Customs: anybody ever used this casting kit?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rdfnd1253, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Yes it's not bad

3. Rdfnd1253

Nice do the casts come out nice or a lot of air bubbles? Do they have a clear resin i could use?

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    This looks pretty nice for someone like me who doesn't do much casting. I wonder if I could just use Play-Do for molds...

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They sell this kit at hobby lobby, fyi. Dunno how much though.

6. Rdfnd1253

Is it possible to use this to cast big convoy tusks? I think that would take 2 molds....the top of the tusk and the bottom tusk?

Never casted anything in my life

7. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Just the resin is 20 bucks at hobby lobby

8. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, you can cast the tusks with a 2 part mold, and proper venting. You'll either need to make a set of molds for each tusk, or a big one with both. Since this resin cures quickly, I'd recommend making separate molds for each tusk.

9. Rdfnd1253

Does the resin feel the same as the original? Is it has hard as the original or more bendy or harder?

10. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When you talk about the "feel", it will depend on the type of resin, and how the molds were prepared, as well as the release agent you use to condition and keep the molds in shape.

I don't use Alumilite resin, so I can't speak for it. But I do know depending how well you mix the resin parts together, can effect the bendiness. If the ratio of the two parts is off, you will get a bendier cast. Some resins are stronger than others when mixed properly.

Since your new to casting, you should also be aware that resin shrinks when cured. So for example, if you cast RTS Jazz's gun, the casted copies' peg might be a bit looser than the originals, due to the resin shrinking once cured.

Theres a lot of things to learn. Best way is to learn by trial and error, in my opinion. Thats how I pretty much learned how to cast, and still learn more about it.

11. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Sweet info, cheers, I've been reading up and watching tutorials this past week. I'd like to cast pieces I hope to print from Shapeways down the line. I've a question or two. That kit looks perfect for just having an experiment with it.

1) As you said above there is a degree of shrinkage after the resin sets, do I need to accommodate for that if I design a ball joint and socket, or will the shrinkage be in proportion?

2) Does anyone know the best material from Shapeways to make a mould from?

12. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Venksta brings up some good points

i use allumilite,i have tried a few others and was not as happy with the results (which all boils down to personal preference so im not bashing the other companies)

i wont say allumilite is brittal (sp*) but with enough force it will break instead of bending like an abs plastic, but you physicallly have to be trying to break it for this to occur.

i personlly have not had a problem with shrinkage with allumilite, not with my weapons or heads or atleast not that i have noticed. But venksta has been doing this for far longer than i have, so it is something to think about

if you do experience shrinkage for it to be proportionate the ball and the joint would have to be cast in the same mold and out of the same batch of resin. unless you get your mix ratio's exactly perfect. but im guessing shrinkage may be proportionate to the he the amount of heat created during the cureing process so it would also depend on the size of the parts, larger parts create more head due to the amount of resin filling the cavity, and smaller area's sometimes take more time to cure, i experience that part a lot with some of the barrels and %mm pegs on my casts

i han an endevour going to cast some stuff from shapeways, the only material i didnt get to try was ultra frosted detail. with the other materials there was some smoothing required before it would yield a clean part