Anyone else sick of seeing blue, green, and grey?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by AshesG, Jul 29, 2011.

1. AshesG

AshesG The worst seeker.

As a person who has not been enjoying the Prime series, I have many problems to state about it. However, I'm only going to consider if I should continue watching the show until the end of the season. For now I only want to express one of the biggest problems I have with the series: character over-saturation.

I actually liked Arcee, Bulkhead, and still a bit of Starscream until I realized that they were in almost all the episodes, taking most of the show while overshadowing other characters, and getting into situations that seemed appropriate for different characters to execute.

I know I'm in the minority of people not really liking the show but I just want there to be an understanding of this feeling, and hopefully there can be responses to this that either express similar opinions or help me understand and validate why the show does this.

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I much prefer it to the yellow, red and blue from the movies.

3. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

really? I was getting sick of all the shadeformers, I think we have enough transformers in black, grey, white and silver don't you?

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    The issue with it is that it's a small cast, filling roles that would have traditionally be filled with other autobots. I like this small cast set up, but I wish the writers broke the mold out a bit. Whenever you see Airachnid you KNOW Arcee will always be involved. Breakdown brings out Bulkhead without hesitation(From a writing point of view).

I don't mind the team doing a lot of stuff. I do mind them being pigeon holed into their nemesis. I'd love to see an episode where Arcee has to deal with Breakdown all of the sudden, or Bulkhead having to match wits with Airachnid. Prime is playing it way too safe, too formulaic.

5. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I have not given it much thought about character over-saturation.

I just watch the cartoon for pure enjoyment.

Attached Files:

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What bugs me is the lack of Knockout.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll disagree with you when you say they are taking spots from other characters when they would be more fitting for the situation, just look at the last five episodes.

Ep 16: Breakdown is Bulkhead's rival, him being main character was expected
    Ep 17: Jack's mother was in danger and Airachnid was involved, Arcee no brainer choice
    Ep 18: Breakdown AND Airachnid as villains ,again Bulkhead and Arcee expected
    Ep 19: Arcee needed to be there to set up the next episode and Bulkhead REALLY fits the "holding roof" plot-line, not to mention Miko is Bulkhead's friend
    Ep 20: Airachnid and Starscream, both killers of Arcee partners were the villains, again no brainer for Arcee to be the main villain

They are only choosing which character can deliver more in each situation, Optimus and Bumblebee being the main characters in all of those five just wouldn't have the same dynamic. Plus the show since day one is being written with 3 seasons in mind, I'm sure they plan to give everybody their spotlight time. We already know in Season 2 Bumblebee will have an arc about his voice for example, and you just KNOW Optimus and Megatron will be the spotlight during season finale since they're always the spotlight in season finales.

8. AshesG

AshesG The worst seeker.

That's just about how I feel as well. The characters (mainly the bots, not really the cons) seem to not want to communicate with each other in an informal manner unless it's with their partners, who of which have not really shown to like each other but only seem to work together when someone (Miko) gets them in dire situations they somehow have to get out of.

I feel like the cons are the only well written characters of the show relationship wise. So far we've seen informal conversations to show unique relationships and later have a personal reflections on with:
    Knockout-Starscream
    Breakdown-Knockout
    Starscream-Airachnid
    Airachnid-Breakdown
    Soundwave-Soundwave

All of these have been characters who have had scenes together having interaction with each other based on their own traits bouncing off each other which has only happened between the bots with human partners.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I love Starscream, I think he makes the whole show, but yeah, they're over-exposing Arcee and Bulkhead. Christ what has Ratchet even done?

10. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

Hmmm.... I can see how some people might get annoyed at that, but it doesn't bother me at all. The others will get their time to shine eventually.

