anyone else hate twilight?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by thundrwaveprime, Jan 10, 2009.

?

do you hate twilight

1. yes, it sucks crap!

56 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. "tWilighT iS Da gReatest thInG EEEEEEEEVVEEER!!!!!!111!!

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. "thats none of my buisness."

17 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. like it, but not obsessive.

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No offense meant to those who love or loathe Twilight, but having done some online digging I'm finding that the hardcore love and hardcore hate for the series is a little overrated. As far as I can tell (yes, I'm going by third-hand reports and excerpts), it's fairly shallow pap aimed at teens that really entertains a certain demographic and has a rather ludicrous level of marketing behind it, which has resulted in a fairly shallow pap film aimed at teens that really entertains a certain demographic. Main point of interest being that many of its fans are of an age range where they are kind of emotionally flexible and potentially violently don't appreciate hearing criticisms of stuff they like.

I dunno, it's just sliding off me like the Harry Potter franchise did.

That said I kinda have to take exception to the whole "rules of vampires" thing, since I've never been into the idea of a fictional biology being absolute paramount when the very nature of a lot of fiction is to enter the realm of fantasy and challenge the unchallengeable.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Wasn't that many and it was never explicit...hence the dusting. Compare the decaptitation of any Whedonverse vamp to Bram Stroker's Dracula (movie), the differences are quite apparent. Wasn't saying they never did it either, but the "dusting" effect is in place for a reason and it's TV standards. Of course, audiences have changed because of Buffy/Angel and other shows, so now it is quite acceptable to show beheadings. Look at the season 3 episode of Supernatural where Sam slices head off the crazy black hunter turned vamp. Quite explicit.

3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Releashed of the BIRDS and Blade!

4. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

heres a choice

badass creature of the night or......sparkling pansie. the choice is yours tfw!

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

He said 'attacked', he didn't specify what kind of attack he meant. Verbal abuse and death threats over the internet are still attacking someone.
    Sorry, I was referring to the books later on in the series. I have read the first book, and have been told/read plot summaries of the later books, and this is what happens.
    First off, damn, I can't spell chauvinistic...
    I mentioned Taming of the Shrew, not because of any desire to appear as an intellectual (we had to read it for English), but because it is, regardless of the dominant ideologies of the time, a sexist, unfunny piece of garbage.

The fact that Twilight, a book written four hundred years later, after several feminist movements, manages to be, for me, more sexist in its overall tone and message.

Hence the comparative. To emphasise just how bad and unhealthy Twilight is.

It's easy enough for quite a lot of you to say:
    "Oh, it's a teenage girls thing, don't worry about it..."
    Because you don't have to live through Twilight fanaticism almost every single bloody day! Girls carving "I heart Edward Cullen" into desks, before going on to write their own little fan fics about how Edward dumped that loser Bella and ended up with them, with plenty of slash.

They expect their to be boys like Edward Cullen in real life. Despite all their talk of "We're girls and we're equal!", they still want someone to ride in on a white horse and save them. For some of them, you can attribute it to a phase that they will grow out of, for others, you know they won't.

Okay, good...girls are getting into reading, but not any kind of reading that will further them in any way!

6. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

:D 

7. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

why did this get moved to movies and television? twilight is a BOOK!

8. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Just about to ask the same question...
    Damn.
    But Transfo-
    Nup.

I lose.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Ofcourse. But it's the presentation of staking Whedon went for I take issue with.

Forever Knight also showed that staking needed to be followed by immolation. There was one flash back with LaCroix in the Napoleonic wars where he got staked and was near totally paralized. But when it was pulled out he got better. And in other episodes (2 who's titles I'll never remember) where Nick turns someone who then goes rouge he staked them and then set them on fire.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't hate Twilight. I have no interest in it.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

edit: nevermind.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Here's a suggestion.....

State the reasons why you dont like something with out making grand statements that aren't true.

"Rules of vampires"

That has to be the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while.

If you cant give an informed reason as to why you dont like something just offer up an opinion.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I dont like it" hell I dont like Twilight either....and for some of the same reasons you listed, but to suggest that the books and movie are breaking the rules of what a it to be a vampire is just ignorant of you.

You couldnt even provide 1 so called rule after all.

And its a movie.

Ahhhh

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The old legends had so many different takes on that. Some even required the head and body to be burned in seperate pyres, and others had the heart being burned seperately, and mixed with water to be drunk by people infected by the vampire. I just never liked the instantly tunring to ashes bit, from the buffy TV series.

Though, it beat having a one armed vampire stumbling around with a stake in his chest for five minutes, chewing on the scenery....

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Pee Wee is that you:lol 

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yep. Read those ones (from Captain America no less). Another take is that the ashes are given to the family of the vampire as a profelactic against vampirism.

The movie version of Buffy was pretty bad in the writing.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Verbal abuse of any taste is to be expected on the internet. It's a little hard for me to think that's relevant.

I'll accept that at face value, then. For something I don't care about, I don't trouble myself to read or listen to plot summaries.

I hear what you're saying here.

To be fair, while I thought Harry Potter, despite starting off clever and well-executed, ultimately became pretty disappointing, I was happy that anything that got kids as excited about prose, any prose, as that series did.

But in the context of your criticisms, crediting the Twilight series with encouraging reading among young females does seem a little inappropriate. And I see your point about the "Taming of the Shrew" clearly now.

17. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

I read twilight, where the hell where the vampires? All they told me was there were vampires, but Ill I read about was sparkling people. What the hell?

18. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

For everything anyone needs to know about this teenage vampire trend, watch this South Park Episode! The Ungroundable!

South Park Episode Player

19. Spoon

Spoon Banned

And we all lived happily ever after.

I'm not attempting to make anyone here hate Twilight, just trying to make people understand why I hate it so much.

20. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Twilight looks interesting, if i was a female that is(might still watch bits and pieces once it hits tv just to see what the hubbub is about, can't be much worse then bayformers)

And i see all this whining about how it doesn't follow the "rules" for vampires, who said there was RULES for a creature of fiction?