anyone else played/playing tomb raider anniversary?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I finished tomb raider legend a month ago in preparation for this game coming out. I got it when it came out last week for the pc (I am using a control pad) and beat it last night. I ended up getting it for free, because a friend of mine picked it up for me, but then went across the country without ever asking me to pay her back.

I have to say that while I do like it, graphics not withstanding, the original is much better. this version relied too much on the grappling hook and pole swinging techniques, and much less on the ridiculous leaps of faith that the original version had. that coupled with the larger areas of the original are what made it so endearing to me. yes, they revisited all of the areas of the original, but it seems like they greatly reduced the size of said areas in anniversary, as well as simplified many of the puzzles.

I also was not too keen on the boss battles, and their insistence on using that infernal rage/target lock thingy for extra damage.

I do feel that the game did do a nice job of adding in lara's newer moves to the older game, and if that's your cup of tea, then great. it's also hard not to mention the ridding of the "grid" system of all of the pre-legend games. that alone does a great deal for adding realism to the game, a great improvement in my book.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Question are the graphics in the PC version of Anniversary on par with the graphics in Legend?

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

well, I'm not sure about the pc version of legend, because I played the original xbox version, but the pc anni. graphics are certainly better than that one.

my buddy has the ps2 ann. game, and it looks like absolute crap compared to the pc version on my computer with the settings jacked up all the way.

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

LOL i just remebered that i have the any demo

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I never liked the controls of the PS1 Tomb Raiders. I really like what they did with the controls for Legen. I might try out Aniversery.

6. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I got Anniversary for PS2 a week or two ago, have been playing it sporadically. Some of the puzzles I really, really hate... mostly because some aren't obvious, and others require 30+ seconds to get set up for again if you miss the last jump or whatever... it's a lot of fun when not being held up, and certainly nicer than the last TR game I played (TR2, and I gave up not far into it). I did play the first maps of the first TR game, and think that while the puzzles are far more obtuse, level-design wise, it's a far better game.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oh man, I'm pretty sure tr2 is my favorite of the series, especially the "great wall" levels in the beginning and end of the game. too bad you gave up on it, I'd say give it one more chance!

8. ashe5k

ashe5k Well-Known Member

I'm actually liking Anniversary ALOT better than the first game. It just...feels better to me. I think I like Legend over Anniversary though. It had a sense of urgency that kept me mvoing forward. I find myself goofing off alot in Anniversary just because I can.

9. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Although i only have the demos of both for comparison I did notice that Legend was far superior graphically speaking than the Annyversary game perhaps thats why it's not going to the next gen consoles.

10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

It will be on the 360.

11. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I have the PS2 Version and I love it, I also like how you get a gallery of new vs old after you pass a level. Great game so far.

The the Progressive scan on Anniversary look far better than legends to me.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

360 Version

but i wonder how much the episode packs will cost.

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^ that makes sense on the part of Eidos. Xbox360 shares all the same major IP venders as Wii but its like 7+ times more powerful so a straight forward port shouldnt take much time at all. At 30 bucks eidos might not feel obligated to add in the addditional Next Gen graphic content, which doesnt even appear to be available in the full pc version(based on the PC demo).

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    $7.49 each, if the final price for it all (4 parts) is as they say, and remains at $29.99

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^or something like that. I imagine individual episodes will cost slightly more or less than other episodes.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm sorry, WHAT? Anniversary is coming to 360?

Fuck. My PS2 version will look ever more murky now after reading that.

I've been playing Anniversary a fair amount, but the RGB signal really looks like poop compared to my 360 VGA, and really puts me off. Also, the T-rex boss aggravated me, I didn't do the whole rage thing, and killed it with bullets from my teeny tiny pistols.

Thats right, with my freakin' pistols, thats how hardcore I am. Either that or I found the sweet spot in between two of the round spiky things (looking at them, on the left hand side of the right one) where Lara can stand and the T-rex can't get at her ;) 

So I killed the T-rex by blasting away a solid 10 minutes or so...

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    For his next trick, tikgnat will chip his way out of Alcatraz with a spoon.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I messed uup on the first one. After reaching the trex Iended upusing the cheat codes. Sampled every stage then skipped to the end for beating.
    This game may be right up my alley, but need to buy Legend first.
    Now should be a good time to get it used at Gamestop. Think they have it for $25

Do we have a 'game trading' thread? May be up to trading a game for it.

Edit:
    Dammit spacebar