Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by -Barricade-, Mar 12, 2008.
If not buy it, its not as good as the first one in my opinion but still worth getting.
agh that's not good news to me, i didn't think the first "cg" one was that great, i was hoping this one would be better. :[
I enjoyed the first one enough. I want to get the second one on bluray. Should look very pretty in 1080 glory.
I liked it alright. Action sequences were stellar, and the plot had more emotional weight to it, although the sense of mystery was somewhat lacking. I was expecting a bigger twist or backstab at the end that didn't come.
It always bothers me a bit, though, when dub casts don't return for the sequel. No problem with the dub in and of itself, its all done by ADV's veterans (not sure if it's ADV itself that did the work for WB), it just lacks continuity.
It's somewhere in shippingland, for me, and I look forward to watching it. Even if the first one wasn't "Amadeus" or "Casablanca" quality, it's still great watching the shirow characters and designs I love come to life in CG.
My only real problem with the first was that Deunan and Bri were separated instead of having their "been together all this time" backstory, and from what I hear it looks like the new movie brings them together, which is great.
Yeah, I'll pick up the Blu-Ray version sometime soon...can't wait to see how it looks in beautiful 1080p.
that's exactly why i wasn't too fond of the last movie. Deunan and Bri spent almost no time together and had very little "chemistry"
I didn't even know this was coming out until I saw the trailer in an ad on IGN. I'm definitely going to rent this, the first one was good, but the action in this looks amazing.
Got it last night.
Haven't watched it yet, though...
FINALLY watched it!
Things that were awesome:
- Briarios + Deunan = chemistry! Finally!
- Within 3 minutes of me saying to myself "I wish they'd at least show the ork suits in these movies" they showed the cyborg terrorist, which was a dead ringer for a guy in an ork suit. Squee!
- Briarios = badass combined with awesome. Hot Toys (or Takara/Tomy, or anyone!) needs to make Bri in a tux.
- Landmate battles! See above plea for 1/6th (or ANY) scale Guges
- A plot that wasn't overly silly and hyperpolitically emulatative of Shirow's work. I know he's awesome at writing the stuff, but if you try to put it into animated form, it's a LOT of boring talking that doesn't make any sense (see also: Matrix Reloaded's Architect)
- They managed to resolve the love triangle WITHOUT killing off one of the members. And I thought for SURE that they would, too! Highfive!
- Doves! If you've seen the movie and ANY movie by John Woo, you know why this is awesome
- So much prettier than the flat shaded first movie. They gave the characters a bit of visual depth by darkening everything and taking out all the shiny pastels. Much more realistic/anime (I know, odd combo, eh?) looking.
- Briareos. Added (again), just 'cause he's awesome.
Things that were less awesome:
- I know Deunan is a showboat and selfsure, but when she had a team to back her up, she wouldn't have gone in and endagered everyone else (like she does within 5 minutes of the movie's opening). Sure, it allows a classic John Woo back-to-back shootout, but it just makes her look amateurish and careless (which she isn't). The second part where she goes in solo when there's no backup is wholly character appropriate, though.
- Not enough Briareos. Yes, I have a cyborgmancrush on him. So what of it?
All in all, the movie was everything I hoped it would be. Now someone needs to make a Landmate figure, @(*#%^it. Why is this so hard to comprehend?
I liked it.
I thought it was great!
Finally got around to watching this. I liked it more than the first one. The characters relationships and communication seemed very realistic to me. I'm glad I bought it.
Separate names with a comma.