Anyone addicted to go out and hunt for toys?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ranoobu, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I'll probably get some crap for this, but I really don't care because i'm seriously curious..

Does anyone understand the addiction of going out to the store to look for toys?

I've been fighting urges to go every day for the past few weeks now. telling myself not to go.. that my time is more important.. that i should order online because the difference is very minimal (at least for me?) in terms of gas + time + toy prices to online pricing.

I have other things that i have to do etc.. but my mind still just goes to "it's on the way.. i should check it out" sorta deal..

The "urge" will just pop out of no where.. if i have an errand to run, i think about how close a target/walmart/ etc may be close to just stop by..

Anyone get over this crap? I wonder if they have some sort of disorder name for this..

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    haha yeah man I'm totally with you on this one. I'm completely caught up on all the TF stuff right now, but I still stop off at TRU once in awhile, or if I'm at target or Walmart I still go by and look at the TF section, even though I know nothing will be there.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

The disorder you're talking about is likely OCD, which we've discussed on these boards before. You feel compelled to find toys you don't have.

And I do the same thing.

4. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    :lol  that's me

::searches for threads::

Too bad OCD is too short to do a search on :) 

Obsessive compulsive disorder brought up a few results.. only one ("am I a tf nerd?") was sorta related.. but it only lightly touched the subject.

But thanks for giving it a name. I had a feeling it may have been a type of OCD

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not addicted to the hunt, but I am on bidding. :D 

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I know a guy that has to buy toys. All he does is work all day & then after work he just goes from store to store looking for something. Doesn't collect anything in particular, he just buys toys, then a couple days later takes them back,trades them off or gives them away. He can't do anything else & can't quit. I used to hang out with him but all he does is go to Wal-Marts all night, I cant stand it. I'll go to Wal-Mart if I'm looking for something specific but he just goes out of habit. Even if there's nothing interesting out, he's just gotta buy something. It's weird & very annoying, he just has to buy something, then he takes it back a couple days later. That's how he spends his entire life, doesn't do much else. It's really sad,nothing but work & Wal-Mart hopping, that's all there is to his life. He really needs to get some professional help but he doesn't see that there's something seriously wrong.

7. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    "Hi my name is Brad and I'm also an addict"

I know what you mean, I just found the last to variants from the 25th Joe line that I've been looking for and while extatic that I finally found them... now I have nothing else to hunt for. I know that there are still things I'm looking for and and can find online, but I really enjoy the thrill of the hunt in the stores and feel kinda dissapointed that I don't have anything specific to be looking for. There's just something about finding a toy in the store as opposed to ordering it onlin, I prefer the web for vintage/older figures because that gives me the same "rush", but nothing compares to the feeling of finding that short packed figure just sitting on the shelf waiting for you to come along.

I second the OCD comment too by the way :D 

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Yah kinda. But now I'm starting to calm down since there isn't much I need.

9. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

Oh yeah, I can relate....I've spent the last 3 weeks, looking to get outta the house every chance I got, to go look for "Arcee". Finally found her yesterday! :lol 

10. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only thing I've found that will effectively 'cure' my addiction to go out and hunt is a good solid month or two of no payoff. I was hunting every single damn day for Concept BB. After finding Amelia Erhart, Charles Lindbergh (and his baby), the Yeti, Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster and the Holy Grail, and STILL not finding what I was really looking for, all of the desire just vanished at the start of this week and hasn't returned. Now I'm pretty sure my desire for Transformers in general is dead until the animated line starts kicking up dust. I even cancelled my preorder for Masterpiece Starscream.

11. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I'm this way when there's a TF toy line in the stores I like...other than that it's Ebay every day...

12. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

i had $3 to get sodas at walmart last night and still made time to go look.nothing good yet.

(mp starscream,anyone?)

13. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to stop buying Star Wars figures. With all the hype surrounding the UGH's and McQuarries, its been very hard to do.

14. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

The movie line completely weened me off collecting. Nothing out there interests me in the slightest.

15. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

you got a defective 77 'bee didn't you?

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Every single day.

17. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Im not so much addicted as I am very dedicated.

For example, CC Bumblebee. I used nearly two whole tanks of gas (my Prelude gets 350 miles to a tank roughly) and went to several different cities. Here's a rundown:
    Winder: Wal Mart
    Lawrencville: 2 Wal Marts
    Buford: 2 Wal Marts, Toys R Us, KB Toys
    Athens: 2 Wal Marts, Toys R Us
    Duluth: Wal Mart, Toys R Us
    Suwanee: Wal Mart

I did this for two weeks looking for that damn thing. Finally found him one night at like 2 am in Lawrencville after I had given up and was buying Bionicle.

18. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I was the same way when Alts were out and about....I would go just hoping to see something....sometimes knowing in my gut that the shelves would be bare....but just the thought of "what if" drove me to going, only to be disappointed in the end....

Since Alts are done, the urge has died down somewhat....but when Animated toys come out, I'm pretty sure the urge will be back in full swing...

So no, you are not alone....:D 

19. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I'm obsessed with the hunt ! I love the hunt and the adren-rush it sometimes give you.
    I'm sort of addicted but I can hold back when I think enough is enough.. then I wait a few weeks or so.
    But I must admit I like getting a new figure once a week either via shopping in stores or getting it from some auction via ebay.
    When I get the last movie figures I need + some single cybertron figs' I'll back off from collecting at such "density" and focus on Classics 2.0 when it arrives. The Animated line I just have no love for.
    Also after I'm awaiting my "last holy grail" MISB Brave Maximus I really can throttle down with the TF race.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I see it as being diligent and it's a habit I made during Alternators. I didn't miss a single one with the exception of Camshaft. Got every other one at retail, including Ravage, Rumble, Swerve, Mirage and Decepticharge. I've broken myself of repaints and most anything smaller than a scout which has saved a bit of cabbage. It's a habit that I'm putting on the back burner until the first sightings of MP Starscream. Then I'll plot the best routes to every Walmart in town.