Anyone else go through this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeta Otaku, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm a nerd. Yes, lo and behold, a nerd visits this site... Now, as such, I've been entrusted to teach and educate my parents about their computer. How to maintain it, care for it, use it intelligently. I do this mainly out of love... not for them, no... for the computer I built for them. I put a lot of time figuring out the perfect set up for the user. Heavy gamer? You need this stuff... Just checking mail and documents? You get this...

Now, every month, I do check ups on both my babies (computers). The one I care for, the one I use personally, I am happy to say, is the untouched virginal catholic school girl. No infections, no spyware, squeeky clean. My parents' computer however... the filthy, STD infested whore you find on sketchy city streets asking strangers for money and crack. Where do they go wrong? why must they go astray??

I don't know how they do it. I have a virus scanner that's updates nightly, actively scanning when you download... yet somehow they are able to bypass this stuff with their latent, unknown super computer genious. My Dad finds it funny, I find it a PAIN IN THE ASS, because all of HIS documents are at risk... stuff he needs for, oh, you know, his CAREER... oye... needed to vent. I'm done... time to clean the whore...

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Neither of my parents have home PCs. I wouldn't volunteer to build or maintain one for either. I'd be scared shitless of what I'd find after a month. The DEA would likely be involved.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    so...your a PC pimp?

smack that bitch up.

4. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Between a network engineer dad, a computer store manager mom, a DBA sister, and a DBA brother-in-law, I don't have to support shit. Hahahahahaha.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

That's because you format your harddrive every 2 weeks.

6. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    :lol 

My mum has a comp set up for her by us, but so far we haven't detected any major indiscrepancies in it, but she doesn't surf the net that much either.

But seriously, it is absolutely amazing how people with no technological know-how whatsoever can screw up their gadgets. Just yesterday I got a guy who couldn't even figure out how to plug in his portable CD player he bought a couple of days ago, but had managed to screw up the radio on it to the extreme...it still boggles the mind!

As part of my job, I teach a course in the basic use of digital cameras and have seen all sorts of really odd screw-ups I didn't think were possible...

7. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I feign ignorance for all PC related things so I don't have to do any tech support.

8. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well My parents' computers are fine. They do a great job keeping them clean.

A gal who used to work for me was having computer issues. She asked for my help. After 13 hours of hard work I got rid of all of the viruses and most of the 2300 + spyware programs, but I could not get rid of them all. That was one @#$%^& up computer. I told her what to do to keep it clean, because I told her I would never do it again.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    For the love of god yes! I have to deal with my mom nearly everyday. She just refuses to listen to anything I tell her. She can't even remember how to check her email, or use wordpad properly. She wonders why I yell when she asks me the same question for the fifth time in less than a minute.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Actually, my mom is pretty good with computers. It's really surprising.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Dude, that sounds like my dad! He needs to install something. He downloads it, then asks me what do. "Double click it!"
    "Okay, now what?"
    "There's a wizard. Just keep clicking okay."
    "It's installed. How do I use it?"
    "I don't know, I've never used that program."

I swear, we go through that nearly every time. It's like the man refuses to learn. It's exasperating. I know he's not stupid, and he's been using computers and the internet longer than I have.

Thankfully, both of my parents know how to keep malware off their computers. They know how to check their e-mail, too.

12. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

My father was really good when it came to dos then we got the computer they got downstairs now. Now I admit part of it was my fault being the first real comp I used I did alot of dumb things however I somehow managed to clean up the messes and got the computer to almost decent running. We had windows 98 and it got really messed up and spent months cleaning it. After finally getting it back to working somewhat properly my dad decided we needed to upgrade to xp. The thing is I dont mind xp at all, problem is he was installing it on a computer made in 1999. From that point on its been limping along slowly and now that I have a laptop I dont even worry about the comp. I go down to see how its working sometimes and see if I can clean it up but since my dad thinks he knows everything about it seems to screw it up worse and worse. He somehow made his browser crash to which I remarked I've met the only man who broke the internet. But if you tell my dad anything he just blows you off. So I really dont try anymore

13. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Best way to eradicate any computer problem ^_^

and I haven't formatted this drive since I got it...

I think I'm gonna go format now.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

my dad's 3 year old pc is a wreck. even after reformatting the harddrive it's STILL infected with horrible popups, and has problems connecting to dial up. but he's ok with it, so whatever.

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Yes, many, many times in fact. I used to work for a company that contracted with Microsoft providing support for Windows XP so I got used to it. I've even asked, when talking to some "customers," if there was a kid in the house I could talk too. I miss the most from that job the people I worked with. It was always a laugh riot there.

16. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

having a computer engineer dad, a programing student mother and me being a former engineer(now programing as well) student we usually...well I do maintain the machine on a good shape. my Dad has spyware, but has his friends to complain about that, my mom has never cared nor I touch her Computer. is hers after all.

and my sister....dont even get me started that POOOR Laptop, in the last 3 weeks I havent formated the drive because I have some stuff I want to take out before I wipe clean the bugger- she managed to have virus and install spyware I have no idea how to remove she is like completely and aboslutely cluless about stuff....
    I think the virus scan got 11 viruses, and 1134 in the spyware.....yeah Im pissed....also the poor condition shee keeps it 4 years olf and missing a key.....

17. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I do that as well. Since I do tech support for a local school district. It has taken me years, but I have brought them all from dark side. They all use Macs now. Which makes troubleshooting a breeze and no worrys about viruses and spyware. altough if you make them just regular users there chance of getting a virus is slim to none even if one is created. In computers you always have to plan ahead.

The only problem with family is that with them everything has to be free. Oh well the pies and such make it worth while.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I used to give both of my Dad's computers regular checkups. They were both old computers of mine that I upgraded past, so I had a bit of history with them. Somehow the one that wasn't in any way shape or form connected to the 'net got a series of viruses that just melted the hard-drive. A format/clean/format left it still porked. So on the good computer that was left I configured an automatic spyware/virus/wellbeing schedule and he managed to find a way past the admin settings to disable it because it was bothering him when he'd be on the computer. Nevermind he picked the times as when he'd "never be using it" ala. 12AM - 3 AM.

Since them I just advise him to go for professional help. No matter how basic I make it for him he either manages to bypass it or find a way to make it worse.

19. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

For a long time, that's what my younger brother would do. If there was anything the slightest thing wrong with our computers, he would format.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    compulsive formaters are crazy ppl.