Anyone else remember the old Billy Quan episodes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Chances are there aren't many people here who saw Almost Live!, either when it started as a local Seattle show or its later brief stint on Comedy Central, which is what 'Mind Your Manners' aired as part of.

Me, I used to LOVE it. I still have one of the Christmas specials on tape, and wish I could get the rest on DVD.

"Be Like Billy - Behave Yourself!"

--Moony

3. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I remember seeing that when I was like 12 on comedy central, I loved that bit, I wish it would have stayed on longer.

4. Moonscream

News Credits:
    IIRC, since the show's humor depended so much on viewer's knowledge of Seattle and the local areas from the very beginning, the writers had a hard time adapting it to a national audience without losing its very core. It ended up back on local Seattle TV as a series of specials after the Comedy Central contract ended.

I also remember hearing something about Nancy Guppy, one of the writers/performers, being hired with her husband to develop a show or something in New York at the time...only to return to Seattle a couple years later sans both. She hosts Evening Magazine for Seattle now, I think.

--Moony

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

weren't some of these same people on Billy Nye? I know that was filmed in Seattle too

6. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Actually, as you can see in this clip, he was originally part of the Almost Live ensemble cast. He started his 'Bill Nye the Science Guy' bits on the show.

--Moony

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:

I saw the Comedy Central run. Wasn't one of the Sound Garden dudes in the bits called something like Questions For the Heavy Metal Community?

8. Moonscream

News Credits:
    You're thinking of 'The Lame List', which was a recurring bit wherein things were judged 'What's Weak This Week' by the local heavy metal community. They didn't name the participants, tho, so I don't know.

At least one member of Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam were on the occasional episode, like the Christmas ones, especially those bits to do with grunge (reminds me I need to see if anyone uploaded 'The Grunge Who Stole Christmas' to YouTube). I pulled out my VHS tape with 'Almost Live's Guide to Living in Seattle', one of the Christmas shows, and 'Almost Live People's Choice' show for 1995 and watched 'em last night. :)  Its so sad to see how much USED to be there and isn't anymore...

--Moony