Anyone else feel the ending was a disappointment?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by OP84, Aug 23, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

The ending disappointed me. We've been hearing for the past two years that WFC/FOC and the Prime cartoon share the same universe, but aside from some similarities in the history, they hardly have anything in common with each other and this game never even tried to establish a stronger connection to the series. I'm hoping they at least do an episode of the series where they mention the Ark and the Nemesis and how they were sucked into the space brige. Anyone feel the same?

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The ending was a cliffhanger of the worst kind. No epilogue narration, no concluding this chapter in the saga. It didn't feel rushed...but it did feel like a ham handed attempt to leave it open that it COULD be the prelude to the TF Prime universe. A weak way to end an otherwise great Transformers game if you asked me.

3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    No. It ended exactly where the director told us it would end: Just before the G1 cartoon began.
    Matt Tieger has been saying from before WFC was released that these games are prequel to the Sunbow cartoon, not Prime. What Hasbro says isn't what the director wants. Hasbro is really just saying its Prime to try and sell toys. The game is clearly G1, not Prime.

4. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I kind of don't want it explicitly made to be a prequel to Prime. I like Prime and all but it feels like corporate bull shit on Hasbros part to try and connect a great stand alone series that has heavy G1 call backs with the new, current show.

5. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    "Aligned Continuity" =/= "Direct Continuity"

Once again,

They shares the same basic premises of the Aligned Continuity. Example" Megatron a Gladiator, Dark Energon, Auotbots = Good Guys, Decepticons = Bad Guys, etc etc.

The stories branch of in different directions from the root (Aligned). In one of last interviews Matt Tieger had with Giant Bomb, he states this. The game is based around G1, all the while granting some leeway in story progression and certain character designs to allow Transformers Prime to grow from it as a back drop.

6. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    He also said specifically "It ends where the G1 cartoon begins"
    Its pretty clear that's the game's intention, what with the last mission just being a retelling of the Decepticons attack on the Ark and the two ships going out of control.

7. Angelwave

News Credits:
    Exactly. Now while it technically is "the G1 story re-invented", that is really what they revolved it around and also the original Marvel comics as well.

8. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    But it doesn't really work well with the Marvel comics half as well. For example, Shockwave is dedicated to Megatron, one of the loyalists, like in the cartoon, rather then the usurper he became in the comics.

9. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

:confused:  WFC/FOC has it's own continuity and backstory that is clearly different from the original G1 cartoon. How is that even possible?

10. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I hope they make another game or at least a prologue comic.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    There's more to G1 then a cartoon.

12. Angelwave

News Credits:
    That's why I say it's "re-invented", they have Shockwave showing loyalty to Megatron, but there are sublte hints that even he is driven by his own personal goals.
    such as the time he talks about his new gun in an Audio log.

They take the best elements of G1 of the 80's and all the way up to the modern era with just a few certain aspects from IDWs G1 universe. And blend them together in their own universe.

13. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    G1 cartoon never had much consistency. Just look at the Constructicons and their origins, for example. WFC/FOC takes in most of the details from G1 cartoon, as well as some of the most memorable characters in order to create a a good video game that also acts as a reasonable prequel. It puts into more detail then the cartoon ever went to, because it is more for the adult fanbase then the cartoon, but it is recognizable as being for G1.
    There are some inconsistencies, but most are very minor compared with the HUGE inconsistencies with Prime and most of the inconsistencies stem from gameplay reasons; the Aerialbots and Dinobots were very memorable characters, so they were included in the game.

14. mrcaino9

mrcaino9 Leakin' Lubricants!!!

Because WFC/FOC is a re-telling, modernized update to the G1 series. Look at it as a remake to Generation 1's Animated Series. Somethings are different, some are the same... in an era of remakes is this really that hard to swallow?

15. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

He was talking about the G1 cartoon, so I talked about the G1 cartoon.

16. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Which I explained.
    How can the G1 prequel be a pill too hard to swallow when you're trying to line it up with what a toy company said, despite the fact that there are barely any similarities between FOC and Prime?
    Like: Optimus Prime having a completely different origin, Dark Energon being an artificial substance, Soundwave talking and having the cassietebots, Breakdown being his small paranoid self...
    G1, however, only has minor inconsistencies, not nearly as large as the inconsistencies the show has with itself.

17. mrcaino9

mrcaino9 Leakin' Lubricants!!!

The ending itself (cutscenes & last chapter) was pretty cool to me... i really didn't like Prime & Megs fighting with swords but hey... and as far as it showing some connection to the Prime series... it didn't have to cause it's primarily based on a re-telling / remake of G1.

The Battle Is Won By Swords Being Swung... (Wu-Tang Clan)
    but where's the axe & mace?

18. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I was certainly disappointed by the lack of any kind of resolution to the story. We end the game pretty much right where we started the game, and then it ends on the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen (which for video games is kind of terrible. Cuz now we'll be sitting here waiting for another 2-3 years just to see it resolved

Certainly a fun ride tho, I'll give em that.

19. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    That's what I'm trying to say. It was resolved, back in 1984.

If they make a new video game, which is probably likely due to this one's success, it'd probably be based on Rodimus and crew or go back to during the war. I think a game on Earth would be too different to the previous games, considering they're about Cybertron.

Megatron at least uses the sword that his G1 toy came with. Not sure what Optimus' is a reference too, though.

20. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I feel like they left it so open-ended that, in case there isn't a third game, you can simply assume they made it to Earth and the conflict continues as normal.