Anybody have a clue when we can expect Hasbro MP Grimlock to go down in value?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Predaking, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I really want to get another MP Grimlock (for the crown and to fiddle with) but the $70 price tag is bit too high for my liking. I know those TFs will eventually go down in value or put on clearance. If anybody out there knows when TRU typically have a big sale on TFs or how long they usually keep an item on shelve before they do clearance on it I'd appreciate it.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

I just bought one today, and felt ashamed for spending so much on one. Really hope they don't go down too soon, I'll cry.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Maybe for a short time after Xmas, or when Summer approaches and the next movie line starts coming out.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    When hell freezes over?

He may go down to $60 later, MAYBE. That's assuming he stays on the shelves long enough.

5. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

Me Grimlock not go on clearance. Me bash brains! :dunce 

6. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Probably never, at least not here. Every time I see one or two they are gone quickly. They also are not showing up in the numbers that the seekers did at walmart. There were about 10-12 Skywarps at every walmart I had been to and there are A LOT of Walmarts, there have been 2 Grimlocks every time I see them tops.

7. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TrU doesn't necessarily put everything on clearance, no matter how long product sits around. Some stuff they do, some they don't. It's hard to say what they will or will not mark down.

The Universe Unicron collected dust here for over a year before the last one finally sold and it was never marked down - just an example.

I'd say if you really want it, but can't drop the $70 all at once, put it on lay-away.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bingo.

It's TRU, they virtually never clearance any of their TF exclusives unless they've been sitting on the shelf for an obscene amount of time. Those "Gathering at Nemesis" sets that have been sitting around since near the beginning of RotF? They just started clearancing those recently. Same with the Bludgeon/Whirl and Hoist/Mixmaster sets. And, of course, Darkwind and Countdown, who have been out about as long and still haven't seen a price drop. Heck, I remember seeing Movie 1 exclusives (Blackout/Scorponok) still on shelves when RotF started. Even when they do reduce the price on stuff, the discount usually isn't very good.

TL;DR - If you want MP Grimlock on clearance, it'll be next fall, at the earliest, assuming they stay on shelves that long.

9. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    Wait for a coupon if you're a rewards member. I got mine for $60 thanks to a 20% off coupon.

10. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Considering many of us were happy to pay the Takara price, $60 is really a good deal for the figure. TRU won't clearance it, so I'd say just bite the bullet if you can find it.

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies. My local TRU has about 6 of them that's why I thought I can wait it out, but if it's gonna take at least a year before I see any change in price then I might as well buy it now. Not a rewards member so I won't be able to use the coupon. Oh well.

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I would say the only real shot in the near future is if TRU happens to run a BOGO 50%. Then you have to be lucky enough to find two at TRU that day, and need two.

The TRU near me is really spotty at stocking stuff. Only saw the insecticons and perceptor there once, while other people have reported that sitting on the shelves forever.

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Pretty much what everyone said....

14. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    I used to get coupons in the mail (along with catalogs) long before I joined the rewards program. I just meant if you were a rewards member, they email coupons to you sometimes. Keep an eye out for the mail.

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    it will NEVER happen, it will just go up in value like all the other hasbro MP releases have

damn starscream being so hard to find when he came out, he will cost me $100 to get....

what sucks is i can't get to a TRU....and basically all MP grimlocks are going for $100 on ebay.....guess i'll have to pay that price to get it....and it will be worth it, the figure is worth the initial takaratomy price, but getting grimlock for $70 to me would be a steal!

16. g1_fanatic

g1_fanatic Well-Known Member

I agree. You're best bet is possibly getting a 20% off coupon from TRU and using that to save some money. The other suggestion is maybe Ebay to see if anyone is willing to part out on a loose Grimlock for cheap.

17. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It's Toys R Us, if you want a toy cheap, hide it up in those flaps above the shelves, and take it down a decade later, it'll scan for a dollar.

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It took 25th Anniversary Prime a year and a half to see clearance at TRU around here. Unicron never hit clearance around here. And the Insecticons and Perceptor have yet to see a clearance as far as I know.

19. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

The rewards program is free, at least when i joined two years ago.
    it comes in handy quite well.especially for exclusives.

predaking, i also have yet to grab mp grimlock because of his price.
    im unemployed as of right now and the only TFs i can get until january are deluxes.
    ill get grimlock hopefully by april 2011,as im moving to denver, colorado to go to college,get a job and start making my first real step towards my future. By then ill be able to buy anything i want no matter the price.finally gonna have a 100% complete G1 megatron!

i say get him now while you can find him.he may be pricey but he is damn sure the best G1~inspired grimlock other than the original.but dont buy him because everybody else who did loves him.buy him because you truly love the character or masterpeice.or because you personally want this toy for your own collection.as ive heard "buy the toy not the hype"

if i had the money id already would have mp grimlock when i first saw him in tru a month ago.
    but dont listen to my problems with getting a expensive figure i want badly.
    buy it for your own enjoyment.

best of luck, pm me when you finally get one!
    ~porter

20. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

my guess is also never.

with christmas buying season,MP grimlock will most likely sell out in all TRU stores in america. then that will deplete the MP Grimlock supply. stores exclusives once there sold out don't get re-ordered.