Anyone else annoyed with the DOTM figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DecepticonsRule, Jun 16, 2011.

1. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    I was never a fan of the idea of "MechTech". It takes away from the figure's overall mass, and it just adds a useless gun to the figure (which most collectors won't use anyway). The MechTech idea is more for kids than it is for collectors (which I'm fine with).

However, I feel like the figures have suffered because of this inclusion. Overall, their mass is smaller, honestly some of them look more like scout figures than deluxes figures. It looks weird when you're posing them next to figures from other movie lines. Not only that, they just look and feel smaller than previous lines.
    Second, I feel like some of the figures were done half-assed. Boring, uninterested paint jobs. Honestly, with figures like the Wreckers, I was expected way more than what we got.

ROTF's line was amazing compared to this, and I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there who is unhappy with what we've gotten for a movie line.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think the Mechtech gimmick is somewhat lame.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    If you don't like them, don't buy them.

4. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Over time TFs have shrinked or lost details from price increasing to make. After the current movie stuff is done and we get to Prime they're returning back near the normal size for the past few years.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    If you don't like the weapons, I will buy all of them off your hands.

6. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I love Mechtech, and I love the DOTM line, but if you don't like it, why buy them?

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Human alliance basics makes any and all theories that the whole dotm line stinks totally invalid.

8. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

And the DOTM Voyager.

9. Satomiblood

I've bought a few of them...like Skyhammer, Thunderhead (which I gutted for custom parts), and Sandstorm (which I thought would make a neat Beachcomber). I'm just not big on the Mechtech gimmick. I'm allowed to like one aspect of a toy, but not the other, correct?

10. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I HATED the concept of the MechTech up until I got my first toy, Roadbuster. Now I can't stop playing with the things.

11. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I've always hated big, gaudy weapons. Barricade's is still in package and I didn't notice I had accidentally thrown Jolt's out for 3 days.

12. Mousesi2k

Mousesi2k Decepticreep

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only thing im annoyed with DOTM Figures, is that they litterally took over the Transformers Section at my local retailers making it just about impossible to find some of the RTS / Generations figures.

13. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    This makes a lot of sense. Why buy it if you know you don't enjoy it?

At first I wasn't too fond of the idea, but over time the concept grew on me, and now I love to play with then! Deluxe Ratchet's is the best one that I have so far. :D 

14. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    I like MechTech. Some of the weapons aren't that great, for example, Ironhide's or Skyhammer's weapons. Otherwise, I like them A LOT.

15. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I didn't like the Mech-Tech, but I'm not bothered by the size of anything.

In fact, I'm kind of glad a few of these characters shrunk down. I use Battle-Blade Optimus in my collection, and TF1 Ironhide was too large next to OP in both vehicle and robot mode. DOTM is still a little big vehicle, but not as much as before, and his robot mode certainly is smaller.

I think we also got a lot more posability with these toys that we missed out on during the last two films, so we should be greatful for that. Now we can have a fair percentage of our collection in an action pose, rather than just standing there.

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I don't care much for the weapon but I like deluxe Thundercracker a lot. Bumblebee and Ratchet seem to come with improvements too but I haven't bought them yet.

17. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I think is funny is that before these toys hit I was prepared to loathe them because very little looked appealing to me. Flash forward to now, I've ignored the MechTech and have found quite a number of these toys are quite good. Voyager Megs is easily my favorite Megatron toy ever, tied with the Animated Leader version. Deluxe Prime is by far my favorite movie Prime, Deluxe Starscream is tied with the Leader version for my favorite toy of the character, Deluxe Roadbuster is an all-around great toy and one of the better movie-style carformers, Voyager Skyhammer is pure love in both modes, and almost the entire Cyberverse line is a combination of fun, creativity and excellent designs.

I do think the overall QC is still on the decline, as it has been over the last year or so, but I've been able to do exchanges easily so it doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. And the MechTech is fairly lame in most cases, but I far prefer something like that that I can just cast aside rather than something that is permanantly part of the toy.

18. Satomiblood

Sometimes you have to buy a figure to determine whether or not you're actually going to like it. You're not always going to know and you can't always depend on pictures and written/video reviews.

19. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

The idea of being able to put any weapon on any bot is pretty cool. Endless possibilities. That said, they are huge and I just don't care for them.

I get what you are saying about the size lacking because of the weapon though. I love the Thundercracker mold, but when I put him next to a ROTF deluxe mold, it looked scrawny and malnurished. As the OP said, looks more like a scout than a deluxe.

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I am not a big fan of Mech-Tech, but a majority of the ones I have are not as big and gawdy as I had expected. I thought they would all go in a bag when I displayed my figures, but I find myself leaving them on for now. Definately not as bad as I had anticipated. Some of the figures arn't quite as complex as I would like, but it makes it easier for me to pick and choose.

My thing is that it looks like they really tried to whore this line out this time. There seems to be way too much product, and I am just glad I am not into all these random sublines, but variety is the spice of life. I just wish that they had put out a few more new figures as by Wave 4 (I think) we will already have 3 deluxe bumblebees. I would just like to be able to knock out the line a little faster than this, but it has saved me on gas.