Anyone else gettig tired before it's time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wheeljaxx, Jan 18, 2007.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

I find myslef increasingly tired of what i have. I just got Classics prime, SS, and BB in December, and already i find i'm tired of them on my shelves. I"ve put away my Cybertron Soundwave, wich, i was sure that he'd be one of the few that held a permanant spot on my shelf. I realised some time ago, that my collecting has matured to very specific items, and a very select few remain out of storage, here in my appartment. only 7 in fact out of teh near 2000 i have.

I thought that maybe if i went along those ideals, that my collecting habbits would smooth themselves out and i'd be hapy with what i've chosen to stay with, and what to sell, and what to keep in storage... but this week i find myself changing yet again.
    My shelf has now been redused to my G1 Reflector, my Microchange Browning, and my THS 02 convoy. I even findmyself wanting to re-decorate my apartment, with differemt pictures, and those of you who've seen my portfolio, you can imagine what kind of phots i have hanging in my apartment....

I still look forward to the "real gear" line, but thats about it. no other movie toys. i figured my collecting would slow down, but not to the screetching halt it seems to be coming to.... AND i raelly want to see the movie, and i really like the new toys, i just don;t want any of them.

now, KO Swoop.... I'm dying to get myhands on him....

go figure...

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually don't play with my TFs much during the week.

Then, when I'm making a comic, I sit there for hours on end and just fiddle with them.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Mysteries of life. By Homer J.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

All my TFs are more or less display pieces, every now and then I'll put them in a different pose or re-arrange them but that's it.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The only thing I'm getting tired of is notbeing able to afford everything that I want that is coming out. I'm planning on getting most of the movie toys (probably not anything that doesn't transform though; I collect Transformers, not bloody statues), the Real Gear stuff (phonebot should be here in a matter of days), any Classics I can find, and MP-05, but I have no idea how I'm going to finance any of it. Large amounts of it probably won't come out overhere (meaning import pricegouging), and whatever does come out here is pathetically overpriced.
    However, I'm definitely not tiredof what I have; I was mucking about with G1 Overlord earlier today, in fact.

6. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

ok, clarify issue. i hardly ever touch my transformers. they are for display only. i don't play with them. i'm just tired of looking at them, annoyed that they take up space.
    but i only had 7 out, on a shelf thats HUGE, 6 foot high.

thats why i'm wondering why i feel tired of havimg them around. i still want them, i just dont want them here, out on a shelf, in my appartment. i want them all back in storage. i'm begining to think that i'm on the path to the end of my collection.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I think I've pretty much REgressed where TF collecting & fandom is concerned. Up until Masterpiece Prime came out, I had all my G1 figures stashed in boxes in storage and never even considered bringing them out for display... nor caring about any of the new lines like Beasts, Energon, Armada and all the other (what I considered to be) endless crap with the name "Transformers" stuck on it. And even when I got MP-01, I still didn't feel the need to bring out any of the other old toys. He was good enough on his own and was a respectable looking testament to my TF fandom.

Then I fell into the whole Dreamwave thing and bought up most of their G1 & War Within comics in one shot on a whim. That kind of flipped the "TF geek" switch back on and prompted me to start paying more attention to eBay by constantly looking at the toys I either used to have or never had at all as a kid - Shockwave, Jetfire, Soundwave, etc. But I still wasn't re-interested enough to start buying TF toys again.

Then I eventually heard about and saw some Alternators after surfing over to forums like these once in a while. I was impressed, especially since one of them was Hound - a favorite G1 character of mine. But I didn't start buying them because I wanted to see how the line progressed where character selection was concerned. Once I saw that they released a pretty good chunk of Season 1 & 2 Autobot characters, the collector bug bit me again. I convinced myself that, if nothing else, these Alt's would be great companions to my Masterpiece since they were in relative scale to each other.

Then came the Classics, and with them, my head-first dive back into the TF world. I started buying up my Alternators, ordering the Classics, buying old G1 favorites off eBay, pulling out a few select G1 originals from storage, and officially joining forums like this one so as to stay in the loop about things as much as possible. Since then, I've literally spent a couple thousand dollars replenishing my TF collection and more time that I want to admit reading & commenting about TF's on this forum as well as others. It actually became all-consuming all over again, which I'm slighlty regretting at this point.

