anybody live in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by encline, Oct 4, 2008.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please pm me with anything about living there. I am interested in checking it out for a while. Cost of living, working, etc. I know this may sound silly. But also how easy is it to get mail and to purchase TF stuff. I ask because of my customs.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Look at mah location. The big question is where are you looking at living? Cause outside of HRM it can get pricey with gas and all. I've ordered over 100 things over the internets and have always recieved them. As for buying TF's I've never had much trouble buying anything released at Canadian retail.

3. encline

News Credits:
    Sweet. Is Halifax a cool place to live? Have you grown up there?

4. lars573

I grew up here yes. Halifax is a decent place to live. Clean, accept the habour. Decent bars, always some show going on. Good restaurants. Crime rate not too crazy. Transportation beyond a car is a big hassle unless you live close to the downtown core.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I know Wheeljaxx lives there, you might want to PM him.

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I can testify to the mail system at least.

Board member Wheeljaxx is from Halifax as well, we have done many transactions with TF's and GI Joe stuff, never had any issues at all with the mail at all, whether coming or going (knock on wood)

7. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yeah, NS is wonderful. the south shore of nova scotia is as close to a canadian "new england drive" as you can get, and Halifax is the biggest little city in Canada. there are more bars here oer capita than anywhere in Canada, due to the 3 major universities, 2 major colleges, and various trade schools, Halifax also has a population of students that tips the female/male ratio in my favour.. :D 

you will have no problems finding a job, Halifax, other than Calgary is the fastest growing city in canada at the moment, and there is new construction onnerly every block.

Rent is a bit pricey. very un-reasonable rates for alot of locations, due to the universities, BUT you can get lucky. the south end of HRM is very upscale, rich and is where 2 universities are, so all the cheap housing is taken early by students. the North end, is also very pricey, unless you live in the outer sections, but then you have a rather dirty, dock, or dry dock view out your window. the west end is pretty nice, right near teh commons and all the malls. lots of houses, not many appartment buildings. then the outer neighboorhoods like Clayton park, bedford and sackville, unless you have a car, is pretty long bus ride, and limits your evenings out on the town due to the rather early bus lst run.

Myself, i live right down town, in the thick of it all. the corner of Bohemia and the hood. i live where it all goes down, hippies and hookers, crack heads and art snobs, the best damn bars in town and i can walk everywere i need to be.

i suggest staying away from the island, not many jobs and very out of the way, but i highly recomend doing the cabbot trail drive sometime. there are lots of nice small towns, lots of history, early forts, and historic sites.

i would recomend coming.....

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I went to Halifax when I was in the Navy. Nice town. The one thing that I seem to remember is that the women outnumbered the men like 3:1 or something like that. :D 

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yes, TRUE, and it's all hills so they all have NICE BEHINDS.

10. lars573

I grew up in that part of the north end. :lol  I still live at home with the parents, in Sackville. The end of the bus service is 1.5 km from the driveway. Before he moved out my younger brother's way of dealing with the limits of busing and the espense of cabs was to wander the streets sobering-up until 6 am.

11. encline

News Credits:

I wife would love the ladies!!:)  J/K

Sounds really cool. We are pretty simple laid back couple. We like our peace when we want it. We do have a car. So living about 30 mins-1 hour would be no problem. Just as long as I could do customs and use ebay!!!
    Is it true there is a lot of "AMERICANS SUCK" people there. I mean, Americans think Americans suck, but I read some stuff about tourist getting messed with.
    Is there are large Spanish speaking community there? My wife speaks spanish and I am learning. Didn't know if that could help.
    Do you ever go surfing?

12. stunticon

stunticon Well-Known Member

I doubt you will find a high degree of anti-american attitudes here, unless you go looking for it. Its a great idea to ask questions here on this forum to get an idea of what kind of place it is, but as an example, I could possibly understand someone having a bit of an attitude in Halifax if you were to ask if you can get mail there (just an example of course, depends on how you ask, but like wheeljax said it is the second fastest growing urban centre in Canada). So basically, its just common sense; if you talk down to people (or they feel like you may be talking down to them even though its unintentional), they will get their back up. For the most part, at least where I live, when Americans point out differences, it is done in a positive way, and we take it as a compliment (Nova Scotia depends quite a bit on tourism). I live in Cape Breton, and it is beautiful, but unless you are a doctor or have a skilled trade, you won't be able to find work quickly (unless you want to work in a call centre, plenty of those jobs it seems, and the spanish may come in handy there). The Annapolis Valley is another beautiful area of Nova Scotia (I went to University there), and the job prospects would be better than Cape Breton. Outside of Halifax, the cost of living decreases quite a bit, so you may want to factor that in your decision as to where to setup (should you decide to make the move).

13. Covain

Covain Original G1 Fan

Nova Scotia is very nice. I have lived here all my life and don't have too many complaints. The only trick will depend on your line of work. Halifax and the Nova Scotia area is primarily a service industry from retail to tourism with fewer high tech jobs. So you want to check out some of the options in the area using some job search sites. We have a lot of good entertainment but you need to be able to afford it. We don't have a lot of sports with the exception of some University level games and a pretty good Hockey Team with good ticket prices. If you can get away with and don't mind driving I would strongly suggest buying a house instead of renting. The houses start to get pretty reasonable about 30-45 mins outside of the city and traffic isn't too bad, you just have to plan for it. In recent years there have been two big business park developments just outside the immediate city limits and they tend to have most of what you need.