Anyone else play Magic: the Gathering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fierceawakening, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

Just what the title says... anyone else play? I've been playing since 4th Edition and I've gotta say, the game has lasted so many years and just gets better and better.

Any fellow players out there?

2. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just love how diverse this game is. So many ways to make a good deck, and theirs always new strategies being offered with each new expansion.

3. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

FUCK YEAR MAGIC.

I rock a Black Sacrifice/Discrad Deck, a Red Spell Deck (Stone Rain, Spitting Earth, Thunderblt, etc), an Immortal Deck, Green Elf/Beast Deck, and an Artifact Deck.

I'm not the best player, but I enjoy it immensely and I have some fairly good cards at my disposal. Hoping to play some fierce games at Wizard World this year.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    if I could, I'd make Liliana Vess my wife. No joke.

5. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

ages ago, yes, until they started banning practically all previous cards every time a new expansion came out.

I just couldn't afford to buy all those new cards every 18 months.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Played a little in college. Haven't played it since & all the people I knew who played have stopped as well.

7. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i can get down on MTG from time to time but i only enjoy a casual game with friends. many of the people i know take it WAY to seriously for me to enjoy it.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I haven't cracked open a deck in yonks, but I still know how to roll. Plus I got the Magic game off PSN too.

9. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    whoo boy it has been quite a few years since ive played MTG.

For some odd reason, my favourite cards were the Worm/Wurm type monsters.

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I used to play, I had a stifle deck. That was pretty fun because it always pissed people off when I brought out the Eater of Days.....while stifling everyone else's creatures LOL :D  I sold off my cards long ago. I still have the rare ones in card protector still.

There was another deck I made where it brought out a 20/20 creature after so many tokens were removed. I forgot the creatures name, but playing that deck always had people gunning for me in multi-player games :D  As a matter of fact, I think I still have that card......somewhere.

11. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    No, stopped playing after Time Spiral and all the new rules they've added don't interest me to come back.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The friends played alot several years ago. I usually borrowed a deck from one of them to be able to play. These days I have 3 decks I built myself. Just to have something when we play.

Mono Green Elf Deck
    Mono White Knight Deck
    WGR multi color deck.

Most of the cards are like from the newer series. I might need to change a few things in them. We always play multiplyer anyway so they dont need to be fast as in 1v1. Although the white deck is pretty fast as i contains 20 knights that cost 2 or 3 each and Sun titan that can bring in any of those knights when he enters the bf or attacks.

13. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Yeah.....I more or less stopped playing because of that too. I remember seeing people always arguing over rules when an action was taken. "Hey you can't do that!!".....then someone would always get butthurt over being proven wrong or right. It just wasn't fun anymore after a while.

14. Fierceawakening

Woo, lots of responses! Not sure I can individually address them all, so:

I love the diversity in the game too. And I do play Standard, though I totally get why people wouldn't like it changing all the time, whether because they don't have $$$ to keep putting in or they find that annoying. But I like it -- it makes things new and keeps them from getting boring, and it clears out some of the most awfully game-breaking stuff.

I usually play Black and less frequently Blue. Right now I play a Blue and Black control deck with the new poisonous guys and a Black control deck I'm trying to finish that kills everything and then plays one of the new huge guys that gets stuff back for me. ALL GLORY TO PHYREXIA. (I'd also say ALL HAIL THE FATHER OF MACHINES, but seriously I do not approve of what they did with that story strand. Karn? Seriously?)

And yeah, the rules changes were annoying when they happened. I don't think anybody notices now, though. The stack shenanigans they took out really were confusing if you weren't an experienced player and really punished new people for not knowing everything yet. As much as I'm a grizzled old-lady veteran of the game and fond of tricksy shenanigans (I do play Blue and Black, after all ;-) ) I agree with them that it was kind of unfair to make the intricacies of combat completely opaque to the newbies, and didn't really mind taking the annoyance hit for the good of the game.

15. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    LOL yeah....I remember that "stack" made for some interesting deck possibilities.....

16. Fierceawakening

The stack still exists and works pretty much the same. They just took the stacking bit that used to go with damage out.

Which was annoying, because before they did that, that was the Zone of Maximum Shenanigans. ;-)

17. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I vaguely remember that. I do remember the fun I had with a counter spell deck which annoyed everyone when I would just keep countering everything someone would do. The deck itself wasn't meant to kill anyone...but just to annoy people :D 

18. Fierceawakening

You have to have a bit of griefer in you to play Blue.

And to play certain styles of Black.

I play both. ;-)

19. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Oh I played all colors. I had monsterous white/green deck. I had an angel deck, the blue and black deck, red and green deck etc etc. I tried my hand at an infinite damage deck, but......never had any luck pulling it off. Though if I did...it would have been awesome!

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    as far I can tell from boards I check out red seems to be in dominancce and they are even calling it RDW ( Red Decks Wins)