Anybody try to "get over" when they KNOW something is priced wrong?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dragonclaw, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    OK, normally I'd like to think I'm an honest guy...sometimes that evil streak I have takes over. I went to K-Mart on my lunch and figured I'd see what they had in stock (was looking for JLU Shade). Force of habit I check the little TF area. It had been set for the movie toys and for once the action figure aisles were PACKED. I caught sight of Leader Megatron with a tag under him for $29.99...um...WTF...sur eenough, they reset the aisle and simply moved the Cybertron Ultra sticker to the spot for the movie leader class. Still I ponder and look behind him where the rest of the shelf is 3 Primes...all in a row...obviously stocked that way. I look at the aisle and sure enough not a single tag for ANY TF higher than that Ultra one...and there's no space anywhere else on the shelves for other toys, including any leftover Ultras...so without saying what I did yet...would you use your TF knowledge for good and let someone know...or would you pull the surprised "but the tag says $29.99" and ask to have someone verify the tag?

So would you try to buy the 2 $44.99 figures for $29.99 each...and probably suceed, or do you do the honest thing? Ever done that before when you knew the price was wrong?

2. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I'd buy a Leader Prime for that price.

It's the store's responsibility to price it right, not mine. I'm just the customer, going by what I'm looking at and seeing on the shelf. If the shelf tag says that's the price, and there's nothing to contradict it, then that's the price I'd expect.

I'm sure they'd correct it soon enough.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

What I might do is, if there's an associate near the aisle or section, point out the Leader-Class stuff and ask them about the matter, see if I can get it at the front desk for that price. I wouldn't be "that guy" and hold up a cashier's line just so someone can go hunting the shelves to confirm something I already know is false.

4. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    basically it is like this, if the item has a price on it, it has to be sold at that price. If there are more than one sticker on it, it has to be sold at the lowest price. The only real exception is if it is ridiculously underpriced or something.

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Ive done it with the bubbled alts, if their staff cant do the proper job then thats their problem. I got prowl skids sunstreaker thanks to this.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you can't always blame the store.

I've seen people at toys r us completely move figures around to other price point locations (classic voyagers in the titanium spot), and then call an employee over and demand that price.

the store shouldnt be held responsible for that.

if there's a price tag that doesnt show sign of tampering is on the figure that shows a certain price, they should have to honor that price.

if a figure is in another figure's spot, and the shelf tag says the price is for something that isnt there, they shouldnt have to honor it. no way. the shelf tag says a cybertron ultra is 30 bucks, and a leader figure is sitting there. hmm, is the leader figure a cybertron ultra? no? well, that tags not for him.

if it said "movie leader 29.99", then sure.

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's funny how a lot of people seem to think there are "laws" the stores must follow in certain situations. Ultimately, an item will be sold by what the UPC scan says, not what some arbitrary sticker placed on the item says or a price tag that was on the shelf where the item may or may not belong.

Many stores will go strictly by UPC scan and ask you if you want it at that price or not. They have no legal obligation to sell it to you according to what some sticker says that may not have even been put there by an employee. Depending on the situation and the store, a manager might adjust it for you, which is fine. But please, don't be one of those dickhead customers who bitches and moans about how the store has to do this or that. No, they don't.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    The walmart(the only toystore beisdes zellers) in my city pretty much dumps everything on the floor and always has mistakes with items not entered in properly, Ive learned not to wait till the issue is fixed because once they are gone they never come back I have to complain or get people to do their jobs or I miss out. Ive even gone as far as taking the transformers off the skid unboxing them and putting what I didnt want on the shelfs, because if I didnt do it then it will sit there for god only knows when. Do your jobs people!

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Walmarts' official policy on items placed behind the wrong Price-tag is to give you either $3 or 3% off the correct price, depending on how high the price is.

10. rfsii

rfsii OCD/BiPoD/ADHD

Thank you. I was an assistant manager with a grocery company here in Texas, and as such I was charged with customer issues like price discrepancies. My personal policy, which was shared by many of my colleagues, was that if you were cool and nice, I would give you the price you quoted, or even less (sometimes I'd knock an extra dollar or two off for the trouble of the mislabel). If you were annoying, by stating that I "had" to give you the price of the mislabel, I would simply give you the option of buying it at the scan price, or not buying it at all. I would say this in nicer terms, however. Usually "I'm sorry sir/ma'am, but I can't give you this product if it's scanning in the system at this price. I apologize for the inconvenience."

Thus, my answer to the original question would be to ask for it politely at the mislabeled price, and if I was unable to get it at that marked price, I would acquiesce. Mostly because I don't want to be a "dickhead customer", and I was fully prepared to purchase the item at the regular price when I arrived at the store. If I get it at the lower price, then hey, bonus. If not, oh well.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually, in my province there IS a law. :) 

I'd explain it, but it's easier just to show you the notice that most stores must post at their checkouts. Note the english translation at the bottom.

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/e_programs/prix_affiche-an.asp

I've gotten my share of free stuff, including a bunch of Cybertron Deluxes a few years back, thanks to Zellers' sloppy pricing practices and this law. I just kept going back every day or so, to see if the pricing had been fixed, and it wasn't, so they just had to keep giving them to me. :) 

I don't know if that makes me dishonest, since technically, I was benefiting from the enforcement of the law and Zellers' repeated ineptitude.

zmog

12. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I prefer stores with the electronic price checker, if it shows up in the price checker for $29.99? Then that's what I'm gonna pay