Anyone Else Collect like this?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RageD, Jul 5, 2009.

1. RageD

RageD Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My goal is to get the best figure from each character that appeared in the Television show and Original Animated Movie.

No Repaints, No doubles, Just 1 of every figure, in the best possible sculpt, mold.

Anyone else collect like this? Just curious.

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I do the no repaints thing if I already have the figure. unless of course the mold is awesome or the repaint looks completely diferent

3. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    yup no repaints.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I rarely get repaints. last same character repaint I got was universe starscream, and before that it was armada powerlinx hot shot. I havent bought any of the previous line repaints shoved into universe, aside from Leo Prime, because it's a prime. and it had a new head. didnt buy any repaints in animated, but I bought every single original use of each mold.

I mostly stick to original molds. bought every new mold in classics/universe. bought all the deluxe repaints as well, which was extremely rare.

with the movie lines, I'm sticking exclusively to movie characters. no repaints.

5. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I have some repaints, the G1 seekers, datsun brothers.. but in general I only have 1 item per mold.

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I mainly only get repaints if I've missed the mold first time round or it looks better ala Jungle Bonecrusher and Savage

Though with Universe, I really like the molds so I'm getting all the repaints

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Every now and then I'll get a repaint if it looks good. My most recent: ROTF Smokescreen.

8. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Purchased a Grey Shockwave today to pose as Longarm. Also, I probably will avoid getting the Starscream Mold entirely and wait for the Skywarp repaints. They're typically gorgeous.

9. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I try to limit myself to one version of each character per line, so its not quite as drastic as what you are doing. For example, I won't be getting 20 different versions of movie Bumblebee. Honestly, I really only do it for space and monetary reasons. On top of that, I think having one character per line really makes a collection actually look cleaner and more impressive. Not knocking people who like it all, its just personal opinion. Obviously this isn't written in stone, and if two amazing molds come out for one character, I'll bite.

As for repaints, I'll usually pass unless it is a new character that makes sense. I won't go for "All Spark Powered *insert character here*," or if the mold is painted into a character that just doesn't fit. However, like most people, I'll nab seeker repaints and Cliffjumper.

10. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried doing this, but the problems I ran into were that characters like Skywarp and Thundercracker were essentially repaints, as are Prowl, Silverstreak, and Smokescreen, and Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. And it isn't just a G1 issue. Classics/Universe figures have this as well.

Then there are the movie repaints. When that G1 colors Starscream came out, I had to have it. Then came Thundercracker, and now I want Skywarp. It's a vicious cycle for me, lol.

However, there are some that are easier to deal with. I love my Classics Hot Rod, and feel he is the best version of his character yet. I do have G1 Hot Rod, but that was long before anyone ever imagined TF's would go on this long (I'm glad TF's is still going strong). Classics Mirage is my favorite and only Mirage. Universe Octane (Tankor) is also my only version of Octane. There are a few others too, so I suppose I did succeed for some characters.

I did a pretty good job with the Animated figures though. With the exception of Sunstorm and down the road Skywarp, I have no repaints. But then, there weren't that many to bigin with from the Animated line.

11. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to do that but I sometimes find it hard to pick just one figure for some characters. Optimus for example I would have a difficult time not getting ROTF Leader Prime, THS Prime(this little guy is every bit the engineering marvel that MP Prime is), MP Prime, G1 Prime, Alternity Prime. What i am starting to do with my collection is display MIB/MISB G1 on the the shelf then beside each box have another version of that character from another line, similar to what you are doing by picking your favorite version. But for characters I like the most having multiples. Optimus, Jetfire, Bumblebee, Prowl, Hound and Ironhide currently have multiples. Trailbreaker is one of my favorite characters too but they do not make many versions of him. I like your thinking though and think a collection like that can look awesome on display.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i buy whatever the heck i can get ahold of....repaints included

13. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I have a "no repaints" policy that I'll only break on two occasions. The first is if it's a G1 character....Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw, Bluestreak/Smokescreem. The second is if the figure is remolded in someway, i.e. a new head or new molded detailing.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

I have a handful of doubles in my collection, and some repaints. I don't put any limits on myself in collecting. I buy what I like.

15. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    to me G1 doesnt count cause if you think about it alot of the G1 toys were repaints

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I would pick and choose my repaints. And then it depends on if the mold is fantastic. Also if it has a remold too.

Filters.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i personally like repaints gives a chance to give a mold new life, especially if it is a new character, like starscream and the seekers...

but if it IS the same character aka starscream *unless it can pass for another character like cybertron starscream, the two pack one, looks a lot like thrust...

then sure i will go for it. but if not, then, no, big pass, i do not need bumblebee with a new hat... :lol 

18. newguy

newguy i

I just get all the cool ones

19. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

I used to be a completionist for everything, so no, i have a lot of repaints. pretty foolish looking back now.

Now, i'm still a kind of a completionist just for select lines.
    I pretty much stick only to Classics 1/2 and Henkei.

the complete henkei line minus clear exlcusives...
    and complete classics but only molds from classics 1 and new molds from classics 2. also no clear figures.

i'm still up in the air about legends from both sides of the pond.

if i ever gravitated outside of the classics realm though, i would probably collect like that. the best representation of characters from the fiction (ie leader bulkhead voyager OP) plus any other really well done figs. it'll suck if future lines have the whole armada/energon power up repaint shit.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I got both universe silverbolt and darkwind, and I'm getting the black and red jet when he comes out.