Anybody here collect Battle beasts?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by battlebeasts, Oct 25, 2006.

1. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

Im currently working on completing a set including Lasers and bases. Anybody have BB collection pics?

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I wanna start, SOme pieces go for insane amounts

3. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I feel the same way man... it's too bad my brother sold all of them Ebay about 5 years ago.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No pics handy, but I've got them all except a few of the uber-rare Laser Beasts that only come in that boxset. It would be fun to see some of these guys reissued.

They're not too terribly hard to find on eBay, and Yahoo Japan is helpful for tracking down the Laser Beasts. Good luck!

5. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

Im looking for stone Cobra and clear carp for now, get the big$$$$$ out of the way.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Orodruin has a bunch of them I believe and some pics as well. Hope he does'nt miss this thread.

Used to love those things (and M.U.S.C.L.E.) Was going to re collect but they've gotten very pricey.

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Ive seen abuncha clear carps on yahoojp aswell as ebay and only a few stone cobras.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I do! I do! :) 

As kids, my brother and I had a pretty decent collection, and we managed to keep most of the accessories together too... until I moved out, and the Battle Beasts were decimated by the power of younger sibling abuse. :p 

Fast-forward a decade or so, and my bro and I would frequently lament the loss of those neato little cyborg animals... I mean, we really loved those!

Then one surreal night, I sat bolt upright out of a dream at 4am in the morning. "By god!" I think "I'm sure I can find Battle Beasts on EBAY!" What a concept, eh? Anyway, I surfed up a number of auctions that very night on some weird nostalgia-fueled 80's plastic bender.

Now I have the full north-american set! Woot!

I'm not a hardcore collector... my mandate was no more than an average of $2 per beast, and I mostly managed to keep to that. My main motivation was memories of having them as a kid, so the ultra-rare, pricey unpainted variants mean nothing to me. I'm just happy that I now have the whole run of Battle Beasts that I remember from way back. Also, I have a ton of spares now from all the lots I had to win just to fill those few remaining holes in the collection.

If they weren't so damn expensive, I'd love to have some of those japan-only releases... I like how they got more experimental with the animals towards the end. Also, I'm still way behind on the weapons... those are considerably tougher to amass, so I've ended up outfitting most of my Beasts with substitute weapons from other toy lines. It does the job, but there are some weapons that I miss because they just fit the figure/animal type so well!

9. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

I would love to see your collection. What extras do you have?

10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only collect the BB that were packaged in the G1 TF style boxes...I currently have 10 I believe. I also have one MIB Laser Beast chariot, Slag King w/ Battle Savanna. Only Battle Beasts I have is the ram chariot w/ a rhino Laser Beast...picked it up on eBay for $4 about 2 or so months back.

I've love to score the JPN packaged bases...but like everything else on my want/dream list they are hard to find and expensive!

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Indeed I do. :D  I'm only really after the early beasts though, series 1-3. I might go for the cheaper lasers once those are done, but I just don't want to spend $80+ per high numbered laser beast. From what I learned on the Beastformers.com forum most of the beasts used to go for about $3, but ebay prices have gone nutty lately and I've had to dish out close to $20 for some of the low numbered beasts. I only caved because I just didn't want to wait and fight for a better price. I don't have any recent pics (I think I only have about 15-20 more to go), but let me dig up the most recent... here we go:

[​IMG]

The one on the bottom left is the first of 3 customs I made. I want to do a bunch more (got a whole neat little thing planned out, including custom rub signs) but that's been pushed to a back burner.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that display stand one of those ones you can get from Walmart for just a few dollars? Man, that's PERFECT for these little guys! Looking good!

13. Orodruin

News Credits:
    It's actually from Lowes, CM found them a while back. $10 a piece which seems kinda high now that I think about it. Officially it's a spice rack, so it's in the kitchen area.

