Anybody have a home 3D printer?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've been thinking about getting a Makerbot thingomatic kit a lot lately. At $1100 it's not cheap but it's affordable. Just building it sounds like a ton of fun.

Anyway, anybody have a home 3D printer? I know it wouldn't be high enough resolution for small parts, but the thought of printing my own transformers (and pretty much anything else) is beyond tempting.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I met these guys at NYCC, and been following their product for several years. I've debated it, and the price on the bot's gone down a TON since they first made them available; but when factoring in "print" time (a small simple 2"x2" part would take 6-8 hours) and everything else - it's much more practical to use shapeways.

3. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The print time has been improved greatly, just saw a youtube where a guy prints a gym coach-type whistle in 29 minutes on a thingomatic. I'm more worried about resolution.

Still isn't breaking any speed records, but with the thingomatic you can set it to print a ton of different things from an SD card and it will spit them out automatically one after another. Set it and forget it (assuming it's reliable enough to trust walking away from it for a long time).

I've been having dreams about the damn thing. My wife would kill me if I dropped that kind of cash on something like this, but I need it. Must convince her.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I wonder what type of learning curve there is.
    Not to mention the creation of 3D content.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can download tons of free models from this place called thingverse that are ready to print. They even have a few transformer ones, all ready to go.

I don't know jack about CAD software but I'd learn it in a hurry for this. Learning about it and tinkering with it is half the fun.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    trust me, I am still tempted, but i'm having a hard time seeing how practical this type of machine would be for TF type projects. the resolution/detail isn't good enough. For that odd part here or there, it might work, but with shapeways turning out a piece in a few days, and the plethora of artists you can sub-contract for original designs....

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's not suitable for making precision TFs from scratch, no, but I'd use it for plenty of other things.

If I get one it would totally be for hobby and fun. I'm surprised nobody around here has taken the plunge.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I considered buying a 3D printer from Alibre. They have the CAD software I use. Of all the professional grade programs, it's the cheapest. Though their printer is like $1,600. I hadn't considered it seriously enough to shop around. Mainly due to the fact that I can get Shapeways to print stuff for me a lot cheaper. Doubt I'll spend anywhere close to $1,600 with them. Also doubt I could do prints for other people to make that money back. Again, Shapeways quality and pricing can't be beat. Even printing the MasterShooter designs to test them, it's cheaper to use Shapeways.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    exactly the point. if you can justify the amount spent, then it's feasible. then again, if it's a "toy" you just wanna have fun with, that's a whole different thing. I have several samples from makebot, they are durable and detailed.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So now I've discovered the printrbot. At $500 I'm buying one as soon their online store goes live - and I can sneak it into the house and not tell the wife. ;) 

printrbot - Home

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You'll have to take some pics of the printed parts when you get it so we can see how they come out. For $500, it may be worth a purchase. Really depends on how much the material costs and how well the detail comes out.

I hope it's not like computer printers. The printer itself is relatively cheap, but they get you on the ink cartridges...

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The plastic spools aren't so bad but upon looking at the reviews and the new bigger version this is fairly comparable to the dot matrix printer. Imagine flash on every layer. Sure it can be sanded smooth on a flat surface but intricate things would be a pain. It is abs plastic though and heated properly so at least that aspect is good in that the final product is solid (they even made an rc car from it).

MakerBot Projects - YouTube

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can source the plastic filament from several sources. I've seen it for as low as $13/kg.