Anybody else getting sick of.........

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TIE Bomber, May 24, 2009.

1. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

.......seeing Bumblebee & Optimus Prime on every single ROTF item? I'm really getting sick of these 2 guys. It feels like they're the only 2 characters in the entire franchise. Even if they are popular this is getting a little extreme/sickening now. Is it possible to find a promotional item that has any other character on it? I'd love to see a poster with some different characters for a change.

Also, what's their thinking behind this? I don't get it. Everybody knows who Optimus & BB are by now. They're old news. Wouldn't it be smarter to push the new characters to get people excited? Does the average movie goer even know that Soundwave is in it? If they're gonna constantly push Optimus & BB for the Autobots why not have some posters with Starscream & Soundwave for the Decepticons? This is after all more of a Decepticon movie, kinda like The Empire Strikes Back of the Transformers franchise. The movie is called "The Revenge Of The Fallen" so what do they do? The push Optimus & Bumblebee who aren't getting revenge, aren't "the fallen" & aren't the main focus of the movie.

They have 1 beach towel in the stores. It's Optimus Prime. I already have it. Would it kill them to put out a few of the other characters? Get a little variety out there for consumers? Instead of giving consumers a choice & letting them choose their favorite characters, it's like they're telling us "you're favorite characters are Optimus Prime & Bumblebee". What would it have been like if they did this back when Star Wars came out? "You're favorite character is Luke Skywalker". You have no other choice. The only character you are allowed to buy is Luke Skywalker! We're putting Luke Skywalker on every single piece of merchandise. The other characters don't exist! Forget about them, you are only getting Luke Skywalker on every single piece of Star Wars merchandise!

Okay, I just had to get that off my chest. This has been bugging me for months.

2. Mach

Mach Grand Master

News Credits:
    I guess they just want to keep other things under wrap as long as they can.... Want us watch it in the movie, hopefully some surprise?

3. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I wish Ratchet would get some love, or dialog, or screen time.

The first movie was about Prime, BB and Megatron. The others didn't matter. The others had fewer lines than that football player who was dating Mikela (?sp?) at the beginning of the movie.

4. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are you talking about, Ratchet had quite alot of dialog in the movie. When they first arrive, Ratchet and prime were the main two talking about their purpose on earth. Ratchet also had the best line in it "The boy's pheromone levels suggests he wants to mate with the female" lol.

But i agree nonetheless with this thread. I feel optimus prime and bumblebee are the only two that matter, I've been hoping for some better toys, and maybe some posters of ratchet and ironhide, but doesn't look like it at all again.

5. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I agree. Megs should be on something sometime. Ironhide as well.

6. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Your post had more words than he did. He got the quote you mentioned...he said a couple words after getting electrocuted, and a line or two with prime. I do not consider that a lot of dialog. The football player had as many lines.

7. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I agree, I'm getting sick of seeing them everywhere. Don't get me wrong, OP and BB are awesome, but, How's about giving others a chance to shine?

Everyone was complaining about the first film how The humans hogged the spotlight.
    Looks like Bumblebee and Prime hog it this time around.

But, I'm sure The other characters will get their own posters and beachtowels and other stuff, Well, I can at least Megs, Screamer Devastator and The twins getting Posters and Beachtowels.

8. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    You are very right! Prime and Bumblebee are everwhere. There is the single Starscream poster (which I have never seen anywhere!), and a Megatron wall poster on Amazon.co.uk.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...thread titles that don't actually tell you what the thread is about, thus making you waste time clicking on them only to discover that it's something you wouldn't have normally read anyway?
    Yes.

10. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

This one is all Optimus, BB, and the twins for the Autobots it seems and Megatron, Starscream, and the Fallen for the Decepticons. The other characters will have lines and roles, but they probably won't be focused on. I am sad to see that Soundwave and Arcee had to turn out this way because they were really cool characters and both have large fan bases. Hopefully in TF3 they will focus a little bit more on character development more than ...oh who am I kidding. It's not Michael Bay if it isn't epic explosions and odd humor.

11. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

I definetly argree, marketing old characters all the time cant be overly effective. As long as i can see alot of sideswipe, ironhide and soundwave in this film thern i will be happy.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Yes, but they're recognizable to kids. End of story.

13. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Needs more Sideswipe!

14. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    how about in the next indiana jones film they dont show him on the posters and show the new bad guys instead

15. megatron784

megatron784 Well-Known Member

yeah im surprised they havnt put something else on the merchendise, its getting old with OP and BB, starscream would be a nice change, they need to premote all the charactors.

16. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

In come circles it's called "Centering"; giving the audience a character or characters to connect with to help bridge the gap between the sell and the buy. Each and every movie has center points, and for franchises, especially tough sells like TF, the points are offered repeatedly until a need to shift the paradigm presents itself. For TF, OP, BB and Sam are the major center points; for TF2 Mikaela has been elevated to that status to a certain extent.

17. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

Exactly! Everybody already knows who Prime & BB are from the 1st movie. Now they need to push some other characters & make them as popular as Prime & BB already are. They don't need to keep pushing characters that are already popular.

Back when The Empire Strikes Back came out they pushed Boba Fett, Yoda & Lando Calrissian. You could send proof of purchase seals in to get a free Boba Fett figure mailed to you. Then later you could get a free Yoda mailed to you. It got the kids going mental (myself included), we couldn't wait to see who these new characters were. No, Boba Fett & Yoda weren't recognizable with the kids, nobody knew who the hell they were! But that's what raised the hype for the new movie. This time we didn't even get preview figures or a Pepsi contest like we did for the first movie. They might as well just call it Bumblebee:Revenge Of The Fallen or "Optimus & Bumblebee Go To White Castle".

18. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    As your typical fan of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, nope, not at all. Seeing those characters always gets me excited. How could I ever get sick of someone as awsome as those two? If they kept on showing Megatron, Blackout or Starscream, then I'd be pissed off. Hate Decepticons...

19. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

I'm not sick of seeing Optimus, but I do wish there was a bit more focused paid to the other TF's as well.

After reading the RotF novel I was a little sad to see the bots didn't get as much dialogue or anything. It seems like the same kind of characterizing from the first movie. Things will explode and look cool, but it doesn't seem like we'll get to learn more about the individual bots much.

Guess Bee and Prime are just the poster children for the whole TF:Movie line. They're the most recognized.