Anyone a computer expert?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tfgraveyard, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Hey all,
    I've been having some trouble with my desktop pc, a HP Media Center m7640n. It started a few months ago, where I would turn on the computer, all the fans would start running(On high), the lights on the keyboard and mouse would flash once, dvd drive would cycle, and then the computer would just sit there. No signal to the monitor. If I powered it down, and unplugged it for a few minutes, it would then start when I plugged it back in. When it was running, it ran fine, no problems. Yesterday, It froze up on me, so I had to shut it down. I could not get it to start at all. I opened it up, blew out the dust, checked all the connections, and then tried to start it while open. It started. I then shut it down, closed it up, set it back up, and it would not start. Opened it back up, checked all the connections, and tried to start it. It wouldn't start. I have a spare power supply(not new, used), so I put that in. Still wouldn't start. I disconnected everything, and tried starting it with nothing attached to the motherboard(no cards, ram, drives). Wouldn't start.

So today, I had it opened up, and I was able to start it twice. I shut it down, closed it up, and was unable to start it at all. Opened it up again, and moved things around, and haven't been able to start it at all.

So, untill yesterday, the case of the computer has never been opened.
    Tried switching power supply's, didn't do anything(unless the used one I tried was defective also)
    Tried removing devices/ram/drives, to see if that was the problem, wasn't.

Any ideas? I'm kinda thinking the motherboard, except that it does occasionally start, and it runs perfectly once booted up.

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds like a possible heat issue. The heatsink over the cpu might have gone.

3. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Any way to tell for sure? Or do I just go get a new one?

4. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it is temperature, you can check what it is in the BIOS. Just hit 'DEL', 'F8' or whatever your particular motherboard tells you to do when it starts up. There should be some category in there that tells you various heat readings.

5. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    It doesn't get that far. When I turn it on, fans run on high constantly(instead of slowing down), no power to mouse or keyboard(other then the initial blinking of the lights). Nothing on the monitor at all, says no signal.

EDIT: also, when I have it unplugged, and I plug it in, it tries to start up right away, without me having touched the power buttom. I disconnected the power button, and it still does it. The few times it started fine, it did nothing when I plugged it in, and only started when I pushed the power button.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sounds like the motherboard is on its last knockings, chances are that it'll stop booting up entirely in the near future.

Send it back if its still under warranty.

7. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

sounds like eather heat issues or like Rabid said, the mother board is going. check to see if it is still under warrenty.

8. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    It's almost 3 years old, so no warranty. :(