Anybody know why RID used a different Autobot symbol?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cheebs, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's always bugged me. Original-mold RID Autobots all have an autobot symbol that while being close to the G1 symbol, is most definatly not the same as the G1 symbol. Then from Armada on up to the present it's been back to the G1 symbol.

Anybody know why they re-drew the Autobot badge for RID?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why other than maybe inexperience molding the pattern correctly... That slipped my mind that the RID Autobot symbols were that off.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    But it's not just the molded symbols. The stamped/painted symbols are like that too.

[​IMG]

There's a painted RID on the left vs a G1 sticker on the right.

And yeah, I'd chalk it up to a screw-up in drawing/molding if it was one fig, but every RID Autobot badge is mutated in that exact same way.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Now that I didn't notice... I just took a look, and irony is, the Decepticon symbols they didn't even use in Car Robots is spot on. Maybe they molded the symbols like that and Hasbro that did the Autobot stamping followed suit to match since it was cheaper than fixing the molds. That line was all cost cutting, pretty much.

5. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I forgot about the insignia difference. Thanks for the pictures. To tell you the truth the RID insignia looks a lot closer to the insignia used in the G1 cartoon which had the shorter and fatter look to it than the figures. The RID insignia is close to if not the same as the insignia used on the Heroes of Cybertron PVC figures that gave them a more cartoon feel.

6. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Yeah, okay... I'm definitely not seeing it.

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    *shrug*

You have to understand that Hasbro doesn't necessarily use the SAME factory for EVERY figure. There's a good chance that, since they hadn't used Autobot symbols in, oh, 10 years, that they simply got as close as they could and went with it and distributed it as such.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hmmmm... That definatly sounds plausable.

9. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Maybe they just wanted to use a different style for the show. They changed just about everything, why not the look of the symbol?

10. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's subtle, but after seeing the same Autobot symbol for 20 years, the difference in the RID symbol is noticable.

For instance, the G1 symbol has lower drooping cheeks where the RID symbol has higher cheek bones and a change in the jaw angle after the lines coming down from the eyes.

The RID symbol also puts the vertical lines from the eyes further out to the sides of the face.

G1 has a wider "rounded triangle" at the top of the head. RID has a larger white triangle inside of a smaller red triangle.

G1 has a much longer bridge of the nose in the area above the eyes.

And so on. Pretty much the whole thing was re-done, and then after RID they went back to the old symbol.

11. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

All I see is that the insignia for RID is infinitesimally squashed.

Meh.

But I'd agree with Kickback.

But, personally, I never even caught that and I still didn't catch that until about 5 minutes of intent staring at every detail of the insignias.

12. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    This makes me think of all the figures I want to put on my shelves for display during my Great Reset of 12/25/06. Damn Classics have me in that mood since there will not be many of them.

13. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Still looks like G1 Prowl to me, as it should.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm guessing it has to do with that RiD was the beginning of 'stamped-on' faction symbols for Hasbro. They may be different because they were just starting out with it, or they were trying to match the sculpted logos on the Car Robots toys, I dunno.

All I know is they got better at 'symbol stamping' technology over time. in RiD they needed a flat surface, but in Universe they were stamping bot symbols over a curved, scaly dinosaur face. :) 

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm sure it's a combination of factors, from the stamping process to artistic license, to the notion that most people wouldn't notice or care about it. Isn't it a bit anal to complain about the Autobot emblem on a toy line?

Heck, from the storytelling point of view, Fire Convoy and his Autobots were from the future, perhaps the symbol changed sometime in the future, and this is a way to show that change on the figures.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I always like RID's symbol. It looks more "Cartoony" to me. More bloated yet squished. I figured after a 10 year hiatus of the Autobot symbol they just needed some practice, or at least maybe wanted to give the RID symbol as unique a look as they could.

17. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

A better question is what's up with the Decepticon symbol inconsistency? The decals and G1 box art never matched up.

18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

it's not even that different. in a lot of ways the RID one actually looks better.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never knew there was a difference in the RID symbols until seeing this thread. I don't think it makes much of a difference anyway. It is a cool TF factoid though.

20. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

Ok, it's been to long since i saw a G1 box for a decepticon....what's the inconsistency there?

p.s i didn't notice a difference in the autobot symbols till this thread, honestly i like the RID one. I don't know if it is cartoony but I think it looks polished.