Anyone collect Street Fighter Action Figures?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pooky, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Pooky

Pooky Well-Known Member

I was planning to get into the Street Fighter figs from Sota Toys. Some questions...

1) The scale of the current line will not be the same as the upcoming Previews/Revolution lines correct? The upcoming line will be 8" (like GIJoe Sigman 6 size?) but what is the current line's scale? 6"?

2) How are the paint apps?

3) If possible, could I see someone's pics of their collection?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collect them (up to series 4(?) i.e. the Feilong aka Bruce Lee look-alike) and these are my thoughts on them:

i) The scale of series 1 to 4 are comparable to ML i.e. 6 inches on average. The larger characters like Sagat are taller and the smaller characters are usually shorter.

But unfortunately, there have been complaints that the toys aren't entirely accurate in scale. For example Ibuki (from wave 4) is taller than her computer game counter-part.

ii) Paint Application. Mixed bag. Generally they're good but like all toys some of them have paint flaws such as smudges etc.

Things to note:

i) There are boot-leg SF toys but suprisingly, the quality on them is similar to the actually toys, which is pretty good. The China factory that SOTA used, got cheesed off with their termination that they (the factory) released some of the toys without SOTA's approval.

ii) Quality of of the toys went downhill with series 4...rumors all that the factory decided to "slack" upon termination of their contract with SOTA.

I will try to post pictures of some of collection when I reach home as most of them are on my home cpu.

By the way, I didn't know that the upcoming releases will be 8 inch. I hope SOTA keeps the scale for Honda and Zandiff (spelling?) the same as the previous series.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really collect them, but I have picked up remy and sagat for a good price, so hopefully the info from those can help a bit (I think sagat and ryu might be from a different line than the main ones you're probably talking about. They are numbered and come in carboard boxes, not plastic cards. Though I never actually saw those 2 in the plastic carded version, and the logo is actually the same.)

[​IMG]

I think the scale is 6". but here's a pic standing next to the current line of spiderman origins toys for comparison.
    [​IMG]

In terms of paint aps, they are actually pretty decent. The plastic carded figures seem to have slightly more detailed, and more realistic features and paint apps, while the larger figures (sagat at least) have actual fabric clothing. There is a surprising amount of detail though on them from what I've seen, and Remy in particular is quite detailed. Buttons on his collar, and even the zippers on his arms are painted. There are actually few toys of this size that I've seen the same level of paint app on to be honest. I'd say they are definitely in the range of the toybiz legends figures. From what I've seen of the other figures, they are equally well painted, and probably worth picking up.

[​IMG]

Additionally, in terms of articulation, the carded figures are actually very well articulated, having jointed wrists, double jointed limbs, jointed feet, and a jointed torso. They also come with an additional head, 2 additional sets of hands, and a translucent projectile. The larger Sagat and ryu don't come with these, but I think are more for sealed box display purposes, as each is individually numbered on the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one thing that really bugs me though is that Remy's face looks a lot like Micheal Jackson's face. It's pretty creepy.

4. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

I have a bunch of them, and I'm really happy with most of them.

Here's Gen, awesome figure.
    [​IMG]

The only figure that broke on me was Ibuki. In fact most of the SF girls have tiny joints, and they can break easely.

I haven't had any problems with my Chun Li, though.

5. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I'm curious, can your Gen's ankle move "left and right"? Mine seems unable to move and I'm afraid of breaking it.

6. Banshee

Yeah, they can move. The paint they use sticks inside the joint somewhat, so be careful when trying to twist the ankles free.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks, man. I think I wil try using hot water to loosen the ankle joints...if I have time to take the toys out of storage...Anyway here's my pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Here's a couple more...the last pix shows the SF toys with a couple of ML.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

As with most figure lines these days it pays to check over the paint apps on them before buying.

SOTA's also going to bring out Darkstalkers figures which should be interesting. Can't wait for Morrigan.

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I'm trying to get a complete SFII collection. I think SOTA knew that's what I was doing, because they still haven't released a Zangief.

He deserves better than that.

11. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I have 4 SF figs, Round 2 Vega Round 3 Guile and Adon and Round 4 Remy, i still havn't gotten a Ryu mainly because he can't actually do a hadoken pose(which for him is his signature move hehehehe) i may get Revolutions/Preview Ryu just to have a SF3 looking one but i want them to do another classic one with brown gloves and the extra forward back shoulder movement needed to pull off a hadoken.

12. noob

noob Well-Known Member

the scale with the new figures will remain somewhat the same. i know that some of the parts won't quite be interechangable (heads, hands) with the new series and won't look quite right.

the paint aps are much better than most general retail products since they were sold at a higher price point and at speciality stores. i think the plastic used is also of a much higher quality and they all come with a lot of neat character specific accessories.

here's a semi recent picture of my collection.

[​IMG]

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Do they have varients as well? I'd love to get a Ryu in his dark blue color scheme...

14. Banshee

There's tons of variant colors.

Here's a link to the Sota SF figures Checklist, with all the variants.

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hope SOTA eventually release Honda and Zangrief. In fact, I'm puzzled why they're going ahead with Dark Stalkers when they have yet to complete the SF series.

16. Banshee

Dhalsim!

17. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    i wish they had accessories like fireballs and stuff...

18. Banshee

They do... Flaming hands, nunchucks, Kunai, Pineapples...

19. noob

noob Well-Known Member

shoes, cameras, chains, skulls, ...

after the big three are rereleased, we're gonna get Zangief, Dhalsim, E.Honda and R.Mika.
    that gives us 3 big old school characters.

20. Pooky

Pooky Well-Known Member

Man, very nice pics! They fit well with the ML figs. You all have convinced me to start a collection. Although, I'm late to the game, I guess it's time to start hunting. I want all the old school figs with their accurate color schemes. Will pick up variants if they look nice. Which are hardest to hunt down anyways?

I think I'll start off my collection with this and this. They all seem to be color accurate. Let me know if any are variants.

This thread makes me want to pop in the DVD movie (Japanese version) and watch. lol.