Anyone else notice price drop on Alts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unmc2001, Oct 25, 2008.

1. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have been able to pick up some great deals on some alts I had been wanting and was wondering If I just got lucky or have they really come down in price. I have not purchased any for a while until recently(I have been completing my G1 reissues). I figured since they are no longer making them they would only become more pricey with time as they are great transformers. Are people just tired of them or is it just another thing to blame on the economy.

2. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Where are these price drops???

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Are you finding them in stores? It's probably because they're old and no new ones are coming out. Ever.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I think he's referring to the secondary market.

I'm assuming it's just a supply/demand thing. It probably has something to do with the economy, but I haven't seen enough Alts for sale recently for that to be the entire issue.

5. unmc2001

News Credits:
    I have noticed it mostly on Ebay. It used to be tough to find Wheeljack under $50, Swerve under$100, Decepticharge under $80, Prowl under $50-$60. Since I have been looking in the last month I have seen Wheeljack go under $50 a few times, Swerve under $100 several times and even Decepticharge under $40. It also seems that Deadend, Prowl,Mirage, Rodimus and Jazz sell for less than they used to. Maybe my memory of what these used to sell for on the secondhand market was off. I am not complaining as I can get some good deals but I was just curious what the trend was.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I got a Mirage for about $25 a month ago. That's the lowest I've seen one since they were at retail. Not sure how it's relevant, but whatever.

7. unmc2001

News Credits:
    I too have not noticed an increase in the number for sale, if anything it is less than it was a year ago, that is what seemed odd to me.

8. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ive noticed a price drop on Alts hell I just payed 14 bucks for mint/complete Smokescreen but ive also noticed G1s falling in price namely Springer and Shockwave

9. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ive also noticed the drop in alts, i just picked up a Ricochet for 15 last week

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I've noticed the drop on eBay as well. It's been going on for a few months. A lot of them are nearly back to standard retail prices, whereas a year ago when I was buying doubles of all of them, I was paying double to triple. At least.

11. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Is it because of all the newer TF's coming out? Like crappy Animated? :2c: 
    If so, I'm stocking up on the Alts I don't have.

I know I know. For each one out there that likes one TF, there is one that hates it. It's just great for me.

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

This. I don't notice it with Alts because I'm not looking for them, but all sorts of collectibles on eBay either aren't getting bids or are selling for less than what they once did.

I suppose you could always throw in post-Movie hype dying down or the current offerings by Hasbro, but for something so collector- and completionist-oriented like Alternators, I have my doubts.

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I believe it to be a matter of supply and demand. A lot of collectors are concentrating on new stuff like Classics and Animated. Prices will go back up on Alternators....especially the rare ones.

14. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I dont know about the US, but here in the UK I think that this is a result of the stores selling old stock. One national catalogue store (Argos) sold off Wheeljack Alts for six pounds each, since they are end of line and not being replaced. Ravage is about 20 pounds, and I just picked up Alt Dead End for 20 pounds new at an online store. This means that people are less likely to pay high prices on eBay, and lots of people pick them up to resell, flooding the market and dropping the price. Now, if I can just find a brand new Deceptcharge, Rumble and Mirage for 10 pounds each... that would be great! Some types (such as the GTs) are not appearing discounted over here in stores, and so prices are still high.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    despite tough economic times...the alts are getting cheaper and cheaper to get......:D  :D  :D 

16. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is it because collectors are off-loading their collections of Alternators?

I won't be doing that, since it took a lot of effort getting them all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree. With all the new stuff coming out collectors are focusing on other areas. Even some of the older classics are going for less than retail. As for G1 well I think the newer versions of G1 characters might have something to do with that. As well as the cheap reissues / Knockoffs. You can bet that Scourge, Cyclonus, Dinobots, and anything encore will definately go down in price. Look at Swoop?