Customs: Anybody else have trouble painting Neo Shifters Plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TonyzCustomz, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been working on a commission that should have been done a long time ago but the darn plastic from the neoshifters is giving me problems. I cant use alcohol to clean it or else it just falls apart so I though water and soap would be ok but when I primer it I wait a few days for it to cure and even after a few days I can pretty much take the paint off with my nail. Anyone else ran into this problem? How about those who have painted them, what did you use? Thanks for any help fellow Radicons.

I feel like such a :noob  right now.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Haven't painted any yet (got a few WIP that use them though), but I'd imagine that Krylon Fusion would bond with it. Don't quote me on it though--other than that, not sure. I know they are a hard/brittle type of plastic that seems to have some kind of coating to it (it feels almost slick, almost like it still has mold residue on some).

I'd try either Krylon Fusion (you wouldn't need a primer, necessarily) or try a Krylon Fusion Primer (assuming they make one--haven't checked). Good luck with this, bro!

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    my trick is to find them in the color you need. I have orange, black, green, white and red ones.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I had no problems painting the neo-shifte joints I used on Cy-Kill. I used Tamiya chrome on them after washing them in soap and water.

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the tips bro. They do have a wierd feel to them that I am beginning to hate.
    Where do you find the other colors? All I can ever find is Fusion Black at walmart(they seem to be the only store in my area too). Also how do you prep it? you mention you use thinner but will that work on this type of plastic? Just brushing Alcohol onto it make it brittle and break.
    SO no primer and tamiya was good huh? Maybe cause they are alcohol based and broke the tension down without turning the plastic brittle? Might have to try this as buying another can of fusion is not what I really wanna do unless I have too.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I also used a brush if that helps.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    no no no ....

I meant the actual neo-shifters. they come in a variety of colors. I stocked up on the black ones, so I don't paint the pegs.

Walmart should have the typical camoflauge colors which adhere the best in my opinion, they have black, brown, green and beige. You might get away with custom mixing some colors into those bases.

I do a wash with thinner, seems to break down the outermost layer of the plastic, that might work also.

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I used a Krylon black base coat after I cleaned it. The only problem area was the joints.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've not used any yet, but when I do, I won't paint 'em but dye 'em since they're moving parts.