Anybody read Hellboy/BPRD?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I couldn't find a BPRD or Hellboy thread in the comics section and thought I'd start one. I've been reading Hellboy for years and have been following the BPRD stories on and off since they started sans our favorite crime-fighting devil...

"The Black Flame," the most recent series of the "Frogs eating everyone" storyline, feels kinda hackneyed to me - each time Hellboy fights back a demon of the underworld, it's another one of the so-and-so-HEM or the whositwhatsit-JAHAD. It's getting a bit old hat. Now, if Hellboy, all of a sudden, made a reappearance and saved the day at the end of this series, I'd be happy. As of now...who the f*** cares what happens to the BPRD? They're just a bunch of yes men, anyway. :D  Honestly, though, the characters - Abe, Liz, Hans and Roger are becoming a bit action-film stale.

So, uh...yeah. Anyone else a Mignola/Hellboy fan?

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I recently jumped in with the black flame story and I honestly think its pretty good. But I do need to go and get the hellboy and earlier bprd series

3. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I to date have every Hellboy/B.P.R.D. Comic and tpb.. and all the books.

He is my undisputed favorite comic character..

But I will admit. While I like bprd allot. Its not as good as Hellboy proper.. And perhaps after his encounter on " The Island " he will see fit to come back to the regular storyline..

I just hope it dosen't take 2 years to get another 2 part hellboy tale.. and then another 2 to get enough to publish in a tpb..

4. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Yeah, I read the hellboy stuff haven't picked up B.P.R.D. books yet.

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I've read a mixture of the stories, but mostly jut Hellboy with a few B.P.R.D. books thrown in. I need to get the last couple Hellboy stories one of these days.

6. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I love the mignola stuff set in the hellboy world, but the rest of the stories arent really my cup of tea. I have encouraged a few people to read "The Corpse", and then they are hooked and end up borrowing all of my hellboy trades. Its really one of the better stories out there.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, agreed. I waited this long to see the man Hellboy show up in "Hellboy" comics again. I don't want to wait around watching the BPRD save themselves over and over again from frogs.

8. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

I miss Mignola.

I honestly don't care if he has movies to oversee, or pinups to draw for other publishers. I'm a selfish comicbook reader, and those external obligations are keeping him from his Chosen People.

A two-issue story every half-decade plus the assorted one-shots in the various "Darkhorse Book Of Insert-Monster-Here" compendiums just isn't enough (I eagerly await the day Darkhorse runs out of other monsters and releases the Darkhorse Book of Chupacabras).

Mignola's art is as much a reason to read Hellboy yarns as his writing is, and I miss that. No matter how repetitive the stories get (Nazis! Monsters! Pow!) you can always count on Cap'n Mike to wow you with beautiful layouts and the oh-so-distinctive use of black ink. He transforms comics into High Art (captial H, capital A) like no other creator, and I miss that, too.

I've purchased and read every BPRD miniseries thus far, but it's been more in anticipation of Mignola's (hopefully) eventual return than for any deep love of the stories themselves.

I miss Mignola.