Customs: Anyone else ever feel bad?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sioce, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am about to butcher my 3rd cybertron primus...with about 8 more in the works. all to be torn apart...same with unicron.
    I have a bunch of combiners in the works.
    Does anyone else ever feel bad for tearing apart TFs for customs?
    Primus is actually a very nice TF on his own.
    When all is said and done I will have all 5 of the G1 combiners as customs.
    I should keep a primus and a unicron just for the fun of it...course I might get a wild hair up my butt and cut them up too.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yes, that's exactly why I don't do heavy customs - I don't have the heart to rip them apart.

I have a gutted G1 Soundwave that I'm adding an MP3 player to, and that's bad enough.

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HAHA!! This from the guy that showed pictures of opening up windbreaker and trashing the box!!!!

I heard the nerd hearts break every where!!

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I still need to find a decently priced Primus... :( 

5. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    this is why i want two of the mold im going to dest-err, customize:D 

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Overall, no. I feel as though I can create something similar or better, so I just go with it. I did have one time where I thought long and hard before finally cutting into a figure......I hacked up my original G1 Galvatron that my parents bought me for Christmas as a kid. I lost my father to a heart attack back in 2003 and ever since, it's been kinda hard to let anything go that had sentimental attachment--so since he and my mother got it for me, it was hard to hack into it. I finally decided that since I planned to still use a lot of the old G1 parts, it would basically be like a rebirth and the parts would still be visible in the new custom. So once I decided to hack into it, it's been easier to hack into others. My old G1 Galvatron is still with me in parts and in my Galvatron custom (completed it last year, but I'm in the process of re-visiting it to add more articulation and make it better).

That was the only time I really felt bad cutting into anything.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I never cut into anything i have only one of, unless i really hated the thing in the first place (I'm looking at you, Universe Ironhide!). So, no, i don't really feel bad.

The only time that i really felt bad was when i was making my Scourge entry, as i was originally going to use that Master Gundam for another bash, and making the Scourge mods meant giving up that idea for good, as i'd picked the last non MG (and hence non-expensve) Master Gundam.

Well, that and i would never cut into Energon Treadshot (and all the rest of the gestalt), nor the RID Build Team, nor Rail Racer.

8. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    along with the primus' I have cut up 3 build teams with a 4th standing tall as landfill...about to be attacked as well.
    I have 3 heavy loads that won't be used for anything probably...cept maybe thier heads.
    The only thing that makes me feel better is when the custom is done...and I sit back and say, Damn that is nice.

9. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I picked one up on ebay today for 40 shipped.. keep an eye out.

I cut up my only unicron to start my devi last year. it was my only one at the time and I felt like.. damn, why did I do that. Then I bought another one at toysrus 1/2 off and I felt alot better!

I have the primus on the way so I will already have the waist and arms from unicron to do another larger combiner!

10. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Wanna know the sad thing? I'm using my original Car Robots Build King (had 'em since they were released in Japan) to make my Devastator custom--they will be cut, they will be glued, and they will make one cool Devastator when done. lol

I thought about that for a while also--still had them mint in the individual packages and said, why not? So I started on them long ago, just haven't snapped any shots or done much else to them.

11. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never owned unicron or primus until I decided to build devy...now I have owned and mangled 2 unicrons and 3 primus'
    I really do like the primus figure. I'm going to buy one to have.
    The last one I bought is missing it's pinkys...small thing, but VERY irritating.

12. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I cut, drilled, sanded, buffed,dremeled, glued, primed, painted, decaled, and sealed a $100+ Shadow Commander armor into Powermaster.

I might not have any qualms about ripping into a figure, but if you don't want to feel bad about it hunt down a junker or broken figure you need to use or just the parts you want from a already broken figure.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Sad? No.

Anything I buy for bashing is a duplicate or something that's solely there to be bashed. I didn't, and don't, care for RiD or the Unicron Trilogy much. Some of them are fine toys, but what I truly care about are the characters. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm taking fine toys and making them better by giving them a good name and character to represent.

Also, my waist & thigh-less Unicron and armless Primus will soon get repainted and whatnot to be displayed as planets. Very little will go to waste.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think hpunk chimed in on something a bit for me regarding G1. I am a TF fan, enthusiast, and collector first and foremost. My kitbashing and other artwork is an outgrowth of this. Being an artist outside of my hobby of Transformers is oddly a bit different. With Transformers, I have the "collector's" bug. I mainly don't hack up G1 bots simply because if it's that rare to begin with, I'd want it in my TF collection to begin with. I typically don't need to hack up these types of parts for my work anyways. On another portion of this topic, I don't have the budget to do so either. I just think there's other ways around having to use a rare, vintage G1 part.

As far as the thread topic itself goes generally speaking, I don't feel bad at all making my customs, no matter the level of modification. The Alts/BTs I've bought or acquired for customs have been done so specifically for that purpose. If anything, I feel bad for not doing the work. I've found myself struggling more when I know other things are going on that prevent me from kitbashing.

15. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Wild hairs aside, I do indeed feel bad (moreso when it seems to take forever to start construction. To that end, I have multiple copies of G1 Bumblebee and Ironhide.
    Bumblebee:
    * rubsign Bumblebee (1986 re-tooling) - represents my 1st Bumblebee, which I traded to someone (and the guy lost it on a vacation!)
    * Encore #10 Bumblebee - would rather have had TF Collection #12 Bumblebee (as its silver painted face and otherwise normal detailing wouldn't look so "kitbashy" next to the other minicars), but find the painted details (and blue eyes) growing on me. Currently, he wears an original BB head.
    * pre-rub red Bumblebee (1984-85 tooling) - just decided to bid on this one at the same time as the rubsign one, and won both! In significantly better shape (mechanically) than the rubsign one, but didn't have the heart to play "parts swap", until...
    * pre-rub Bumblebee (1984-85 tooling) - I bought/won this one specifically for the purpose of swapping in a re-issue's head. (Fortunately, I have a reissue...) Since it's insignia was placed off-center (more like Nightbeat's than BB's), I have a good excuse to move/remove it and add the reprolabels "MicroChange" circuit pattern above a moved/replaced symbol. Since swapping in some of the much tighter red BB parts, this is my principal BB.
    * rubsign Bumblebee - or at least he was. Bought because he was a 1986 tooling, but secretly happy his rubsign was missing. He wears a yellow Cliffjumper head (with chin and end of head crest painted gloss (& metallic) black) and with a reprolabels D'Con rubsign is now Bug Bite. I was able to tighten him up by adding parts from a broken G2 Bumblebee, but still need to solve the mystery of the floppy arms. For a distance, he looks like Rubsign Bumblebee in car mode. Given my portrayal of the Renegade as an insurgent fighter/infiltrator, I find myself tempted to paint him all of the features currently present on Encore #10 BB. (making him resemble his GoBot body.)
    * G2 Bumblebee #1 - During the G2 period, was victim to plastic softening via a Black Flag bug spray (in another room!). As a result, both the finish of our piano (in the sprayed room) and Bumblebee (in my room) became highly susceptible to damage by fingerprints. (Seriously, he looked like a burn victim.) Was replaced by a 2nd G2 Bumblebee which, though still intact, had the layers of his vacuum metalization wear away (too easy in my opinion). Is now parts fodder for "Bug Bite" after his screw hole was apparently stripped.
    * G2 Bumblebee #2 - still in decent (albeit played with) shape, in spite of his spotty chrome wear. Currently wears MicroChange circuit and 1 sq. cm. Autobot symbol hand drawn/colored on Avery paper labels. (Since they were colored with brush style markers, all label colors are extremely vulnerable to water.)
    Later, I plan to get a (1986) rubsign red Bumblebee - representative of the 2nd Bumblebee I ever owned. (Don't get me started on the Cliffjumper/Hubcap list. It took me forever to get a complete red one!)

My Ironhide list is as follows:
    * Ironhide (pre-rub) #1 - THE first TF I ever owned. Unfortunately, he looks like Megatron threw an anti-matter energon cube at him. Most of his parts are worn down due to early attempts to 'raise up his head', or tighten loose parts (which occassionally worked). Some are covered in red nail polish (either for identication purposes -- my initials -- or "customizing").
    * Ironhide (pre-rub) #2 - Bought at a collectibles store (with the intention of supplying fresh parts to Ironhide #1), he was the same tooling as my 1st Ironhide. Because of his tight parts, decent chrome and decals (some badly placed), I came to favor him over my original.
    * Encore Ironhide - I bought him hoping a.) like TF Collection reissues, he had crisp factory decals and a concise label sheet. b.) the tooling was enough like my first (2) to parts swap. While very close (The arms and dash are roughly the same, with the black piece sticking out of his shoulders), I learned that both re-issues of Ironhide and Ratchet were made to be longer then the originals. As a result, his cabin is not compatible with earlier releases. On the upside, his launcher, springs, gun, and missiles are compatible, as is the expensive-to-replace red thingy.
    * Ironhide (pre-rub) #4 - bought cheaply to be a parts-bot for Ironhide #1, but still in much better shape than the bot he replaces. As a result, he becomes the new #1. (but doesn't replace the superior #2.)
    In short, I have not junked #1 Ironhide because of his significance. And at some point, I still want to replace Encore Ironhide with a eHobby one as I hate[/i] the painted details. Plus the Tomy label sheets have lots of ugly inconsistencies. Anyone owning an original (or Takara re-issue) and an Encore will easily spot the differences. I have 1 fewer Ratchets (the cleanest one has no cabin!) but his story is similar. (Also, please sell me a eHobby Ratchet if you can. I also like the movie-esque reissue.)

I have other TF multiples with similar stories (such as the multiple used Jetfires I've cannibalized in order to supply the 1st one I ever got with tight, unyellowed parts). Right now, I have 2 Big Daddies and Downshifts loose so that 1 of each will supply a body to my General Lee inspired custom. All I waiting on is someone to help me do Redline's head fix, and a head swap (with the ball-jointed movie Longarm). I also just got a half dozen extra Seeker bodies in order to create 2 new custom Decepticons.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Lets put it this way: before tearing apart my Universe Hound, I made sure I had another.

I won't tear apart anything I'm not willing to do without.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Unless I'm not interested in the said toy, I'm the same way.

18. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

^ This.

If i really hate the thing, i really wouldn't care less. I'd just trash the thing for parts. Use it o create something i like.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Exactly. Also, even if I'm working on something and it doesn't turn out just the way I want it, off to the parts bin it goes. NOT the trash. If I've learned anything, it's don't trash it until it's completely unusable.