anyone else love upgraded forms in a TF Cartoon/toy line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

anyone else love upgraded forms in a TF Cartoon/toy line?

Personally,I love this idea. as it shows character developement.

I also love seeing 2 different styled toys based off the same character in a TF cartoon series with a connecting toy line.

examples: cybertron toy line toys/characters,hotshot,redalert,leobreaker.

Armada smokescreen upgrading his body into that white construction vechicle.

hotrod upgrading his body into rodimus prime in the 1986 movie.

animated megatron having a earth scientist upgraded his body into his new earth mode form.

1986 movie megatron,the seekers & insecticons getting their bodies upgraded into galvatron,cyclonus & scourge.

2. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    You don't like Beast Wars do you?

3. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    No because it's rarely used to show character development and obviously intended just to advertise new toys. Even in a greatly written series like Beast Wars it takes you out of the show and reminds you this is a franchise made to advertise toys.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Wow, Optimus sure learns a new body fast!"

"He should, he changes 'em often enough." (rimshot)

5. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    he's right. I remember watching the Beast Wars episode "Aftermath" when they get their transmetal forms there was like five minutes of shameless advertising that I was embarrassed to watch.

Rattrap: I'm a rat with wheels! BUY ME

Cheetor: BUY ME

6. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I do rather like upgrades and armor, not for character development, though. It's just great when there's one really good base figure, and he comes with a bunch of stuff to make one epic robot. See RiD Optimus.
    I'm also in love with Animated Powermaster Prime's design.

7. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

I love it.
    Guess what? Transformer is and will always be a toy medium first. That was how it was born and how it grew to be the successful brand it is today. And I relish it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding himself.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's cool for toys, but I've never seen it used as a consistent method of character development in any Transformer media. That doesn't bother me because I love the toys, but no I never saw it as a consistent method of character development.

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love them. I feel that the Transformers shows cannot be separated from the toy tradition that forms them.

I feel that the franchise's nature as merchandise-driven allows it to portray, in my opinion, certain "cool" aspects that have to be thrown out in other serious shows. The flashy upgrades and gizmos entertain the inner child in me that seeks solace from this dark and desolate world. They allow me to say, "heh, that's cool."

So I think to myself, so what if the characters are screaming for me to rush to the store to buy little plastic versions of themselves? So what if the show is a blatant toy commercial? At the very least, they're being honest about it.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    This is pretty much the way I feel. I like cool toys and I like seeing characters get different incarnations that make cool toys.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Beast Wars was f'n awesome.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It's ALWAYS to advertise new toys. The reason the characters even exist in the first place is to advertise toys.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

LOL Character development?

Armada Starscream gets a color change: "I feel like... Thundercracker." Boom, new toy.

And Hot Rod to Rodimus? What did he do exactly? He found the finger holes, opened up the Matrix, and the Matrix did the rest. Rodimus just drove his way out of the exploding Unicron in good old 80's fashion. Zero character development.

14. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I do. Especially in BW. I thought the Transmetal upgrades made some characters seem more interesting, and made flight and fast travel not an issue for some characters. It kinda leveled the playing field, which I thought made things a little more interesting.

15. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Almost all the TF characters in the Cybertron cartoon series received major character development when they got upgraded into their new forms.

hotshot,redalert & scattershot had those episodes where they were dying & drew on the energy of the cyber planet keys to get upgraded "defense" forms.
    those 3 characters got major character development in those episodes & afterwards.

Leobreaker got major character develpoment when he got his new beast mode form on the beast planet. he even got more courageous & fought scourge. leobreaker then got more character develpment when he linked up with optimus prime as his right arm. then leobreaker got more chracter develpoment when he was jealous of wingsaber & his dark side caused megatron to scan/clone dark leobreaker. lastly leobreaker became the new leader of the beast planet. when scourge left on his cyber keys journey with optimus at the end.

BM Cheetor got more mature when he upgraded into his newer form. even at the extent of being temporary faction leader. then in the end becomming the permament faction leader of the maximals.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love some of the upgrades.

BW Transmetals, the Cybertron Defense team and hell even the TF1 Bumblebee. All Great upgrades. I don't count insert name repaint Optimus Prime as a upgrade.

The RID/Armada/Energon/Cybertron Galvatrons was an exception, He looked cooler with each "upgrade". :p 

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I do. Cybertron defense team, for example. Awesome figs.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was referring to consistency...that's four examples (and probably some more thrown in) out of...how many "upgraded" modes we've seen?

I like the toys, but I don't tie them to character development like you apparently do.

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    A little character develeopment. But those episodes were meant to wexplain how they gain the forms. they hardly got any devolpment after that. Ligerjack/leobreaker got jelous of Sonic Convoy/Sonic Wing prime but that was another ploy to introduce Dark Leobreaker which was destroyed a bit afterwards. Tbh most of the character development for Exillion and First Aid were in on Speedia.

20. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I like my some powering up and super forms, always have. on other shows Power Rangers, DBZ etc its easy to to get new powers but for TFs they literally have to have a new body built for them. So it makes it difficult. Normally I love the "Burning Justice" type of power up but I feel that doesn't go too well with TFs.

I really liked the God Bomber Project in Masterforce way of going about it.

Also yes im fully aware that the reason is to sell more toys.