoehorn into the supreme class and make something fitting.

Don't think that a supreme omega suprime [Prime,Animated? whichever] will sell? Give him a kick-ass centric episode in said cartoon.

6. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

or make the Autobots into a scout class.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if we look back at G1/G2 stuff, we did have a class like this, and those guys (along with Inferno) fit right into it. I don't remember the sizes being classified the way they are now, but it's visible.

Mind you, deluxe figures were also a bit smaller & whatnot do to expanding a lot less from their alt modes, but if one was to compare the G1 Optimus (minus the trailer of course) & G1 seeker mold to modern toys, we'd probably see that they're somewhere in between Deluxe & Voyager. I guess one could argue that BW Megas were in between this pretend size & Voyagers, but yeah.

Personally, I'd be for it. More sizes equals things not only being in better scale with each other, but it also equals for a better chance of getting figures in whatever size they work best in. However at the same time, it can also be trickier to sell to stores in large volumes, and it also means that parts & certain machinery can't be as standardized.

... not like any of that should really be a problem, especially now that we've got the new commander class & now that everything else has been downsized, but there's always another side to the story.