Anybody into Tabletop games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FanboyX, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Tabletop, yes. But wargames.

Moved away from GW silliness long time ago before they axed their fantasy universe and never really cared about their WH40K universe. My last GW wargame was LoTR and after that I've discovered that historical wargames simply have much better written rulesets and much nicer miniatures than GW and less of it is trademarked (which means that I have no need of worrying about official models and GW rewriting things only to sell a new army book and new "better" models...).

Never looked back at GW.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. FanboyX

FanboyX Chef Goldblum

I've never had a chance to play any war games, but as our D&D characters are getting into the teens in levels we are beginning to command small armies and have been considering using a war game ruleset for large scale battles.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Cost is a factor, but if its quality its worth it.

3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

There was a supplement for 3.5 ed D&D, The Miniatures Handbook.

It had rulesets for large skirmishes played with this edition.

Might require some tweaking and house rules for use with 4th and 5th editions.

4. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once, back in the day.

Was way into Dungeons & Dragons and cut my teeth on 2nd Edition before moving to 3rd and 3.5. Tried a few other systems like Shadowrun, GURPs, Vampire, Werewolf, Millennium's End, but always ended up back at D&D as it was my favorite. Those were fun, geeky times as a high school kid, with pizza nights, snacks, and just good ol' hanging out with friends.

Pathfinder and A Game of Thrones for 3rd Edition was pretty cool too. Started with tabletop as a player before moving to online live chat, message board, and PBeM (Play By E-Mail) as a DM, as I was pretty good at world building (still have maps and notes saved on my computer from that time), writing, story-telling, and such.

Kinda dropped out of the D&D scene 15 years ago due to a drastic change of career and work, so I missed out on 4th Edition and didn't know that there was a 5th Edition until I read it here. I do miss it and want to get back into playing, but my studies and job (also tough to find like-minded players when you're overseas) on top of toy collecting take up a lot my time already (not to mention keeping the missus happy by spending time with her too :D ).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I may actually be getting back into D&D in a small way. My girlfriend, my daughter and her best friend are all interested. My daughter and her friend do RPing (role playing) on OviPets, which is chat-based. Same ideas but without the dice.
    All three are interested to give D&D a try, so I may dig out the old rulebooks and DM screen and give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Let us know how it works out if you all give it a try!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I played 4e for levels 1-10 a few years back, but I haven't found a new group - I work too much and my schedule's inconsistent. Combine that with me not liking any form of D&D other than 4e, and I'm kind of stuck. I have been looking into other games: Fate, for example.

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

I need to find a 5E game I can regularly go to. I've played 4E and 3.5/PF as well. I don;t hate 4E as much as most people since it was the first edition I played - it still wasn't great compared to 5E, but it's not an abomination. I prefer regular 3.5 (EBERRON, BITCHES) to PF because I don't like how Pathfinder strays into edgelord territory too much. They have the best goblins ever, and I love them working cryptids, Japanese folklore and the Cthulhu mythos into it, but I think having the ogres basically be giant Deliverance hillbillies is going a bit too far.

I mean, at least WH40K knows how ridiculous its over-the-top grimdarkness is. I don't play WH40K because anime conventons, video games and Transformers already devour too much money as is, but I still like DA ORKZ, and I basically just used a steampunk fantasy version of the Imperium of Man as the bad guys (unlike the Imperium of Man, who live in a universe where all the other races want them dead, the bad guys in my homebrew setting are human supremacists in a world where there are no Always Chaotic Evil races) in a homebrew setting I worked on that I hope I get to make into a JRPG-styled video game one day.

My main issue with 5E is that they haven't officially done anything with Eberron aside from an Unearthed Arcana playtest thing. I'm not a big Forgotten Realms fan, TBH. However, they thankfully brought back Aasimar after replacing them with Devas in 4E, allowing me to bring my badass-yet-adorable Aasimar Cleric to the table.

Honestly, since I rarely get to actually play D&D, I look up splatbooks from 3.X on the internet and cobble together bits and pieces from them into my own homebrew world. I know a lot about D&D's lore despite only playing it very rarely.

9. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Ebberon was the aborted love/poster child of 3rd edition. And predictably it failed spectacualrly. They threw tons of cash into it and attempted to hose it down our throats even when it had ragged public outcry by doing so. They delayed the release of the 3rd edition rules for Faerun (forgoten Realms) by about two years, on purpose to hook people on Ebberon. That failed too. Point is D&D became what it was because of settings such as Forgotten Realms (always is and always will be the flagship) and their policy on Ebberon practically sealed its fate. I am surprised it still exists and that they refuse to update other flagship settings such as Dragonlance, Ravenloft and Darksun. Then you have 4th edition which was....Akin to the dinobot beast. We shall not speak about it. At least from the little things I read 5th seems to be mostly on the right track.

10. Honorbound

Actually, if I recall, Eberron was well-received in most circles. Sure, the grognards hated it, but then again, the grognards hate everything. They make Geewunners look tolerant.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Forgotten Realms isn't a bad setting, but I like how there's no such thing as "Always Chaotic Evil" in Eberron aside from beings that are literally made from evil (demons, devils, rakshasa). Eberron has sapient golems that are for all intents and purposes robots called Warforged, and two of the other Eberron races (Shifters and Changelings) are pretty cool. Plus, the magical technology reminds me of the Magitek from FFVI, and Eberron is one of the four big influences on my homebrew setting (the others being Final Fantasy, The Legend of Zelda and The Elder Scrolls).

12. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Then tell me why it was a financial failure? And certainly I cant speak for everyone but in our little corner of the world the eberon suplements and campaign settings were left gathering dust.

13. Honorbound

Again, I don't recall Eberron being a financial failure. I seriously doubt that WotC would have redone it for 4e if it had been a dud in its premiere edition.

14. FanboyX

FanboyX Chef Goldblum

Fifth Edition dungeons and dragons definitely has more 3/3.5 than 4th, but it takes some concepts from 4th and improves or streamlines them. I enjoyed 4th, but having looked into other games and previous editions I can totally understand why some feel it's anything BUT Dungeons and Dragons.

WOTC's lack of support for other settings is disappointing, but I do like the Forgotten Realms. I like the idea of Ebberon but wasnt as involved in the community as I have been so I don't know anything about the forced feeding of the setting. Sounds like bad business.

Thanks! I'm going to try and check that out.