As for what I now display, I still keep things pretty specific. MP Prime is in the living room waiting for MP Megatron to join him. Palisades Devastator is now out there as well, but in a different area. In my office, I have separate sections for my Classics, War Within Titaniums, G1 "TF:TM" Titaniums, Alternators (only the original Autobot vehicle characters - no Grimlock, new/unknown characters or Decepticons) and select G1 originals like Jetfire vs Shockwave, Omega Supreme vs Predaking, Prime vs Soundwave (the new re-issue), and the Dinobots just kind on their own somewhere.

I have no idea what I'm going to do about the new movie toys. While I absolutely detest everything about the new designs and pretty much everything to do with the movie itself, I still appreciate a well designed toy. I was convinced I wouldn't be touching any movie merch with a ten foot pole, then I saw those new prototypes of Prime (x2) and Megatron... which has me thinking I actually might buy them if they look as good in color as they do in unpainted proto resin. But even if I do buy some of these for the sake of having a movie group section to my collection, I'll be keeping it VERY limited to only the best versions of the toys they plan to release. No inane shit like plushies, quick-changes, voice changing helmets, etc. Only the big & highly detailed figures.

But when is all said & done, if I had to re-box most of my collection again, I'd probably only leave out the Masterpieces of Prime & Meg's. As cool as the Classics, Titaniums, Alternators and some G1's are, I wouldn't necessarily regret not having them out on full "geek mode" display. And in another year or so, that probably will happen.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Me too.

The joy I get from collecting toys is the look of a full collection and the trill of the hunt. My favourite thing to do is just sit and look at all of my toys...and fiddle with the odd one.

9. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Ditto.

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I am in the exact same boat. I love collecting certain Transformers not all. I am a completionest in a small scense. I only complete sets that I feel need to be complete like the Classics, The MP Line, The Toynami MP sets (Voltron, Alphas, and Valks). I will collect more G1 figures in the future I currently have the Dinobots and Devy. I have all the Titanium 6" except for Optimus Primal I just dont like that figure at all so I wont be completing that set. I have alot of Galaxy Force figures but dont like them all so I again wont complete that set. To sum it up I only collect what I like and thats it.

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Sounds like you want change in your life. It might possibly run deeper than Transformers. Then again it might be that the Classics line is a filler line with a very small amount of figures being released and it is the calm before the storm of movie based toys.

12. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'm feeling now that i'm collecting only out of habbit, not want. it's seeiming empty, is what i'm trying to express i guess. Still collecting, unable to stop, having no satisfaction out of it.

13. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I also was going by how you wanted to change up your apartment. Maybe a TF break is needed? Maybe being more selective vs being a completist is the answer? Maybe a pruning of the collection is in order? I personally have felt something similar to you with the Marvel Legends figures. I got all of the Marvel figures from the 90's and eventually lost interest and stopped buying them—I wanted to focus more on Transformers and robots in general. Today I am more selective with the figures that I buy instead of buying everything with a TF logo on it. Although I know I don't have the answer you are looking for, hopefully some of these ideas might help you discover the path you are looking for.

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe, like others have said, you just need a break from it for a while. You could pack them all away for a while, and see how you feel in a few months. Maybe separation will make the heart grow fonder, or maybe you've actually lost interest. But I wouldn't go and sell your collection or anything, as it could be be a passing phase or just sheer exhaustion.

I've thought about that on occasion.... packing up my toy collection somewhere just to kinda clear my head for a while.

15. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

You think too much. These are toys, and in the real world collecting them IS meaningless. I collect because I want to, there's no reason or motive or even any damned pay off. I never sell mine, I open them, I let my children play with them. It's not an investment and it's not a noble cause, it's something I do because I don't smoke, or do drugs and I don't pay for sex so I have to spend the money somewhere.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Well the problem I see with collecting these days stems from what we expect due to the G1 days. When G1 was in full swing, we got what we got and didn't have expectations of other characters eventually making it into toy form. They set the standard of who was important & valid by being made into a toy in the first place. But ever since G1, it's been a total crap shoot of characters that we get, and often we as collectors are either left hanging or are screwed over in the end.

