Anybody wish Hama would write monthlyG.I.Joe again?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by wheeljack01, Apr 8, 2006.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I just can't get into the new America's elite joe comic. I really miss the old days of the Hama book, where all the characters meshed really well with each other at every turn until they had so many characters coming out. The first 70-80 ishs were great but I really enjoyed the issues with the orginal team the most (1-10). I am glad to see Hama writting this new joe mini-series coming out taking place before the classic joe#1. I did like some of the orginal dd series like the serpentor arc but the red shadow arc absolutely killed it for me. That story was very rushed and had bigger holes in it that the star wars prequels! Anybody else long for the old days or are you fine with the new series?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had pretty much zero respect for Hama since the incredible disaster that was his Generation X run. First time I'd ever stopped getting a title because the writing was too bad.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah! hama rocks my world.

4. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

He did a pretty mediocre first arc to GI Joe Frontline a couple years back, not to mention the final 70-80 issues of the Marvel comic degenerated badly over time. It might be a case like Claremont & Furman, where the old writer should not come back. Better to remember fondly his classic run and move on.

5. wheeljack01

I do agree with you alpha mostly. I got to say war within 1 was very good so Furman still has his merit, Claremont, yeah I see what you mean. Claremont hasn't been good since the eighties to me. I read the frontline arc which was bad but I have hope with this new mini. He always handled the orginal team very well. The last 80 or so issues of the orginal run really did suck didn't they? Everybody in crazy day glo costumes, snakeeyes the center of the universe, firefly now a ninja, another terrible, terrible joe/tf crossover, bad artwork, ninja force, star brigade, and some bad story arcs.

6. wheeljack01

I also like the action force weekly stuff, I think Furman wrote some of it too. I know Geoff Senior's excellent artwork graced some of the pages. They actually had a good joe/tf crossover to boot. The stories of action force were darker in tone too.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm a huge GI Joe fan. Hell, I have my own GI Joe website (http://www.cobraisland.com *cheap plug*). But I haven't really been too into Hama's writing lately. The last I really enjoyed him was his stint on Wolverine back in the early-mid 90's with the gorgeous, jaw dropping artwork of Mark Texeria.

What I'd KILL for, is a monthly GI Joe series written by Brandon Jerwa. He put out the best stories of the 41 issue Devil's Due series.

8. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Gee, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the upcoming GI Joe: Declassified (#1 comes out in June). It's a new mini-series that reveals the recruitment of the original GI Joe team and the missions that took place before the Marvel series. And guess what? It's written by Larry Hama.

But to be honest, I haven't read much of Hama's work. I've only read Marvel #49 and the first arc of Frontline (except #1).

I have to agree with Devz, though. I loved Jerwa's run. Even though I didn't like some of his choices for casualties (Mainframe, Chuckles, Lady Jaye), I'd love to see him writing again.

9. wheeljack01

Actually primevil, I did mention it in the first post. I am very excited about this book. I just have been so dissappointed with joe stuff the past few years, I can't wait for a new joe item that gets me excited.

10. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    *checks first post* Huh. I don't know how I missed that.