Anybody else worried about their figures ten\twenty years from now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Knightdramon, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    During the last five years that I've started to collect again I've come across various figures-chogokin series, yamato macross series, revoltechs and pretty much every transformers line.

I'm no engineering genius-I just know enough to be able to voice my concern about the long-term durability of the figures on our hands.

It's pretty obvious that the more you play with a figure, the more worn it's going to be (always talking about the joints and paint). Moulded plastic stays fine, but painted on details [BB 08 stripes, CL Mirage's sponsors and so on] will wear out and the ball joints will become increasingly loose. Ratchet joints won't last forever either; my RID Megatron is starting to show wear on his shoulders because the arms are too heavy when he's holding the dual sabres.

I've heard [but not sure] that clear plastic is more fragile than opaque and hence I'm skeptical about my BT-18 or any of the clear display stands I've got from Bandai.

Moreover, all plastic tends to discolour [much like the yellowing of earlier 80ies toys], just not that noticeably perhaps at the moment. Who's to say that in ten years my Classics Bumblebee won't be of a faded lime colour?

And to add to the annoyance of it all, whenever a new figure is announced one of the first things I look for is what types of joints are used, not always for articulation, but for durability, and what sort of weight each joint carries. Rubber used on toys is also a concern of mine [see Movie Prime longstacks, Alts tires and whole suit frames on 1/6 figures]. My MP-01 Megatron's gun shoulder stock broke off because the rubber wrapped.

Anybody else sharing at least some of my concerns? I don't "play" at all with my figures, just leave them posed but I'm already worrying about their long-term longevity just by that.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I look to the past to see what's to come. All my BW stuff is fine. All my RID stuff is fine. All my Armada stuff is fine. I expect all my Classics, Alts, Animated, and Movie stuff to be fine 5-10 years from now, assuming it's still in my posession.

Unless they switch to a plastic that isn't petroleum based, I don't really see any changes in how long things will last.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I have a vintage Optimal optimus complete with accesories in good condinton.
    I bought it last year.

The only figure that may not survive years from now maybe Masterpiece Megatron.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

the only things I'm worried about are what I've heard others have had problems with:

1. bw tm2 era vacuum chrome flaking off

2. rid era tires decaying

3. yellowing of all white plastic

5. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Worry about original G1 figures in twenty years- the plastic will have degraded to the point where it breaks in the fashion of the Gold Plastic Syndrome figures today by then.

Your Classics BB should still be fine for play until 2040 or so.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well pretty much ALL colors of plastic yellow, not just white (though I've no idea what black could turn into...).

For example, I once saw this Fort Max who was so badly yellowed he looked like he had been urinated on, and his dark blue parts had become this sickly shade of green.

7. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Hopefully theres been some advances in plastics in the 20 years between G1 and now that will see our TFs last for a longer time than some of the G1's that are now falling apart. Rubber tyers are a real worry tho, if you live in a place with low humidity then they will dry up and break apart.

8. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    My oldest non-G1 stuff is beast wars.

The only wear and tear I can tell are.

Flaking on the transmetal chrome.
    Causalities of my childhood.

There is some slight wear on a couple joints but nothing serious.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'll worry about it when I get there. I hope the G1s don't crumble by then, but it's not like you can't handle them gently to get around some of the problems. Dismantling them and lightly filing the joints to reduce friction, while making joints looser, also reduces the chance of stress breakage. That's what I did to my Transmetal Megatron to fix a couple of problem areas I identified.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Depends on where you keep them too.

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Nothing you can really do about it. The palstic is going to break down whether it is MISP or displayed on a shelf.
    If you take care of them you can reduce the damage but worrying about it is kinda pointless.
    Probably the best thing you can do is keep them out of direct sunlight...
    [​IMG]

12. Petro-rabbit

Petro-rabbit Why so serious?

I wouldn't be too worried about the condition of my tf's in 10 years they seem durable enough to last that long... And paint yellowing can be avoided if they are kept out of sunlight.

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not too worried. I still have some G1 toys that seem in new condition (other than stickers) so I think today's toys will be still good in 20 years, provided they're taken care of.

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Desert Metroplex! :D 

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That could be a custom right there.

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Cheddarplex, is that you? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, BUDDY? /drama

17. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WIN!

18. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

The only thing I really worry about is when I move.... I want all my figures to make it to the new home. It's gonna be a lot of work packing all them up...

Thats why i try to keep my boxes for the more fragile stuff...

19. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Not really. Since I move a lot the worse thing that can happen is I lose a box, but even then I dont have a lot to take with me. They're usually on display unless I want to TF them. But hey, that's what they're for.

20. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    It's the nature of our hobby that we're collecting toys that are typically meant to be obsolete very quickly, so it's natural that some of them will degrade over time. I definitely share the concerns of the original poster, and I try to prevent as many problems as I can (mostly direct sunlight), but I think that it's hard to anticipate the problems that we'll see down the road.

The rubber tires from G1 seem to have held up relatively well, so it was a surprise to me that the RiD tires degraded so quickly. I recently checked my RiD Prime, and he appears to be in good shape right now. Does this mean I got a good, durable, batch, or is he *cue melodrama* a ticking time bomb. Since RiD, I've been concerned about my TFs with rubber tires, but who knows if they'll be a problem.

Plastic degradation is another issue that we're likely to face. Most collectors know that light colored plastic can become discolored by sunlight, and luckily there are steps that can be taken to mitigate that. Even the most careful collectors can't do much to prevent discoloration due to the plastic itself breaking down. I'm pretty picky with what TFs I buy, so I typically avoid bright white plastics unless I really like the figure, but there are any number of plastics that can change colors or simply fall apart with time. 15 years ago, who would have guessed that gold plastic would fall apart today as soon as you take it out of the package?

Bottom line, I think that most of the toys that we're buying right now are going to be around for a very long time, but there are going to be some isolated toys / lines that will be more prone to degradation than others

As for my holy grail, a MISB Galaxy Force Backgild, I just purchased an AFA UV resistant case for it. It's probably overkill, but I feel better.