Anyone else play Magic: the Gathering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fierceawakening, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    You have to want to win tournaments in pretty much any format to play blue.

I play(ed). I retired, but I still have access to play way too much for a guy that's supposed to have given it up. I'm still on a team. I've sold my collections that keep rebuilding themselves about half-a-dozen times. I even had a site that I sold to Starcitygames.com when I took a brief retirement in 2005. I never played casually though. From 1994 until 2010, I pretty much just played to win.

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I played in a Type II (Urza Block) DCI league over ten years ago. I still have my membership card but I don't have most of the cards or decks anymore. I only kept a couple of my decks, only the good ones of course! One of which was an all white deck that had something like a 95% winning record. I got out because it was too expensive considering I was in college at the time, and the fact that I had other high-end hobbies like Transformers and hockey cards.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Used to play back in Jr. High...which was like 8 or 9 years ago, recently got back into it with some friends though.

Yu-gi-oh is still, and always was my game of choice though, but Magic is a nice change of pace.

Run a mono-black, black/white, and red/green. Also got a so-so blue I'm working on.

Need to get a couple Wurmcoil Engines for my mono-black though, may get another pair for my black/white, give it some boss monsters.

Wish I knew where my old cards were though, everything I'm using now is newly bought. I had a pretty solid black deck I ran chaos confetti and big furry monster in (love me some Unglued). Had a bunch of cards from unhinged as well. Couple other decks too (red, green, blue, white). No idea where they are, weren't with any of my other card stuffs.

4. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

Around here nothing is really contesting White/Blue, at least in Standard. Lots of stupid birds carrying big swords.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    When my mother, brother and I played, she'd wipe the floor with us both: green and white she played. Restorative and protective white spells coupled with the not inconsiderable offensive powers of green spells in both creatures and temporary buff spells.

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Used to play and still have an online account on MTGO, but haven't logged in ages...enjoyed Invasion-Odyssey blocks the most, kinda lost interest during Kamigawa to Mirrordin.

However, I still get tempted to buy something when I pass by the Target checkout area with all those shiny fat packs and whatnot.:lol 

7. Fierceawakening

I have an account there too Acid, could meet you online for a few games this weekend or something, though all my cards there are rather old.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    What combos do you guys like best?

One of my favs comes from my Red/Green deck.

Use my Rapacious One to get out a bunch of tokens, get some heavy hitters out (Duskdale Wurm does nicely), drop Overwhelming Stampede and hit my opponent for gg and rage. Managed this combo the other night for 130 damage trampled.

9. Fierceawakening

Nice one! I did have a Green deck a while back that ran both Stampede and Garruk Wildspeaker and did nothing but play cheaply big st00pid beasties until I could trample FTW...

Kind of the Magic equivalent of one of the Dinobots. Big, stupid, and highly destructive.

10. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

By far, one of my most favorite reasons to go to Wizard Philadelphia is because I obtain ridiculous amounts of cards there. They literally gave me one starter deck of each color last year. While they were mostly unimpressive, I picked up some nasty stuff. Still, concepts like Planeswalkers and those pesky Battleship Mechanics are best left out of the game.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i started playing it back when M:tG began. But at the time i couldn't afford to keep up with the deck building and frankly, the people that played at our local Gaming store were D-bags of Epic Scale. they played cutthroat and wanted to play for other people's decks. There was no way for noobs to learn the mechanics properly.
    after several weeks of that, me and my friends lost interest in the game.
    we went back to P&P RPGs and had fun at our own pace.

just one of those cases where a few nerds hampered a game's chances of reaching more people. i am not bitter about it.

12. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I more or less stopped playing years ago, though I do play Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam nowadays.

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I played way back when it was first released. I still have most of my cards and sometimes I think about how fun it would be to pick it up, but I never do.

14. Karis Mahid

Karis Mahid My fiancee is the avatr

I don't. The card art is nice though.

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've played since Invasion.

Though it's never been more than a year at a time. I generally get burnt out on all the new sets especially when standard rotates, then drop it as a hobby for a year or two then return to it.

I used to play MTG:O a lot also.

I'm all about the burn and rush decks, white weenie was also a favourite also :D 

16. Fierceawakening

Sadly, some people are really quite D-ey about it all. That's one thing I don't like about tournaments. I enjoy the high (well, medium :p  ) level of competition for the challenge, but it bothers me that so many people don't understand that being competitive and being gracious/a good sport are not mutually exclusive, even if everyone is playing to win.

17. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to play the game back in the 90's, but have long since quit.

And for a self plug, I am putting some of my cards on e-bay to sell so if you're intrested take a look :p 

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I stopped playing many years ago, around the time of the Stormsomething expansion came out. Nowadays I'd occassionally play the console version with my friend but that's about it. I did have the fortune of playing Mark Rosewater at a small tournament in West Covina, CA. That's around the time he was writing articles for WotC. He was playing a Blue/White deck centered around Circle of Protect and Hacks and run you out of cards. My deck was constructed the night before and it was centered around Racks, lots of Hand Discards, and two Necropotence. I didn't have the foresight to make Necropotence the engine of the deck but it was still good enough to nab second place, losing to a speedier Black weenie deck.

19. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I had entire decks that were combos. I just found all of my decks but it seems they all had been underwater. I tossed a couple "stacks" that were so stuck together it is impossible to separate them. I know for sure that there were at least 4 shivan dragons and some other rares in those stacks. The other ones I had survived because they were in protectors. The cards are damaged, but still technically usable.

20. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to play this with friends a lot, I had a few Sliver-based decks.