Anyone Else Considering an HD-DVD Player Just for Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cory Bauer, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Anyone?

Even though I know HD-DVD is the losing format in the ongoing war by 2-1 presently, I'm considering getting the HD-DVD add-on for my xBox 360 mainly for Transformers. Of course, it also comes with King Kong, and you get 5 free movies from a mediocre selection. I guess my plan would be to purchase a combo-player sometime next spring — along with a 1080p LCD HDTV — so that I could continue playing my HD-DVD titles while moving over to the format that will presumably win the war (Blu-Ray). The Samsung BD-UP5000 combo player becomes available in November (tentatively), but it's $1050 and my HDTV set doesn't have HDMI or 1080p support anyhow.

What's everyone's plans? Are those of you without HD-DVD players just sticking with the standard definition version for the time being?

2. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I've never regretted buying the HD DVD add-on for the 360. More so now, that you basically get 6 HD movies with it. It's pretty much like getting it for free. Who knows? Maybe Prime'll turn the tide of the (format) war?

3. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

I don't use consoles to play DVDs, "players" do that just fine. :p 
    I'll be getting an HD-DVD player here eventually, not only because of TF.

4. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Cory I don't want seem like a nit picker here but HD-DVD is not the losing format and neither is Blu Ray at the moment. the 2:1 sales ratio is not representative of anything but a small time period since the sales spike of the Blur ray titles caused by the ps3. I was around for the inception of DVD and its fight against the rival DIVX format and similar numbers where around then against DVD.

I mention this because saying something is a losing format when it isn't scares people from making choice in what they maybe want or not want. In the same light HD-DVD out sells Blu Ray ( ps3 excluded obviously ) in total standalone units so numbers can be deceiving. Even if Blu Ray in total sells twice as many disc as HD-DVD it still costs twice as much to make a Blu Ray disc than HD-DVD. That is important cause Studios look at net profit not the total numbers sold.

So you never know if more Studios are gonna drop one format over the other cause the numbers don't matter in the face of long term profit and right now neither format is really winning that war.

So basically its all about just buy whats right for you and let the market come to you not you go to it. I still believe what will happen in the end is all players will support both in the future just like when DVD burning couldn't nail down a standard and you had DVD-R and DVD+R and all drives do both now.

5. vektsilver

Oh by the way xbox 360 add on works great with media center pc's or just regular pc 's that have hd dvd software. The remote also is programmable for tv's and also is a media center remote as well as 360 remote.

cheers

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Nope. I will upconvert the standard DVD and have the same audio quality as the HD DVD release. How lame for Paramount to claim they were going with the format they felt to be the best for consumers and reward them with an HD DVD release that is only half as good as it could have been.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did.

I bought the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive add on right after the announcement that Transformers would be exclusive to HD-DVD.

8. Cory Bauer

vektsilver, I don't want this to degrade into an HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray thread — and I agree with you that the format war could still go either way — but if I were a bettin' man I'd place my dollars on the format with the most discs and the most players sold. And that format would be Blu-Ray at this time. So for me, purchasing an HD-DVD player and media is buying in to the most likely loser; hence my hesitation.

9. vektsilver

Fair enough and is also very valid point. I think overall the point of my statements just means.

1.) total sales = winner
    or
    2.) total profit = winner

So that is where we are split cause i just see it as HD-DVD winning out cause not everyone wants to pay more for exactly the same kinda format. Blu Ray costs more for every body because thats how Sony has it and I dont think that ll change even if they win. So studios make more per disc than with Blu Ray

Have to say though I dont think anyone can regret getting the HD-DVD add on as if it does not work out in the end like a Sony Beta Max thing it still works as an external DVD drive :) 

10. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Nope. Until 'they' settle on one, I'll not be upgrading, period.

11. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

im just going to get one of them then mod it to work for both somehow

12. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

no.

13. Cory Bauer

My other issue right now is...I don't want to rebuy any movies in high-definition when a format is finally decided, so I haven't been buying any more Standard Definition movies at all. I've just been kind of holding off on purchases until this whole format war blows over, but the timetable for that seems increasingly stretched. But obviously, spending $20 on a Standard Def copy of Transformers now, and repurchasing an HD copy in a few years is cheaper than spending $180 on a player that may be defunct in 2 years...

14. SilverBlade

SilverBlade Well-Known Member

My answer is 'No'

I will not be buying any high-definition player, whether it is HD or Blu-Ray, until one of these things happen.

1) One format ends up being the winner and *all* (not just some, but ALL) studios move to that format.

2) Affordable dual-format players at the $200 mark.

15. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heck+No=Snowball's chance in hell

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My DVD player was recently lost in a divorce and I've been doing the laptop thing for coupla weeks now. I'll need to pick up a new player when I get a new TV, and I imagine I'll go with a new format player if I can find a reasonably priced one--especially since Netflix carries both new formats now.

Thanks to Transformers, it'll probably be HD-DVD.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Nope, never. Will stick to normal DVD

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto. Transformers was the movie that got me to purchase the 360 add-on. I know have a nice little collection of HD-DVDs. I love having both HD formats now...that way I don't have to bitch and moan about one or the other not getting a movie I want.

19. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    not gonna buy it... if comes out on dvd i will

20. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    yup, and my reasoning being, that most likely this "war" will last another five years and by that time i will want to upgrade again. I can get a cheap Hd-dvd player for under 230 bucks.
    By that time also there should be enough multi-players out there to render this "war" meaningless