Anyone else surprised there hasn't been more Classics repaints/rereleases?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chronosprime, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Chronosprime

Chronosprime Well-Known Member

Was just looking through my collection of classics last night and it hit me that there hasn't been almost any repaints of the classics for mass release (not including exclusives for conventions). Classics Starscream has seen G1 paint and Acid Storm repaints for US. Prime sorta counts w/ sdcc Nemesis for sale on HTS. Then there is Hot Rod who still gets high bids amount on ebay that hasn't had a repaint for such a sweet mold. Mirage/Grimlock have the special edition setup that was only sold thru HTS, oh and Mirage was one of the 4 walmart exclusives. Do you think there are any plans to rerelease these figures or repaint them? They are more solid of a toy then the movie toys by far, Classics prime is arguably the best voyager toy made...

thoughts?

2. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

How have they not remade Hound into Swindle? That's all I want to know.

3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I've underlined the 'mass releases'. Everything has a repaint, even if it's just a more accurate Henkei version (except for poor Cliffjumper and Ultra Magnus, which are repaints themselves).

Classics Starscream had: Acid Storm and Skywarp as Hasbro releases. Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ghost Starscream, Starscream for Takara release. It was retooled into Ramjet for Hasbro release. It was retooled into Ramjet, Dirge, and Thrust for Takara release.

Bumblebee has his Henkei counterpart and his own repaint in the same line as Cliffjumper.

Jetfire was repainted into Treadbolt, a Botcon exclusive, and now a Takara exclusive.

The Voyager Prime mold not only had SDCC Nemesis Prime, but Ultra Magnus as well for Hasbro releases... not to mentioned Shattered Glass Optimus Prime. Convoy, Clear Convoy saw Takara releases as well.

Hot Rod has two repaints from Takara: Wildrider (very limited) and a Henkei Rodimus.

Mirage had: Fracture, a Hologram Mirage, and Dragstrip for Hasbro releases. Takara did their Henkei and clear one as well.

Will they re-release the original figures, with original paint schemes, from Classics and Universe? I'd be very surprised. Repaints are always a possibility.

What else would you want Grimlock painted into? The only way I'd want to see Megatrons mold redone, is if they made it closer to Henkei colors. It's a possibility, as they did it with Starscream. Astrotrain really doesn't have a whole lot of repaint options, unless they want to cheese out, put a new paint job on it and call it Blastoff. Worse things have happened though!

Good question. It'd take a little retooling though.

4. Chronosprime

forgot about treadbolt.

it's just odd when they take horrific molds like Dreadwing and repaint it into Overcast and Fearswoop...then there is Hot Rod mold and they don't do anything with it.

Grimlock could stay grimlock with a different color scheme...not the gold scheme from animated or fire scheme but something else.

5. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I'm surprised that e hobby hasn't done any Classics/ G1 repaints (Hound as Detritus, etc)

6. Zherbus

News Credits:
    Oh, there was a Dark Hot Rod too. But that was a Botcon exclusive.

:lol  I had to look him up.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Have you guys forgotten Grimlock already got did as Overkill?

8. Chronosprime

no I didn't, listed it in initial thread about 4 hts exclusives for special editions.

just seems odd they haven't rereleased more from the classics line when it's look on so favorable and they proceed to release a ton more from cybertron lineup as movie exclusives/etc.

9. Zherbus

News Credits:
    They did do some Universe Legends as movie repaints. Personally, I'm kind of hoping they're done with Cybertron repaints, but I know better.

10. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am surprised there still no Sunstorm, either by Hasbro or Takara.

Or Takara making a proper Ultra Magnus repaint of OP.

I think Takara cancelled their Nemesis Prime?

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm perplexed that Takara's not made Sunstorm and Detritus - or others based on Sideswipe or Sunstreaker as E-hobby exclusives.

But then you can make your own Tigertracks very simply with some parts swapping.

I was kind of expecting Hasbro to repaint Classics Optimus in Movie flame deco - but no sign of that as yet.

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think Tankor (Octane) has been repainted, not including the Henkei release.

Megatron also. Although his Henkei release is pretty much a repaint itself.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm not surprised at all.

Most of the repaints/retools that could/should be done have been: Ironhide & Ratchet, Prowl, Bluestreak, & Smokescreen, Prime & Magnus, Sideswipe & Red Alert (Sunstreaker from the mold was quite the bonus), and Bumblebee & Cliffjumper even though they weren't exactly repaints of one another in G1.

Of the molds used so far, the only real repaints left should be random Season 1 style Seekers and the retool from Inferno to Grapple. Anything else is not G1 accurate.

14. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably 3.0 will have a lot of repaints.