Anybody want contemporary alternators?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Stryker729, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Add me to the "hell yes" column.

The original run is wildly under appreciated at the moment but they were incredible at the time and still impress today despite being a couple of generations behind in engineering.

As some have mentioned, these would be hideously expensive in today's TF world...and honestly, they could use some simplification. On that note, I'd be really psyched about realistic alt modes, premium materials and Titans Return type clean transformation schemes...or something equally enjoyable and less frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

I don't really want Alternators as they were ā€” with characters being placed into alt modes in a somewhat off key manner, janky robot modes and die cast. However, I liked the licensed alt modes quite a bit. I may take a peak if there were a line with G1/cartoon-ish robots and licensed alt modes with a premium finish ā€” although that would still be prohibitively expensive. A modified Chevy Silverado would make a mighty fine Strongarm...

Or, even, just integrating licensed alt modes into the lines as is. It's just the full interior, die cast and other factors are a bit too limiting for my tastes.

3. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto 8 Strings Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I'd buy a Subaru Outback transformer in a heartbeat

4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

YUP. Make them the same scale as the original BT/Alts so that they can easily sit side-by-side. BT/Alts are still a favorite line even with its flaws.

It would be great if Takara revived the line every 5-to-10 years. Put out six new molds and then let the line rest for another few years, then revive it again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I think that ship has sailed.

6. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the advances in engineering since BT-01 rolled out, thanks largely to the Masterpiece line, I'd be interested in a reboot. Plus Takara now have Lamborghini and VW licences!

7. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I'D also be down with this but would prefer more of your every day standard cars, that are fairly common rather than the higher end uncommon road cars they were.

E.g. Ford Focus or fiesta or vw golf or Audi estate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

The transformation lines were mostly very clean. That's why most "normal" people ask if the toy is a transformer or not. Like the difference between the MP Megatrons.

I would like to think it can happen. The Alternity line was closest thing we got to a successor. With how things are now, I doubt we'll get something bigger than 1/32. Honestly, it would not be the same if it wasn't 1/24 scale.

If ever, I would love that line better than MP and classics combined.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I already have that, in a way. I've been asked countless times by friends and family, why do you have that model Optimus Prime (Asia Striker Prime) truck mixed in with your regular transformers? Without picking the figure up and just glancing at it, they didn't know it actually transformed.

I loved the ALTs but it was hard to wrap my head around some of the weird choices back then, like an S2000 Decepticharge, instead of more obvious choices. Especially back then since Pontiac and Hummer were still around, Ironhide as a Hummer H2, Runamuck as a Trans Am or GTO? Don't think it'd work that great now days and it'd probably cost 75 bucks a pop. I think I remember paying 20 a piece back then, minus the exclusive ones.

Me personally, I have no interest in owning ones that would turn into a Camry/Accord/Malibu etc. As those aren't "cool cars" imo. Part of the draw for me is that I'm a car guy to begin with so anything that's sporty I'd be into.

IMG_20150820_125534179.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    To me that mirage ford gt is still hard to top in a lot of ways.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

No I sold off my alternators a few years ago. I collect solely chug scale and I don't need a grimlock mustang.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I agree that Masterpiece is giving me sweet real cars, and many of my faves too.
    But Masterpiece is so limited by only doing G1 accurate cars.
    There are loads of new awesome cars, but then you need to license them, and with a LOT of manufacturers, that's gonna be an issue.
    Still, I'd have a hell of a good time getting transformers of modern cars that are NOT made by Ferarri and Porsche and traditional pains in the a$$ like that.
    Like how about a modest little Ford? The GT?
    [​IMG]

So I do not want anything as mundane as a Toyota Corolla as the OP said, but there are lots of opportunities that I would jump on in a heartbeat, but since MPs are indeed delivering my supercars these days, any new Binaltech would need to be in MP scale.

• Like Like x 2
  13. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    I love displaying the beautiful car modes some of the movie toys have given us (and Alternators Smokescreen) so yeah I'd love it

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck nā€™ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be down with the idea but would prefer them to be modern Masterpiece size and articulated.

• Like Like x 1
  15. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    put me firmly in the "give 'em to me NAW!!!" camp, if they update transformations and face sculpts to actual MP level.

binaltech is what took me back to transformers, i'ts my first (adult) love and today they're still chillin' around in my detolf shelves

• Like Like x 1
  16. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

Mazda rx7 idw drift? Yes please

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Him, Skids, Grimlock... and V2 Ravage.

As for new Alternators/Binaltech... no, the car interiors, opening doors and so on are not a good idea in hindsight. As others have said, a lot was sacrificed in the bots to get detailed cars.
    These are the better option:
    ad3981c6-d6ab-40e6-9185-52a8d0ab8c56.jpg 9a399297-8b18-4d27-8635-583fa4d71e9f.jpg 5498c9b1-6ec1-4bb4-9293-7f62449b99ef.jpg 7b5cbe74-d348-4db0-a6e2-a16131e2776f.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You guys all know I hate Alternators and Binaltech.

^_^

20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

For a second I took that comment at face value and then I noticed who posted it and then I just smiled and laughed.