Anyone else disappointed with plastic, QC and paint apps?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    For the past couple of years, I've went from die-hard completist to a collector of specific lines.

Right now, I collect G1 reissues, Classics and select Animated figures. As of late, I couldn't help notice how cheap North American TF releases have been, particularly the Deluxe-sized Universe figures. Sunstreaker, Prowl and Galvatron all look superb when the first pictures came out. However, they all feel like they have substandard plastic with bad paint apps.

Yesterday, I saw the 2-pack Universe Roadbuster/Dirge and Springer/Ratbat at my local Zellers and was surprised at the minimum amout of paint apps. Not only did they look like unfinished test shots, but the plastic also looks substand!

The original molds were part of the finest Galaxy Force/Cybertron had to offer.

If this is a sign as to where Hasbro is heading, I will have no choice but to exclusively buy Takara-Tomy products at a premium price :( 

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no problem with the plastic or the number of paint apps.

Only with QC, it's very unpleasant when you open your new toy and the paint is all messed up and out of place.

3. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

And then get a Henkei Thundercracker who can't hold his blasters, or a Chromia with two-face syndrome, etc. :confused: 

You guys can at least look at the tfs you buy at stores. All of mine have to be shipped in, so I'm just going by descriptions or lousy pics. :banghead: 

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I think most of us are, the plastic feels very cheap in the later figures, the paint apps are minmum and QC sucks, many figures with loose joints, or even missing parts.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't really experienced any of the plastic problems a lot of people talk about and while the paint seems minimal I agree my biggest problem is the QC when it comes to the application of the paint apps. Seems like the people applying the paint can't be bothered to not just slather it all over the place and let it bleed into other areas of the toy.

6. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

i think is speek for everyone when say
    ''why cant we have better QC and paint apps on figures?''

answer is simple, MONEY.

7. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have a problem with Prowl or Sunstreaker, but Tankoctane and Galvatron's plastic feels too...light, almost KOish.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This I noticed something similar with Sunstreaker, but not until I was comparing him to Sideswipe. I just got Universe Sideswipe and was fiddling with him and than I put him down and picked up Sunstreaker... noticed he seemed lighter and I started comparing the plastic and... yeah... my Sunstreaker feels like he's made of a cheaper plastic than my Sideswipe, but so far he's the only figure in the new line that really feels that way to me thus far.

9. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I've definatley noticed many of the new lines have QC issues with paint. This is true with many of the Deluxe movie line repaints and also Animated, I'm not buying many of those anyway but the classics line I really like and It sucks I have to look thru 7 or 8 figures to find a "good one". The Classics Prowl is especially bad. As far as plastic I don't have any complaints, for the money these are still great toys. I'm just real picky about paint quality.

10. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get lucky more often than not, but my last purchase kinda pissed me off, bought an Animated Jazz with two right hands. As he was ( and still is) the only one in the store, kinda stuck with him.
    QC is just not as good as it once was IMO.

11. ricky503

ricky503 Well-Known Member

Nah, they feel more like the smaller gundam kits.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hope the QC will get better with the planned higher pricess.

I'd pay 4 more bucks anyday to get a good paint.

13. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel like production on some of these are rushed and extremely shoddy.

14. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    yeah, take a classics Rodimus and hold it next to a classics Prowl, the plastic is alot different, it feels lke it you drop Prowl, something would snap off, but Rodimus is alot stronger, more bendable type plastic.

15. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

For me, Animated has been frustrating with the QC issues. The latest is the Blitzwing I got. Why I didn't pay attention to the poor paint job when I checked it out is beyond me. I think I've returned more than I've bought so far in that line.

With Classics, I have yet to buy them all but have had no problems with the ones I do own.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Thing is people aren't appling the paint. A machine is, using a spray nozzle. And if the toy/piece isn't in the right place then the paint will be in the wrong spot. It happens. As does the nozzle getting clogged and dolloping a glob of paint instead of a mist.

Now on the plastic front I think Hasbro changed there recipie between Cybertron/Classics and the movie. I have noted that the part on the movie toys are thinner in some cases. But that has more to do with the asthetic.

17. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    plastic id feeling cheaper-hold Acid Storm and Skywarp. yikes!

18. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Prowl's plastic really that bad? Because Rodimus's plastic already feels cheap enough for me.

19. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    don't get me started on how poor prowl is....awesome design but cheap platic and very shoddy paint

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have noticed some issues with paint applications here and there, but the overwhelming majority of the issues I see on the figures I buy are very minor things that one would have to be looking extremely closely at the figure to even notice...and I just don't inspect my figures that closely. And it's not like I search through figures looking for "the good one", I just take whichever copy I see on the shelf first. So, either I'm getting very lucky with my purchases (apparently, I got the only good TFU Prowl in the entire universe) or the major problems with paint applications aren't that widespread. The only paint application 'problem' I've had that I would classify as a problem (and not just typical variation between toys) is a TFA Prowl where the grey face paint was missing. Of course, the other side of the paint application issue is toys not having enough paint applications in their deco. That typically doesn't bother me, but there are a few examples that extra details would be nice.

Quality control...to some extent, I think this gets blown out of proportion by the nature of these message boards; a few people, out of the thousands that buy these figures, get a toy with an issue, post a rant about it and suddenly it's "widespread quality control problems". Even taking that into account, though, there were a lot more reports of QC issues with the first few waves of Animated than for the start of any other line in recent memory; I definitely don't remember it happening this much for Cybertron, Classics 1.0 or the Movie line.

I always have a problem with the plastic quality argument, given how subjective "feels cheap" and "feels lighter" are. TBH, until someone has some objective evidence that the plastic is a cheaper kind, I usually just dismiss this as people seeing what they want to or, in the case of Classics/Universe, justifying paying extra for the Henkei stuff.