Besides, I like it when it follows the interesting characters. :p 

11. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

It doesn't bug me that much. I'm actually a little tired of seeing Bumblebee so heavily focused on (in general, not in Prime, obviously). I still love the guy, but enough is enough. I really do hope they get Prime involved soon. If the Bulkhead/Arcee thing continues on into the second season, though, I might have a problem. Again, nothing against their characters at all--but what has Ratchet been doing? What's Raf been up to? Has Optimus taken up knitting? Because it seem as though he's had a lot of spare time recently.

As for Starscream, I absolutely adore him, and have no problem with him. He's been used quite a bit, but this Starscream seems like he'll have more to bring to the table; he actually thinks about things!

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Then why are they following Bulkhead so much?

He's easily one of the least interesting characters in the show.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How exactly? He's friends with Wheeljack, rivals with Breakdown, had great moments in Deus Ex Machina and Rock Bottom. He's easily one of the best in-show characters, and he doesn't have to be a LOL CLUMSY JOKE that is randomly a scientist to do it too.

He got more going for him than Ratchet and Knock Out (fan favorites judging from the random cheering everytime they're mentioned at panels).

By the way, looking at numbers, out of 20 episodes only 6 got Bulkhead as focus, I think people are just thinking it's more because 3 of them were during the last 5 episode batch.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt I'll ever become tired of Arcee and Starscream.

Bulkhead? Eh, I dunno. He's alright, but I'd like to see them focus on the other Autobots more.

15. AshesG

AshesG The worst seeker.

I know they put those certain characters in those specific situations with each other for dramatic tension between them but is seems ill-paced when they could be building that up with other characters. say like Ratchet taking on Knockout or Raf being the one to get stuck in a cave with Bumblebee holding two smaller boulders to keep them alive. I feel like they put the characters in the wrong places.

In the recent episode, "Partners", would it not have been appropriate for Arcee, a character who was willing to blow the head off of a con on a hospital bed, about to blow the head of the con who killed her friend begging for mercy but seeing Optimus, her commanding officer that spoke of nobility and second chances before being left alone with her enemy, standing before her instead of Bumblebee, whose only effect was making big sad eyes instead of trying to physically stop her from going against orders?

The writers over saturate Arcee to the point of having her in so many things that they barely know what to do with the other bots. I know so much about her in that I feel like the series has been on for a long time and know so little about a character like Ratchet or Raf that it feels that the series has just begun, even though we're 20 episodes in.

16. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

I feel like one of the few wants some more development for Soundwave. Yes, I know he has no voice, and basically no emotion, but maybe we can see how he truly thinks. Maybe, he can turn out how we thought Shockwave was gonna turn out in the movie, a silent, ruthless murderer.

I'm ok with Arcee, Bulkhead, and Screamer getting the spotlight, just as long as it doesn't continue for ALL of season 1.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    YES. Soundwave is one of the most underused characters in this show. He's absolutely awesome, and it's such a shame he's been featured so little.

18. superninjapuppy

superninjapuppy Pretender

I will agree that we have been seeing a bit too much of Arcee. I would like to see more of Optimus, Ratchet, Soundwave and especially Knockout. An episode or two focused on the Decepticons would be pretty awesome.

19. AshesG

AshesG The worst seeker.

But what do those characters have going for them?

Remember in Animated how Ratchet's first rival was Lockdown? After that it shifted to Shockwave when Lockdown went to being Prowl's rival, and even so, Shockwave's final battle was with Bumblebee and Bulkhead.

The characters shouldn't be restricted to their rivals and partners. Instead they show have many traits and skills that put them in situations with a variety of the other characters. It makes things more interesting and slows the show down to a relaxing and more identifiable pace. When there are huge revelations being made after every 2 episodes with the same characters it makes the show and writers seem either restricted and having favorites when coming up for episode, not letting other characters shine.

20. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    This this and this!

The single greatest interpretation of Soundwave get little to zero screentime, while Arcee and Bulkhead, the two most boring characters in the show, get all of it.

Starscream on the other hand, can have his own spin-off as far I'm consered. He's insanly awesome and the more he is in an episode decreses it's suckage by a LOT.