They're fantastic for smaller figures though, I want to get like 10 more of them. :)  I've got my SW titaniums on one, I want to put WST on there, PVCs, Myclones, all the BBs, maybe the 3" tits... LoCs... everything.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

They are a little pricey, but it's almost like a 2-1 deal since they come in 2's , and are able to slide in each other for that custom length fit.
    Hope you get some , they are perfect for small fig displaying and wish I had about a 100 of them. Also good for selling lots on ebay, they make em look pretty.
    Im thinking Lowes and other hardware stores are the only place to get them. Could'nt find them at Target or Walmart.

Here's the packaging
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/expandashelffob.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/expandashelfbob.jpg

15. Orodruin

News Credits:
    I've looked at Target, but their spice racks are all fancy with rubber tops so stuff doesn't slide. Great for spices, crappy for toys.

16. SMOG

Hey, y'know what I found makes great space-conscious bargain BattleBeast shelving?

DVD spindles! For some reason, I've been hanging onto my old empty 50 disc spindles, and one day it hit be between the eyes... they're pretty much the perfect size for BattleBeasts!

Each one fits at least 6 standing beasts with weapons. I've inserted a bit of black foam tubing (pipe insulation) around the center post so it keeps the beasts snug, so they don't move around too much, though a bit of tape or blue-tack on the feet would serve the same purpose. The nice thing about these is that they're clear, closed (so it protects them from dust), AND they stack (especially if all the spindles are the same design)!

This allows you to store your beasts in windowed, modular "towers". My whole collection of singles fits on display in two 3-foot-tall towers!

But what about those beasts who are facing the back? Well, that's also a nice feature, because the way the spindles rest on each other, each one rotates like a turntable. You can show them off by simply rotating the level you desire to show the ones in back. In my robot room, where space is a commodity, this works really well, and it didn't cost me a cent. Recycling rules! :) 

As an alternative, I considered getting one of those big plastic Hot Wheels pocket sheets... the kind designed to hang on the back of a door and display all the cars. I wasn't sure if the beasts would all fit comfortably in the clear plastic pockets designed for the cars though... didn't feel like buying one to test it out.

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have always had mad love for Battle Beasts...I remember being nuts about them as a kid. I am tying to get as many as I can...I currently have 11 of the US BB's, and one pair MOSC.

It's pretty slow going because they can get quite pricey, but one of these days I will focus more money into it for sure.

18. SMOG

I never got around to taking pics of them, but maybe I will...

I always intended to auction my spares off, but never got around to it. I think I have about 60 loose spare beasts all together. Some of them are doubles, but some are triples, quadruples, etc... "tribes" I guess. :) 

They vary quite a bit, though as you might imagine it's mostly the more common Beasts that I have spares of. My friend Greg, who I knew for years, and only recently discovered was a huge BattleBeast fan, has -hundreds- of spares. His level of care is a step removed from me even... he keeps all of his in a giant bin... basically a plastic trashcan with a lid. I have to say it's quite the sight to open it up and see nothing but a teeming, multicoloured mass of Battlbeasts piled on top of each other, like a container of bulk food. :) 

I'm also pretty much indifferent to whether they still have their rub signs... I never really cared for the rub-sign gimmick when I was a kid, so now some of mine have them, and others don't.

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Battle Beasts rocked!! (and still do, for that matter) I so wish they would bring them back....I just picked some up the other day locally for the first time in more than a decade (I refuse to buy 'em off e-bay, waaaay too much and the hunt is half the fun) for a steal of a price. Needless to say, I was psyched!

If you guys haven't been there yet, check out:

www.beastformers.com

for everything Battle Beasts, including many collection pics.

Edit: Okay, so I should have read the second page before I posted. But, hey, now we have 2 working links! Hooray!

20. Orodruin

News Credits:
    Y'know, I've got 5 of my Myclones on one CDR case, 2 history figures atop another, and THS-01 on another stack. :p 

As to rubsigns, I don't care that much about them either, it's getting the weapons that's a pain. For anyone who doesn't know, Reprolabels makes BB rubsigns now. They even make the rare Sunburst rub, so be careful if you're after a Sunburst Lion or whatever it is. There's a thread somewhere on Beastformers that'll tell you more and point out how to spot the difference.