Anyone else regret buying movie toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lebowski, Sep 9, 2008.

1. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

I'm a sucker for anything new, so of course I grabbed all of the movie toys when they came out. I really regret getting half of them. In fact, after giving most of them to my son (and waiting for him to tire of them as well), I sold a bunch on ebay for mere peanuts on the dollar.

I'm going to try real hard not to get roped in next summer. Real hard.

Animated on the other hand, I can't get enough of. I can't see ever regretting those purchases (famous last words).

Anyone else hate looking at their movie toys?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Real Gear and anything else that didn't appear on-screen, definitely. I'm SO glad I never sprang for Leader Megatron. Or Ultimate Bumblebee. Or any of the Legends. Or Scouts. Or Fast Action Battlers (except Frenzy). Or Cyber Slammers. Or Robot Replicas. Or any of the repaints.

Looking back, I don't have it that bad. :) 

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i haved bought the odd one and sold em on ebay coz i just couldnt get away with them. they look cool in pics but not so much in real life (imo). even my favs that i kept , landmine, longarm and stockade are not displayed. might be coz i grew up with transforming robots looking like robots, big blocky, mean robots

4. Jordo02

Jordo02 Well-Known Member

i am kind of in the same boat. i just do not regret buying starscream and jazz, because those are the two i collect most of.

5. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I bought the Premiums later on in the year begining with Ratchet and I love them. I have a rule for collecting and that is they must resemble something in the real world. Thus I haven't bought megatron and I haven't bought anything from Animated either even though I like the line and cartoon. Nope I love my Premium movie figures. If I hold out in TF2 movie figures it will be for premiums.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Outside of Binaltech/Alts, the movie line is my favorite line in 25 years of collecting... so I'd have to say no regrets here.

The question for me is, can anything ever TOP the movie line?
    Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for TF2.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  7. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

I did manage to avoid Real Gear and Ultimate Bumblebee.

I was recently seduced into buying Ultimate Bubmlebee at the $35 price point however (Walmart). I'm a walking contradiction! I usually am happy with all big bots though (Movie included).

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I regret buying Swindle. Thats about it.

9. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I managed to go without buying a single movie toy, and boy do I feel good about the decision... I received Landmine and a Legends pack as presents, and they are OK, but I wouldn't have forked out for them.

10. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    To be fair I only purchases a small subset of the large number of movie figures that were released. I was short on money at the time and didn't really take to the movies robot asthetic.

Of the few I got, I really love Leader Prime. He is just awesome and I am really annoyed that I missed out on some of the cheap ones in the UK recently.

The rest I just plain loathe. Barricade looks great in the package but is a piece of junk, with strangely bent knees and a daft rubber face. CC Bumblebee is another deluxe which, like Barricade, looks sweet on the shelf but falls apart when you open him up. Both of my BBs were floppy messes of plastic and I cannot stand to display them.

A few others weren't too bad. Ironhide stands out as being one of the better than expected figures for me, but only after I had repainted him to make him look less black.

In all honesty, the movie figures get little love from me. My shelves are full of G1 and animated figures at the moment. I will be shuffling them around soon to add binaltechs and alternators in place of the G1 stuff but I don't think I will ever display movies figures :( 

11. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

Ugh. Agreed. Definitely a low point for the line.

I liked:
    - All Bumblebees
    - All Leaders (even Megs - I sold my regular and bought Premium though)
    - Barricade
    - Ratchet
    - Incinerator
    - Ironhide
    - Robovision Prime
    - Target Jazz
    - And the highlight of the line for me - Landmine

I guess that's about half. I'll at least be more discerning next time.

12. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I do regret having most of them. Waste of money when I could've better wasted money on better toy robots.:D 

I think I only like a handful of the Movie toys, but they still pale in comparison to the supreme awesomeness of most other TF lines.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I regret buying the initial releases of some of the on-screen characters, given that the Premium series came out and gave many of them better paint applications. But, I didn't know at the time that the Premium series would be released and I wanted the toys. Because of this, though, I'll be a bit wary about jumping at the first chance to get TFTM2 toys, unless they come out with Premium-esque decos to begin with. I also regret getting some of the Target exclusive Basics, particularly the E-Signal Flare redeco and the redecos of figures that didn't have Energon weapons.

Leaving aside the Premium issue, I don't regret getting any of the figures from the main line. The Movie line has been one of my favorite toy lines in years; I've been getting very bored with the constant G1 rehashes, whether the direct redos in Classics or the pile of homages in Animated (though the Animated aesthetic makes up for it a little) and the designs in the Movie line were a breath of fresh air and the kind of unique ideas this stagnating franchise has needed for a long time. I also thought the engineering on most of the Movie figures was very good, with complex transformations, excellent articulation and good stability in both modes. Some molds were a little disappointing, but there are none I regret buying.

14. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

That's my problem. I usually have the cash and can buy one of everything. I'm 34 with a decent job, but I'm not flush with cash - I have to prioritize. If it comes down to new work pants and a Leader Brawl that I don't need - I'll go with the toy every time!

Me too, plus Classics. G1 is my first love (most of my collection is reissue centric).

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I only collect on screen characters and I have no regrets.

The line was extremely different in terms of esthetics. Not my favorite line but it has many highlights in terms of figures so it is not a total waste.

Nope no regrets.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

16. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, movie line = REGRET for me, but not as much as the Armada toys that I still can't figure out why I bought. I think the only Bayformer I ever feel compelled to reach for and play with is Ratchet.

17. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope i dun regret getting them at all since i only bought the toys of on-screen characters. (no repaints stuffs for me)

Still loving looking at em' every now & then.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I regret buying the different versions of each character: premium, target exclusive and so on. The premium series was such a disappointment other than voyager megatron. Im glad I didnt get the movie legends or robot heroes.

19. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I like them because I loved the movie. So I don't regret buying the main cast at all. And they aren't terrible toys anyway, I like the ones I have, and I look forward to spending big next year.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No regrets with the Movie line, it was as fun to collect as any other line of Transformers.