Anybody know how to fix a furnace?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Depthcharge, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So my wife and I bought our first house last April and after a basement flood, incorrectly wired air conditioner, defective hot water heater, and a tree falling on our garage I'm starting to regret this move.

Todays crisis: My furnace will work just fine (ie the blower comes on, the pilot ignites, and the main burner then ignites) for about 10 minutes or one cycle until the house warms up to temperature. After that the burner and pilot go out (its an electronic ignition, not a standing pilot) and from that point forward when the furnace attempts to come back on the blower works but the pilot doesn't light anymore and I get a blinking light on the control box indicating that it is in a "retry" cycle.

I've checked much of the pipe work and made sure everything is clean and I've also checked that the wiring connections between the control box and the pilot are firm and powered. Any ideas what might be wrong?

-DC

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I know how to fix it:

Call a Heating and Cooling guy and let him do it, correctly.

3. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Yeah, gas furnaces are not for the DIYer. Call an expert so you don't blow yourself to hell trying to fix it yourself.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, this is the only other skill set I have on account of doing plumbing when I was younger, and I have a coupla ideas, but all of them still translate to you getting a professional.

Too much money and too much danger involved.

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Same as everyone else. Get an expert in so you can make sure it meets regulations. It shouldn't (hopefully) be too expensive.

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Make sure your vent pipe is clear. I think you said you did that though. I had a similar problem a while back where my vent pipe got kinda twisted and I had issues.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd bite the bullet and call a pro. As always you wanna do your homework on whoever you're looking at and maybe ask folks you know for referrels.

That or get Fosterlager to fix it. Foster can fix anything.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Do you hear the ignition trying to fire it up? Sounds like it may need a new controller/ignition - or maybe the temp sensor is bad.

And yeah, if replacing those involves tampering with the gas lines at all, let a pro do it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  9. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No there's no ignition sound at all, it doesn't even try. I appreciate everyones comments and I'll probably call someone to come look at it. I was just hoping to maybe pin down a cause because my father in law is really good with this stuff and could replace a part for me if he knows what to replace.

10. mpdb6

mpdb6 Active Member

Did you get a home warranty with your house? If you did, it should cover it. If you didn't, fire your real estate agent for not insisting on it.

11. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I got that service where you choose what you want covered in your house.

fridge, oven, furnace, ac unit, main sewer, washer, dryer, water heater and others. I got it all baby. And lemme tell ya, it REALLY REALLY helps.

It would be nice if your gas company offers that repair service. For a small fee per month they will basically repair/replace parts for no extra charge.

I recently had the same symptoms you have. The board fried.

replacement price $888.00 my price.......$12 bucks a month. Nice.

Thank You Centerpoint!