Anybody work 2nd shift?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Macross7, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Due to the crappy ecomonmy, I lost my job back in Dec. Well it looks like I'm getting one next week. The downside is that it is 2nd shift 3-midnight (1hr lunch in there). I'm in IT and it does seem to be the about what I was doing before so that's good. A little more $$ then before. Just annoying that I can't hang out with friends like I normally would. I'm normally up until past midnight anyways so its not like I will be falling asleep.

Anyone else work these hours? How is it.

2. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, sorry can't help you.

3. Soging

Soging Well-Known Member

It'll ruin your life. I work 3rd shift and wouldn't wish it upon anybody.

4. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I used to work 2nd shift and absolutely hated it.While you're stuck at work,your friends are out doing stuff.Then when you have free time in the morning,all your friends are at work.I hated it so much that I'd take 3rd shift anyday over 2nd.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Way back when, I used to work the 5 PM to ??? (Whenever we were done with our last screening and everything we cleaned up/closed down) shift at a movie theatre and I never minded it.

6. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

It's a fifty fifty dealie.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've worked three to midnight at my hospital's emergency department on quite a few occasions. That's when things get interesting.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    during college I worked doubles on weekends: 3-11, 11-7am saturday and sunday, then went to class monday morning. Those mondays sucked but i was able to study on the second part of my doubles

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'm a security guard, so I've certainly done it a few times. Certainly my least favorite of the three for more reasons than I can count.

10. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 to 12? U can do mine. 2 on and 2 off then 3 on and 3 off. 6am-6pm then 6pm -6am. Flips every time.

It can always be worse man

11. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    I used to do a second shift (3PM to 11 PM with no lunch) and it wasn't too bad. As other's have said, I didn't get to hang out with my friends in the afternoon, but I definately got to sleep in in the mornings, which I though was great.

I also worked 3rd shift for several years (11 PM to 7 AM, again with no lunch) and that was great. I was getting up and starting my day as my friends were coming home for dinner so I could hang out if I wanted. I got off work in the morning as everyone else was starting their day, and found that I could be quite productive during those early hours before heading to bed.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when I was in college I worked the graveyard shift at a gas station 10pm -6am
    then worked 6am-3pm at Mervyns
    then did it all over again, that was just the weekends
    my weekdays consisted (this was my credential year too but I had been working at mervyns for four years at that point)
    weekdays was
    8am-3pm student teaching
    3pm-6pm classes
    6pm-11pm working at mervyns
    11pm-8am the next morning: do homework for my classes, create lesson plans for student teaching, correct student work, etc oh ya and try to sleep, lol, sometimes I would be on call as a paramedic/EMT from 11pm-8am too,
    ah those were the days when I had a life and had energy and ......well I'm just not the same person anymore :( 

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I work 4am to 12pm at my first job, come home, sleep a few hours, then go to my second job at 5:30pm and work until 2am. Come home, eat, go back to the first job. I only get real sleep on Wednesday mornings, Friday mornings, Saturday evenings and Sundays (when I'm off from one job or the other).

I miss doing the fun stuff, but whenever I think about quitting one job I think about how fat my bank account is getting and remember two words: Botcon 2013.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I prefer second shift as I'm a grown and settled man who doesn't give a damn about what people are out in the streets doing, and it lets me keep up with my workouts without having to wake up at ass-AM.

The one thing that does suck, is that the Mrs. is 7-3:30, so when I work nights, I'm pretty much home when she's asleep. and then she's up and gone when I wake up. On a personal level, though, I prefer the hell out of working nights.

15. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I work 14:00 to 23:00 as my clients are usually off-shore. It works for me right now as it allows me to bring the kids to preschool in the morning....and check out the TF stores enroute to work in the afternoon. You can also get wasted on Sunday and not worry about early Monday mornings.

The downside is my wife and I don't get to have dinner together as much as we used to. I guess this sched will work for me until such time that the kids would have homework where they'll need help and such.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When working at a movie theatre, I never minded second shift nearly as much as working every weekend. 2nd shift gave me plenty of time to catch up on movies and stuff on my DVR without the kids around.

17. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

2nd Shift doesn't bother me that much, it let's me sleep in a bit. Luckily my new job closes at 7, so I have some of ruff's evening to do what I want.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Worked 2nd shift for years. Had my gastric bypass in June and started working daylight a few months later. Couldn't stay awake at night anymore since being in the hospital. My life just got flipped, turned upside down.

19. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

When I worked for the post office at a sorting facility, my shift was 8pm to 4am. Worst shift off all. It started early enough for you to miss any shows at night, yet ended at such a weird time that it still messed up your sleep schedule.

They had really weird shifts that overlapped each other so mail processing never had to stop.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I worked 6pm-7am for a few months in 1998, that nearly killed my desire to live.