Anyone else find movie news depressing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Golden Age, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I always look forward to periodically checking tfw2005 for news updates. Some days are better than others in regards to news, but when it comes to movie news I get a feeling of nausea. I dont read the Movie news but its presence bothers me. Maybe it's because the future of non-movie TF's seems bleak. I understand why Tfw 2005 does it, and that some people really like the franchise. This is not about that. This is simply my personal feelings on the matter. Anyone else feel this way?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ... Not really, in fact, I do like to see the TF franchise that all my friends enjoy getting bigger and better.

3. permie

permie Well-Known Member

I don't really know what you're saying here. You're saying it seems like Hasbro is throwing all their attention behind the movie at the expense of the brand as a whole? (it's arguable that the movie BECOMES the brand as a whole)

That's money for ya, fanboy!

On the bright side, no one has a complete collection. I'm sure there's a figure you have an eye on, and I'll be selling a bunch of mine in the next few weeks. :) 

4. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I can't wait for the movie.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I think I get what your talking about. I do love the movie line, But universe and animated are both some of the greatest and most inventive tf lines in years.

So it is confirmed the movie is putting them on hiatus. Garnering movie as the focus for may-december. Which is upsetting.

But with transformers toys every line these days takes the previous sets greatest assets and applys them to the next one. Universe and Animated will resurface again. Whatever your into and it will be made stronger by the movie's mech alive presence.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

No, I don't find the movie news depressing. In fact, I'm overly excited to see ROTF in theaters this summer.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

The only thing bothering me is my impatience to see the new Devastator toy. I can't wait.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Everytime interesting movie news is posted my hearts skips a beat out of excitement...

No seriously.

No seriously.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I do see what you mean.

With the first movie, Hasbro was putting out things that fans who didn't like the movie aesthetic could buy instead. But not this time. :/ We might still have Robot Heroes that aren't movie figures, but that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the movie or the people who like it. I just don't and am a little sad like the OP that there won't be much for me in the coming year. Oh well.

--Moony

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I feel the pain.

It seems like every week it's more stuff I like is going away until nothing will be left but the movie stuff. I guess that's fine if the movie stuff is your thing, but if it's not it's like every thing to look forward to is getting taken away to a point where one day it's going to be movie related or nothing at all.

Universe on hold with no word on when or if it will really come back. The fate of Animated to make you worry that's going away. Heck I'm even paranoid now to say anything positive about Robot Heroes for fear that Hasbro might decide they should take that away as well.

I always got the feeling that things like Universe and Animated where attempting to find ways to make me happy as a fan while the movie people never really gave a damn if I was happy or not. So the people attempting to make me happy are going away to just leave me with the people who don't care. Makes it really hard to hold on to the hope that maybe one day the light of geek joy will shine upon me again.

11. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

To me , this is not necessarly a bad thing, my wallet will thank me for it!

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I understand where you're coming from, but if you think about it... if the first movie wasn't a success like it was, would the general consumer interest be big enough to warrant things like Universe 2.0 and Animated? Big successful mainstream interest helps the designers at Hasbro give us fanboys the real geeky stuff that makes us shriek with glee.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say the future is bleak for TF in any way. The Transformers franchise constantly reinvents itself. If a line or theme comes out that we don't like, then we can console ourselves with the fact that, in a year or two, something completely different will likely be around.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't mind the break for the old wallet. Between the bills and work being slow it's been rather nice not having too much on the shelves to tempt me right now.

I would just be nice to have something to look forward to even if they couldn't give us exact dates on it. Or even some vague and general statement of don't worry we will still have stuff for people who want something that isn't movie related.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Not really depressed, no. Mostly I just ignore the movie news. It's not that I don't want to see the movie or that I'm not looking forward to it, it's just that I don't really care what Shia did this week or what car was seen where. I want more Animated news than anything - season 3 air date, new toy protos, some kind of official statement about post-s3, etc. So if I don't see anything that interests me I just skip past the front page and hit the boards.

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

It does bum me out a bit. I like the movie, but the idea that the next 2 years will probably be mostly movie toys: that is a bit scary. I don't know how excited I can get about toys that come out based off of a 2 hour movie. I think tv shows are much better at showing us new and different characters. That's probably my main gripe...I think I could tolerate the movie-style if it had a tv show to further ingrain it into my brain.

I'll miss animated :( 
    Best toys since g1/alternators

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the only thing that bugs me about the movie news is that nothing is allowed to be a surprise anymore. you can't avoid the spoilers no matter what you do.

18. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depressing? No way, IMO it's great to see TFs becoming so popular again after the bleak days of the early 1990s.

19. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I hear ya there. I want to know what fans are thinking, but then someone lets something slip and its ruined for me. I just have to stop reading the boards.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I feel the same way. I don't mind seeing designs ahead of time but I'm doing my best to avoid any type of plot or character spoilers but that's really hard to do around here. Not surprising with all the excitement though...and it's been better contained for the sequel than it was for the first movie.

As far as not looking forward to the future, I'm going to be buying a few of the new characters from the movie so I'll still be involved. Don't care in any way shape or form about Animated, though I am pretty disappointed Classicverse will be on hiatus again.