The Alternators are a perfect example of this. They release a good portion of the original G1 Autobot characters, get people collecting them under the impression we'll see all of the original characters upgraded & redone in Alt form, but then for whatever f*cking reason don't do Ironhide, Ratchet, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, Trailbreaker, Brawn, etc. in place of turning characters like Grimlock, Shockwave, Ravage x 2, Rumble, etc. into cars instead. Talk about a burn.

Then you got the Classics. Neat character selection overall, but again, a lot of odd choices where keeping any sort of theme is concerned. They give us Starscream & Skywarp but no Thundercracker? They give us Ramjet but no Thrust or Dirge? Grimlock with no sign of the other 4 Dinobots? Two TF:TM Autobot characters (Magnus & Rodimus) but no sign of even one movie Decepticon?

The Titaniums are also following suit that way. G1 Scourge, Rodimus Prime & Ultra Magnus but no word on any of the other movie characters. War Within Thundercracker & Starcream followed by Sunstorm instead of Skywarp?

Again it makes no sense and is very frustrating for collectors, not to mention being a complete financial gamble. Do we get these characters right away hoping they'll release their sub-team counterparts but ultimately don't happen? Or do we hold off only to find out way after the fact that they do complete the themes but that the originals are now hard to get or are crazily expensive.

That's one thing that has pissed me off about Hasbro for years. They start a lot of things that they don't finish, never factoring in why some of the collectors out there decided to start collecting (again) in the first place. I didn't start buying these Alternators only to find out a few hundred dollars after the fact that missing key characters aren't gonna happen. Same goes for the Classics & Titaniums. And when all is said & done, it's not that unbelievable that people are going to want/expect the rest if they're already given the bulk. I mean, they released 12 of the original G1 Autobots as Alternators, so naturally people will assume the remaining 5 or 6 will come as well. Nope. Sorry. But thanks for your money. So on and so forth with each of their lines.

So in that sense, I totally understand feeling unfulfilled, not to mention equally burned and mislead.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sounds like your getting burned out. I feel the same way sometimes. What was once a display is now a wall of boxes. With hardly no urge to dig through them.
    If it was'nt for galleries (or from just being retarded with toys and cameras) I would probably never touch them.

Just went through my G1's the other day and I was like "wow, I forgot had him!'
    Getting older and having a kid dulls my interrest in it. But the buggers still get me excited in ways and I cant kick those nostalgic feelings so I'll probably never ultimately escape the hobby. Feeling a little burned out tho

The Starscream poster is staying! Since the gf's pictures are too, um, flowery

18. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

oh, i know your kinda on the right track. but, i'm in no way near a completest ( if you read the first post) i only collect very select FEW pieces. and only 7 are here with me. the other 2000 or so are in storage, in another province. i've been selling bits of my collection piece by piece for the last 2 years. Selling 10 pieces to buy 1 special piece, etc etc. actually, i'm sure i must have sold close to 600 or so, so 2000 now wouldn't be an accurate count anymore.... just havn't counted in 4 years.

anyway, i feel like i'm going through a change, but i could never give up transformers, i just feel odd now, because having them makes me annoyed i guess. i get no satisfaction in having them on my shelf ( the ones i took away) remember, i still have refector, browning and ths 02 convoy out, wich DON"T annoy me while looking at them. and i have a prototype camera bot coming, and intend to get a few of the new object former line.

as for the rest of the appartment. i find myself taking down provoctive posed fetish themed photos i've taken, and other sexy shots, and replacing them with ballet, and landscape shots, Angel and celtic themed art work, and new black and white nude shots of my Girlfriend. It almost seems to me i'm going minimalistic.

19. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definitely feeling a bit burnt out on TFs recently. My completist mentality when it comes to Tis, Alts and Classics has meant a steady stream of toys most of which will never be opened. Hopefully, the movie will allow me to slow down a bit albeit for a while.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with your post...I havn't bought any new TF since I bought Classics Starscreams last year....