Anyone else miss being able to walk into a store and buy what they came for?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Oct 1, 2012.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    There's virtually no other mass market product like this, where you can go out shopping for a specific item and not be able to come home with it.

Can you imagine going grocery shopping and having to hunt around for a loaf of bread?

I know this applies to more than just Transformers, but this being a Transformers forum I don't see much need to have more than passing mention of other toylines.

But even now it seems more common that finding a specific figure is harder than it used to be, scalpers seem more prevalent than they were back in the 90's for example. Case distributions are far more stacked towards specific characters. Entire waves will end up being missed, lines will end early, etc. etc.

2. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    I kinda do..Now a days if I want a figure ordering online is the way to go...It's rare whenever I feel good about buying a toy in stores like, Dreadwing I just bought him a wekk ago and he was a great buy...I'm really disappointed on Hasbro choice on ending the last wave of Dotm line, I guess they did make it up for re-release of the 1st edition..It's just that my DOTM wreckers will never be complete with out Leadfoot now.

3. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some people enjoy the thrill of the hunt... not me. I bought a lot of my toys as a kid. I vividly remember saving up for specific toys and then just going and getting them. I cannot imagine how maddening it would have been to try to assemble Devastator, e.g., one at a time never knowing if the right figures would be available or not. Retail around me pretty much sucks and almost always results in disappointment.

4. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

Amazon.com is godsend

5. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AEC was great... With the exception of Energon Ultra Magnus, I was able to find everything in the store without any issues.

6. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I find myself buying fewer and fewer figures due to the fact that they're hard to find in stores and the prices are high anyway. Whatever I do buy, however, I just order online. It ends up saving me gas money. I suppose coming home to find that package on your doorstep after work is sort of like walking into a toy aisle and finding that toy you've been looking for.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yes I do miss those days.

I can still remember going to a store and seeing a huge section for Beast Wars figures. Now its just a small section and its game trying to find that one non yellow figure on the peg.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I wasn't in a Transformers dark time during the A/E/C years.

8. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

It's a whole different time. The game is different now. At least we have the internet to aid us in what we seek.

9. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    I miss it very much, I think it died right around the time of TF: Animated. I remember going into the stores and they'd have 10-12 pegs filled with deluxes, and I could find pretty much everything I'd want (Minus Arcee).

Now, I can't find anything worth buying, my last successful hunt was 2 months ago, after checking with the store for a week, I finally got Airachnid.

2 minutes later I tossed her in the trash.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I definitely miss it.

11. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Not me either. Before I acquired Bulkhead and Arcee, I had to call every store in town I know of that sells toys. No luck. Until finally, one day, Walmart had both of them but only one of each so I made sure I snagged them.

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

I blame all the Bumblebees

13. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The internet is both the cause and the solution to this problem.

14. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Pretty much dead on.

15. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't been able to do that much at all, because crappy Norwegian toy stores only take in the main lines, meaning movieverse and Prime these last years. In addition to bot shots and things like that.
    I got super excited when I found PCC stuff when that was new. And I didn't even like PCC. It was just refreshing to see something new.

They used to have a few Universe ultra figures back when I started collecting though. Some still have them :lol 

16. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Absolutely I miss it. I visited TRU, Target, and Walmart today. I found *nothing* I was looking for. It's just so frigging annoying.

17. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I blame the TF movies. Back before them, Transformers was still kinda just off to the side, just clear of the public eye. But now everyone is aware. Suddenly buying Transformers is ok again. They're actively sought by kids and dads alike, in addition to those of us nerds that never stopped collecting. The demand is growing, but the supply's not keeping up.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    God, yes.

I have not found ANYTHING in a store from the prime line past deluxe Ratchet, and that was back in May?

I bought Generations Shockwave and Optimus at target, but wave one of anything is always easy to find.

finding MP Thundercracker in store was cool, but I keep checking stores for a damn deluxe vehicon or voyager starscream, and I can't find shit.

19. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hear ya. I used to be able to find figures Universe Starscream, Ramjet and all the others who are expensive now.....and not think twice. Hell, I even passed em up thinking "ah, later"......and then procrastination would set in and I'd have that regret of having to pay second hand prices. That's neither here nor there, but yeah.

20. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

Its a double edge sword. Sure, you could find what you wanted before the movies were made but with high volume meant low sales. The movies brought in new blood , the return of old fans and high profits for Hasbro. Now everyone wants a similar mold and make things harder.Hasbro didn't help with the Bee fiasco.

I'm always happy when someone gets what they found. I may never get all i wanted but I am good with what i have.