Anyone else slightly bothered by the lack of scale in the Universe Classics line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Jul 12, 2008.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This isn't the end of the world or anything but I hope Hasbro settles on the current 2.0 scale. I always felt that there was to much of a size gap between Prime/Megs and the rest of the TF's in the line. Now that the 2.0s are out they're bigger then the previous classics and size up better with the leaders. I hope it stays that way, although Powerglide, Onslaught, and Silver bolt look pretty huge.

2. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Scale's never been an issue to me toywise.. i tend to prefer smaller figures (deluxe/voyagers) for the most part anyways, just for space reasons, but so long as it's a good toy I dont really worry about scale. It's so inconsistant thru the franchise that it's never really bugged me. What *does* bug me though is that Galvatron's a Deluxe and Powerglide is a massive honking ultra, or whatever they're calling that class now. That just seems backwards to me.

3. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voyager Prime should have been a little bit bigger. The new Galvatron and "Tankor" *cough* Octane *cough* should have been Voyagers, as should have Starscream and the other seekers IMHO. But, I agree with you.

I am happy despite that, that we have a lot of great Universe/Classics 2.0 stuff coming out. :) 

4. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I'd be down with a consistent scale, but i guess the problem is the whole "mass-shifting" thing when it comes to appropriate alt modes. For example, in these classics, Tankor/Octane should clearly be much bigger than Prime, say, because a whacking great plane will clearly dwarf a truck. But then Prime has traditionally always been one of the larger robots, so a "large" Tankor might be just as irritating for some people as a small plane is for others.

They didn't even do a consistent scale with the Movie toys, and those - in the film - were in a very clear, non-mass-shift scale. The business side of selling toys must therefore come into it as well; virtually every Decepticon toy would have had to be bigger than Leader Prime to keep the scale, which would mean expensive (and huge) toys, and Hasbro just ain't gonna do that.

So... yeah, I'd be with you in wanting to see some kind of relative scale, but i think it'll always be out the window with certain characters or alt modes.

5. SmF

SmF Well-Known Member

Yes, I am.

But only on Galvatron & Octane, I think those deserve at LEAST Voyager; maybe I should even say SHOULD and not deserve. I'm usually not too anal about this but those two really bother the hell out of me, it's just not right.

But I'm happy they were made so I should like them the way they are.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Not in the slightest, to be honest. As long as the toys are good, I don't particularly care if their alt modes are in scale with each other.

7. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Only line where I was upset about the scale was Beast Machines.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I rather characters that should be ultras made into ultras and characters that are deluxe made into deluxe without recieving dumbass responses from Hasbro about having too many large tanks.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yes.

10. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol scale never existed in the world of transformers toys!

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really, all I care about is how good the mold looks, not how big.

That and how fun the thing is.

12. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I am, it's weird seeing characters be almost as big as Unicron when they should be a lot smaller. I don't understand why the Autobots can't get any Deluxe sized jets/planes, I'd rather them be on scale with the seekers or something.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Scale would be nice, but I understand standardizing the volume of plastic on these toys. I'd like more paint.

14. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    An in-scale Megatron would have been nearly microscopic! So, no, lack of scale doesn't bother me much.

15. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I say scale here I'm talking robot form, not alt.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

How would scale for robot mode work? I'm not quite following you. Or rather, I think I might be, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, the point will probably get ripped apart rather quickly.

17. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Eh, for TFs, I let it slide. We got a Truck cab that was bigger then an F15 in Classics 1.0, now we have cars the same size of a prop plane in 2.0.

18. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

The Binaltechs and Alternators would like a word with you. Scale is the reason I have all the Alternators, and very few other Transformers in my collection (although I would hardly consider myself the typical collector/fan).

19. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Not in the least. As long as the toy isn't a brick and I can get even numbers of Autobots and Decepticons, then it's all gravy.

Mmmm, gravy.

20. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

LOL scale... You mean the way Deluxe Starscream would have to be like 2 feet tall to be in scale with the autobot cars? Or the way where the vehicle modes are totally unrealistic but the robots are the same size? And everyone will have opinions who should be larger and who should be small. Why is powerglide huge but Astrotrain small?

It is as if people in this fandom just figured out the toys never have and never will be in scale for any toy line (except alternators)