Anybody else like the older toys better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FartRipper67, Dec 12, 2009.

1. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

Even they were less articulated, and generally less screen-accurate, the older toys are still #1 in my book.

No, not for the nostalgia reason, I got my first reissue a few months ago, never owned any of the originals.

Look at the accessories, today we're lucky to get a gun and one missile. The older toys you got multiple weapons, whether it be guns, swords, missile launchers.. and they came with multiple projectiles, like G2 Dreadwing... he came with 14!

Even in transformations, I find the older transformations far more satisfying than modern toys. Click, click, turn this, pop this out and you're done. Sure they don't look the best but I find it way more fun to go from alt, robot, and back to alt mode again in a matter of seconds.

Anybody else feel this way?

Just an opinion, not trolling or anything of the sort.

2. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Its just the charm that old toys have compared to newer ones

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're less stressful to transform and yes, for me they would be easier to play with as a kid...but the lack of posability does hurt. There are strengths and weaknesses to both. I guess Classics is the best of both worlds for me.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I do, I can appreciate their simplicity of design and frankly compare to some of the hair pulling pain the butt transformations some of todays toys have ( yes im looking at you ROTF leader prime) they are a breath of fresh air, and the ability to switch quickly is a breath of fresh air.

With many of the vintage G1's I have bought i did not need to find instructions as they are highly intuitive in how they transform, and even those I have needed Instructions for i usually only needed them once. this holds true for many of the later figs such as G2, Beast wars and on up the the less complicated figs from the Unicron trilogy and even most the Animated line, the movie line, especially Voyagers on up get complicated very quickly.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'm the exact opposite. I'll sacrifice 14 accessories for one solid transformation scheme that's accurate, posable, and involved.

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Well for me I PERFER the G1's over some of the new stuff, but then again some of the NEW stuf DOES have some really great features. So I am on the fence about it as well.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I grew up with G1, I like a little in all TF lines. As for accessories is involved. A large part of the ones available in past lines was due to less restrictive toy laws.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'd hate to be a kid into Transformers nowadays, because the toys are mostly so much harder to convert. But I'm not a kid so screw them! I'll take the newer toys over the older!

9. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only G1 figures I actually seem to like is Hot Rod, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Predaking. However, I like the stuff from Beasts Wars and RID that are "older" but not the oldest. Some of the new stuff is just totally awesome though such as Cybertron and Animated. Even though the movie lines aren't my favorite, there are still lots of gems in there too.

So yeah I like older toys, but not G1 old. :p 

10. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

G1 is mostly bit quaint (read: silly) looking these days, if you strip away the rose-tinted veneer of nostalgia.

for me it's all about shockwave, grimlock and soundwave from G1, however comparing g1 shockwave/grimlock to ani shocky/grimmy, the more recent toys are simply much, much better regardless of whether you like the animated aesthetic.

soundwave i'm undecided on, the g1 toy looks a bit goofy, but he does have one of the best toy gimmicks ever and an awesome voice.

11. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    I love the dinobots and the baseformers (Trypticon, Metroplex).
    G1 Soundwave has yet to been bested.

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the involved, complicated transformations of some of the modern lines. It makes the final product that much more satisfying, especially when you get the articulation and posability thrown in. Sure, the old figures were good when they were new, but compared to modern designs and engineering, don't have an articulated foot to stand on.

Honestly, if they updated in Universe or Classics some of the G1 figures I actually kept, I'd dump the G1 versions in a heartbeat (as long as they were new molds and not crappy A/E/C repaints).

13. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I'm a big articulation lover, so I guess I don't like the older toys more, even though I love some of the designs. Which is why I'm a huge Classics fan. :D 

Although I do like G1 Jetfire.

14. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

One thing I like better about the G1 toys or the first couple of years at least as that's what I'm most familiar with is the quality of the paint apps and general detailing such as rubber tyres on the vehicles, chromed weapons and diecast parts.

Today's TF's obviously have superior engineering in the transformations and considerably more poseability but if you look at the Movie lines in particular the vast majority of toys look like Has/Tak slapped them together without making any significant effort in detailing them properly which results in some of the most dull looking TF's ever and of the ones I've bought only the HA's and a customised Sideways stay on display at all times.

15. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

But why'd you want to do that?
    Comparing old to new without the history of it is what's silly to me.

New toys are objectively better in most all respects; however that doesn't keep me from loving the old ones.

Look at it this way, a new Mitsubishi Lancer evo is an astonishingly better car than a Ferrari 250 GTO, though which would you rather have?
    One of the above recently sold for £15.7 millions, the other one will never be considered a classic, though in every technical respect it is the better car.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If you were alive to know what cassettes are, then G1 Soundwave could possibly be the best toy of all time. Everything about him and the cassettes oozed coolness and badassery.

But as a whole, the newer toys are hands down cooler IMO. Besides MP Prime, no other Prime can hold a candle to ROTF Leader Prime. Also Animated Leader Megatron can also be put around the top of the list as well.

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Transformers as toys peaked with the Cybertron, Classics and Animated lines. Since then, we've seen increasingly fiddly, awkward transformations that sacrifice playability for screen accuracy in the case of Movie/ROTF lines, or the hell of it with some Universe stuff.

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Have to agree with that. Because of the designs, these toys are easier to transform and way more sturdy. Keywords here of course are 'as toys'..I'm not playing with them anyway.

19. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    yeah but kids are not going to care if it can be posed to look like a pretzel...they are going to care what the vehicle and robot looks like....and the older TF's had lots of better weapons and accesories that did things...like shoot missles...now modern TFs rarely come with weapons unless you get a ultra or larger....missles yes...but not hand held weapons...

20. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

the new and the old have their good points. With G1 toys, you can usually picture them transforming on the fly the way the toy transformers. On the other hand, once they transform they are about as poseable as a nutcracker.