anyone else irritated at a snowman kit being released?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by siniquezu, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Do you?

The poster you're referencing clearly states that in his opinion the choices by FP aren't the most 'Fan Friendly'.

It's not like he's just making shit up. City Commander and Powered Commander were both stated to be limited runs at first, miscommunicated or not.

Seeing as how the Cliffjumper upgrade was actually limited and not rereleased, people had a reasonable expectation that things for their follow-up sets would remain the same.

Limited or not, I don't care either way. The only thing for certain is that FP is to be taken with a large grain of salt when they say something.

Edit: I make my post from the perspective of a collector who is willing to put down money ahead of time in good faith of good business. If they tell me that I need to buy now because availability will be limited, I will listen as a practice. I recognize that 'Fan Friendly' may also bend towards wide distribution.

2. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Seeing this upgrade kit makes me miss being a customizer.

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I don't, but I didn't speculate on the fact that of if they are making a profit or not. He did. Maybe I should have also quoted the other post earlier (which I included below) by kibble since it is more clear that it was inferred that they had shifted to making a profit. I am not stating that they are not making one, but without either working for the company, being their accountant, having inside information, you cannot state that "something has changed along the way" when referring to them making a profit.

And if you read more of my post, I said that I would be more pissed about the Powered Commander and City Commander (although less with city because I think everyone should have it who wants it IMO).

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with them repainting and releasing of the add on kits, but what does bugger me is the effect the existence of the these add on kits have on the availability and price of the toys they are designed for case in point the classics voyager Prime and its repaint can be hard to find and can be expensive when you do all because of the various Commander sets

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't think that the price of the Primes and Nemesis have gone up. Ultra Mag has but that's a whole different can of worm. Superion's price is lower now with the ROTF version then when there was only the Energon version. If people didn't buy the ROTF version when they had a chance. . .

6. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Slightly off topic but why hasnt reprolabels jumped in and make G1esque upgrade set for superion... that would make the set complete

7. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

"Kinda seems as though" in front of "something has changed along the way..." infers it to be my opinion. You're right, I'm speculating. Never said it was fact. Feel free to disagree.

8. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    This discussion hurts my brain.

Seriously.

Once upon a time, FansProject came out with a really neat add-on kit for Superion. It's parts were molded in a color to make them as compatible as possible with both versions of the Superion mold. People liked it and bought it.

Then, a little later, when the set was proven to be a success, they decided to do another version of it, in colors matching the more recent Superion set a little closer.

So, therefore they've betrayed the fans?

I seriously doubt this was some premeditated attempt to screw over fans. Likely there WERE no plans to do a second version of this set when the first one finished its production run... it's just because it was popular that they can justify going back and making more. And in making more, they're trying to correct the complains made about the first, and give us options.

But because some people like it more than the first set, FansProject has betrayed us, and is a bunch of money-grubbing greedy bastards just out to make a quick buck?

Yahtzee was right about fans.

Buy the set, or don't. Be happy with the one you have, or put it on Energon Superion and get this one. But either way, stop whining like spoiled brats because the newest shiny toy is slightly shinier than the one you got last year!

9. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This kit I don't care how many they release but I was annoyed by them rereleasing City Commander and Powered Commander :mad  because FP made us think it was a limited run. Good news is we all know better now. I have lost respect for FP long ago!

10. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    What the hell are we talking about?

11. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  12. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
  13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Sorry if I inferred too much in the statements, and I can see how it seems that something has changed, I just wasn't willing to bank weather they are making a profit or not. Hopefully they are atleast breaking even, cause they have producted some outstanding pieces, and have even more in the design process. Some of their moves were poor, and hopefully the fans reaction (particularly to the DIA release) brought them back to earth a bit. Every now and then companies do need to be weighed against the dollar. Im almost suprised that there wasn't a bigger uproar at the re-release of City Commander than there was, they really shouldn't have set a production limit on what I personally feel is the centerpiece of their work thus far. Maybe they could have held to some of their other number limits had they not put a limit on their most demanded (I think) product.

Lets just hope for all of us that these reissues are being invested into other cool products for the fandom. That's the great thing about the internet, we can all have opinions, and hopefully it leads to debate, and sometimes results from the companies.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    well from what i have seen they are all marked up from retail but yes magnus is the most expensive followed by nemesis as he was a convention exclusive, and i have not see any of the ROTF combiners other than Devy and it doesn't help that the 2 closest targets to me are an hour away so i don't get to them often so i have not been able to get the target exclusives as of yet

15. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    There is no point to produce something that won't sell. Especially for small companies.
    If TFsource says white will sell well and provide enough backup (in cash of course) to FP then why not give it a try?
    If other retailers ask for green or purple and can guarantee that they can sell out all those kits then you will see green and purple as well.

Simple as that.

16. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

it does looks cool but i don't even have the universe superion

17. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Well said my brother.

18. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Well, here's what you do...

Grandstand from a box of aspirin next time instead of up on a soapbox, that way, you have something ready for that headache of yours...

You're the first person in the thread to use the word 'betrayed'.

In fact, most of the talk here has been pretty balanced. There have been two lines of discussion in a way, the 'Yea, of course they're going for another repaint/reissue/whatever.' and the 'enjoy their products, but don't necessarily trust the PR line they give in regards to it.' If anything, people's gripe is that if this is getting done 'for the fans', then perhaps the much beloved G1-iness aspects should be attained on the first go 'round.

I went ahead and against my better judgment, bought this version we're discussing. It's a little present to me, from me, for being such a good boy this year.

19. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    not irritated. kinda better to know you own the original and not the constant repaints after, IMO

20. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    It's alright, but the posiblity of the whole setup ruins it for me anyway.