Anybody not buying 3rd party products because they are not real Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Feb 23, 2012.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Anybody not buying 3rd party products because they are not real Transformers?

They are transforming robots, but they are not Transformers. Therefore, I cannot have them as a representation of an existing Transformers character because they are in essence not that character. I can ALMOST accept them as a stand alone transforming robot toy, but I dislike it when 3rd party companies use official Transformers art work to depict their works.

Although, it is hypocritical for most people to say they are completely against piracy because... erm... you know... but I am just very OCD about solid stuff.

To me even Diaclones are not Transformers, but pre-Transformers.

Anybody thinks like me?

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There's no way this thread will end well.

I'll just say I disagree with you. In my collection most 3rd party products are Transformers.

3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

No.

I'm not buying them because they're at least 500% more expensive than something Hasbro would release. If I did have 3rd party products, I'd have no qualms adding them to my collection.

But yes, people do think like you. I do not, personally. I don't care what the figure is from, if it looks cool and if fun and transforms, I'll add it to my collection.

4. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought if a car changed into a robot it TRANSFORMED???? But thats just me. I like alot of the 3rd party stuff and i like the offical stuff also. Its just a matter of opinion i guess. :)  Oh probally should be in the 3rd party discussion?

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I don't buy them because they're usually too expensive. But if/when I get some, they will be Transformers.

6. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    At first I didn't want them because yeah, they were't real transformers but after the Fansproject Bruticus add-ons came outI just fell in love with them and know I own about a dozen third party figures and add-ons.

7. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kinda agree with the OP. I have upgrade sets (city commander, hardhead upgrade, igear kup head) but no stand alone characters. The igear minibots are making it mighty tempting though.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

But in reality it's because i'm cheap. :p 

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's true that that they're not officially Transformers, but we all know what they're ostensibly trying to be.

In any case, be it 3rd party, knockoff, custom, or a transforming toy from another brand, the fandom has often incorporated unofficial or non-TF toys into their collections to serve as stand-ins of TF characters.

As has been said numerous times before, there's no official rulebook for collecting. It's all a matter of personal preference.

10. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    so this, the price is pretty much all that's keeping me from buying most of the stuff being released by 3rd parties.

11. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Well... I assume most people interested in 3rd party products will go to the 3rd party discussion, so it is better to Post it here? Else it defeats the purpose of this Thread.

12. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    So....you only hold an opinion about what something is based on what a corporation tells you it is? Your devotion to the company is duly noted. If you derive some kind of benefit from that then that's fantastic. I have seen no such benefit. If anything, corporate loyalty has brought me nothing but frustration, and I am glad that third parties (and even the occasional KO) can relieve some of that.

It's about the character and the toy, not about the marketing behind it. If it looks like the character I like, then I don't give a damn what the copyright stamp on his leg says. I also do not give a rat's ass if someone wants to go through my collection and point our what is and is not An Official Transformers® More Than Meets The Eye© Transforming Robot To Whatever©

If we can accept that a character may change forms from one continuity to the next, and that he/she/it may change some personality traits or other characteristics while still remaining close to what people think of as intrinsic qualities of the character, then some of us can accept that the physical representations of said characters could come from a variety of sources and still mean just as much to the person who purchases them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  13. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could care less...I just don't buy them because I can't pay $100 for a deluxe...when I could buy nine or ten deluxes for that price. If you got it like that...more power to you...I got 2 kids that are still in daycare $$$

14. Xzbit

Xzbit Well-Known Member

I used to skip the 3rd party stuff because they weren't "real transformers".Then I saw Hercules and he was my first 3rd party figure and now I just got fansproject protector set.I'm in trouble now because they really are bad ass toys but expensive.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't buy 3rd party products because 99% of the time they're not any better than what I can go out and buy, only at eigth times the cost. Plus I don't feel they take advantage of the collector market they cater exclusively to. It's always Devastator, or '84-'85 cast members. However I don't care who makes waht. If I like it, I'll buy it.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Partially. It's mostly because they are expensive and I don't have a way to order them online. I also don't like the idea of supporting the IP infringement.

17. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

No?

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree.

BUT

I feel that way about some of Hasbro's official Classics/Generations toys, as well. So...whatever.

19. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'll just give one example of a 3rd party figure being waayyyy!!! more accurate to a character design than anything Has/Tak has released. IGears PP05. There is no way you can be a transformers fan and not know who that is, whether it's offiicial or not it's still only plastic.

20. NIMISISKRASH

NIMISISKRASH DESTROY ALL TOYZ

Instagram:
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ mine are older but I still agree 100%!