Anybody into the orginal jack kirby new gods stuff?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by wheeljack01, Apr 8, 2006.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

After watching some of the superman animated stuff focusing on the new gods, I wanted to get some old school Kirby new gods issues. I have done some research on the web about these books(forever people, jimmy Olsen, the new gods, mr miracle) and it seems I would like the mr miracle stuff the most. He really seems like a cool character, I am talking about the scott Free version not the current one in seven soldiers. I also want to read the old demon series by Kirby. I really have been getting into Kirby stuff alot these days. To me old books blow newr ones out of the water. Anybody else read any of this stuff? Awaits for a Rabidyak resonse.....

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    My brother has New Gods #1. It's pretty cool. I agree that in most cases older books do blow newer ones out of the water. One of the biggest reason for me is because it's not completely necisary to buy 50 other tie-in books just to understand the current storyplot. I'm getting rather anoyed with DC and Marvel's constant "epic event" syndrome. You can't have a story without it getting interupted with a crossover mega event anymore.

3. wheeljack01

I totally agree just look at that house of M crap.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Go get it. As woeful as the current B+W Fourth World TPBs are, they're cheap enougth to be disposable and even if end up not liking them you've seen one of the most notable works of the 70s.

Kirby's writing can be a bit of an aquired taste, but the sort of overblown melodramatic dialouge he was prone to actually works well in New Gods since its basically an overblown melodrama about clashing cosmic socities that is trying to make a point about good/evil and destiny.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm interested but where can I find more materials on them? What are the titles of the TPBs etc?

6. wheeljack01

The new gods. Mr miracle, forever people, and the latter issues of superman's pal Jimmie Olsen.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks for the recommendations but which one has the 'origins' of the New Gods?

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

The New Gods TPB gives all the general info you need to know on how the New Gods/Fourth World and New Genesis & Apokolips came to be.

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks, man! I will check out that TPB! I've been so interested in them for ages! :D